• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Any good scooter forums?

I'm toying around with the idea of picking up a scooter for my commute to work. I'd heard some of them are capable of upwards of 100-150mpg and am looking for a forum to learn more about them. So far, all the forums I've found are very limited in the number of posts, is anyone familiar with a popular scooter forum?

Last year I was considering the motorcycle route, but a) the wife isn't too happy about it and b) it appears I can get a scooter for a fraction of the price of the bikes I've been looking at.

Thanks!

I knew scooters were just going to get hotter.

Rob, a good scooter isn't that much cheaper than a motorcycle and IMO a motorcycle is much safer assuming you don't act crazier on the motorcycle just because you can. Your visibility, agility, etc. is all much better.

I like Aprilia scooters but they aren't cheap. My friend bought a used one for 3-4 grand but it was automatic and damn fun to ride.

and let's not forget there are plenty of older, relatively smaller, motorcycles to be had on craigslist, etc!

i drive a 1500cc goldwing, but also have a ct 70 ('71 or '72, i think) and a '69 160 (all hondas)... and i'm sure there are thousands of small-med bikes to be had. i was thinking about it over the weekend and i think i'll refresh the 160 a bit, then give it to our oldest son for tooling around town. iirc, the 160 gets ~75 mpg and the 70, well... that's gotta be >100mpg (but too small for practical, safe street use).

hal

Thanks, I used google as well and checked out a bunch of forums before posting here, they were all junk, but that provo one looks pretty decent, and it's vBulletin which is always a plus for me.

just searched for Vespa (one of the brands sold here that I know has a good, loyal following) and stumbled across those.

I do hope they help.

No interest in Vespa which is why I didn't use that search term, too much $$ and IMO you're paying for the name, but the Provo one seems to cater to all brands. My goal is really to look at all brands for something that meets my requirements and I made a post to that effect in the Provo newbie forums.

No interest in Vespa which is why I didn't use that search term, too much $$ and IMO you're paying for the name, but the Provo one seems to cater to all brands. My goal is really to look at all brands for something that meets my requirements and I made a post to that effect in the Provo newbie forums.

I figured that was where you were going. I searched Vespa just to get a different set of result from what I assumed you had found.

Please, let me know what you find. I have a 10 mile commute each way, and I am considering the same (or a small motorcycle). I'm interested in what kind of information you can compile...

Will do, my commute is also about 10 miles. My G35 gets about 20MPG, so between the commute and the occasional errand, I'm spending $60 every 2-3 weeks filling it up. I'm also putting in regular instead of premium (which is recommended but not mandatory) as are many other G35 owners without any noticeable downside.

My Provo post is here if you want to follow any responses:

http://www.provoscooter.com/vbull/showthread.php?p=118562#post118562

Will do, my commute is also about 10 miles. My G35 gets about 20MPG, so between the commute and the occasional errand, I'm spending $60 every 2-3 weeks filling it up. I'm also putting in regular instead of premium (which is recommended but not mandatory) as are many other G35 owners without any noticeable downside.

My Provo post is here if you want to follow any responses:

http://www.provoscooter.com/vbull/showthread.php?p=118562#post118562

will follow.

I have a 2001 Integra GSR I drive daily, and I get about 30mpg, but I have vehicle ADD, so I am always looking for something different.

Chopping off 2 wheels is about as different as I can get.

As of this moment, if I'm going to take the plunge (not sure yet, just kind of window shopping, need to run the numbers by the wife especially since she just signed my 3 year old up for Montessori in Sept... ouch), I'm leaning heavily toward an Aprilia SR50. A new 2007 (the newest year available in the US right now) can be had for $2500. I'm waiting to find out shipping costs to NH, no sales tax in NH, and here in MA if it's 50cc or under, you don't have to register it or have a motorcycle license and can even ride in designated bicycle lanes (or so I've read in forums, need to validate all this). If you "derestrict" it, it will do 50mph, it will carry up to about 400lbs, had seating for 2 and gets 90+ mpg.

I'm still researching and nobody at that forum has answered me, but so far of all the info I've gathered, that's the way I'm leaning.

Not digging these laws now that I've actually gone and looked....

20mph max
no passengers
no operation after sunset

Chapter 90: Section 1E. Motorized scooters; operation regulations

Section 1E. A motorized scooter shall not be operated on any way by a person not possessing a valid driver’s license or learner’s permit, nor at a speed in excess of 20 miles per hour. A person operating a motorized scooter upon a way shall have the right to use all public ways in the commonwealth except limited access or express state highways where signs specifically prohibiting scooters or bicycles have been posted, and shall be subject to all traffic laws and regulations of the commonwealth and the regulations contained in this section, except that: (1) a scooter operator shall keep to the right side of the road at all times, including when passing a motor vehicle which is moving in the travel lane of the way; and (2) the scooter shall be equipped with operational stop and turn signals so that the operator can keep both hands on the handlebars at all times. No person shall operate a motor scooter upon any way at any time after sunset or before sunrise.

A person operating a motorized scooter shall wear protective headgear conforming with such minimum standards of construction and performance as the registrar may prescribe. No person operating a motorized scooter shall permit any other person to ride as a passenger on the scooter.

A person convicted of a violation of this section shall be punished by a fine of not more than $25 for the first violation, not less than $25 nor more than $50 for a second violation and not less than $50 nor more than $100 for a third or subsequent violation.

Honestly rob your best bet is just get a used Kawasaki Ninja 250cc. If your wife is concerned about your safety it's superior to any scooter-even the RS50 which is a great machine. You'll have no registration/use limitation issues with an actual motorcycle The gas mileage is still excellent and the tires, brakes, engine, everything is designed to last MUCH longer for much cheaper. Visibility is better and it's much safer to ride in adverse weather conditions. Resale is also absolutely excellent while the RS50 is a little bit of a specialty market.

FYI, I've commuted on motorcycles for the past 4 years+ year round. I take a car to work/school maybe a dozen times a year tops. I've been around the block on this one and I think you'd be better off on something more versatile. It'll also encourage you to get better protective gear because scooter riders seem to think the concrete they ride on is softer than those with 'real' motorcycles which I assure you is not the case.

If you get an aprilia, MAKE SURE IT IS A DITECH. Fuel injection is the only way to go. I have an Aprilia SR50 but it's carbed, leovinci carbon pipe, lighter rollers, minor mods. On the flats, I've hit 53mph tucked, but an easy 45-50 when there's no wind sitting up right. I weight 210 lbs.

If you're gonna get a 50cc, the SR50 ditech is the ONLY way to go. Larger size, I'd still stick with a euro scooter.

Everything else is junk, or just not as good.

Aprilia Forum has a scooter section. There's lots of good scooter forums though.

BTW, "motorized scooter" isn't the scooters like we're thinking (ex. SR50, Zuma, Vespa, etc)

Many states consider motorized scooter to be the those stand up types and some even with a tiny seat. But the primary operation is to be standing up when it comes to "motorized scooter".

Scooters like mine are considered a "motorcycle".

I sort of liked the idea of not having to register/pay tax, but that may not be reality.... however I used to own a Ninja ZX6 and I honestly don't think my messed up back can handle a bent over riding position and I sort of liked the idea that with a scooter, the wife could use it as well for quick around town errands. If it were entirely up to me, I'd just get a V-Star, but I'm trying to be practical, max out gas mileage and get the wife approval factor all at the same time.

If you get an aprilia, MAKE SURE IT IS A DITECH. Fuel injection is the only way to go. I have an Aprilia SR50 but it's carbed, leovinci carbon pipe, lighter rollers, minor mods. On the flats, I've hit 53mph tucked, but an easy 45-50 when there's no wind sitting up right. I weight 210 lbs.

If you're gonna get a 50cc, the SR50 ditech is the ONLY way to go. Larger size, I'd still stick with a euro scooter.

Everything else is junk, or just not as good.

Aprilia Forum has a scooter section. There's lots of good scooter forums though.

From what I read, it would be difficult to find a recent one that isn't Dietech. I'm looking at a new 2007 SR50 R Factory - $2499 which includes derestriction. I was originally looking used on craigslist, but everything I've found is as much or more than new for an earlier year with mileage. I'm waiting to hear back about MA laws and definitions of motor scooters vs. motorcycles, etc from the NMA MA chapter guys.

10 miles on a scooter is perfectly do-able even with a 50 as long as you're on regular surface streets and not a highway. I'm commuting on my SR50 scooter for college everyday and that's 25-30 miles round trip.Sometimes up to 60 miles from running around. I take just about as long on my scooter as I do driving my truck, nsx being the exception.

If you're not required to drive on a road with a limt over 50mph, there really isn't much need to buy anything bigger. I also commuted for 6 years on a sportbike, 120 miles round trip. I was required to run on highways though.

This summer alone, the scooter will save me over $1000 in fuel costs.

From what I read, it would be difficult to find a recent one that isn't Dietech. I'm looking at a new 2007 SR50 R Factory - $2499 which includes derestriction. I was originally looking used on craigslist, but everything I've found is as much or more than new for an earlier year with mileage. I'm waiting to hear back about MA laws and definitions of motor scooters vs. motorcycles, etc from the NMA MA chapter guys.

$2500 is a KILLER deal. See if you can get them to sweeten it a little bit more like $2500 otd. Aprilia didn't send over 2008 models, instead they went from 2007-2009. I hear you east coast guys are getting great deals on those SR50's. Other than derestriction, the only other upgrade I'd highly recommend is an exhaust w/ different rollers and springs. The rollers and springs usually come with the exhaust. Exhausts are cheap too, less than $200.

There are other little derestriction tricks you can do that I don't think is included in the package and will raise the top speed.

Ah ha... here we go.... it's considered a 'moped', not a 'motorized scooter'.

Moped Definition and Requirements

According to Massachusetts law, a moped is a "motorized bicycle." In order to be classified as a moped, the vehicle must:

* Have a cylinder capacity of no more than 50 cubic centimeters.
* Have an automatic transmission.
* Be capable of a maximum speed of no more than 30 miles per hour.
* Comply with all applicable federal motor vehicle safety standards.

A moped sticker, issued by the RMV, must be affixed to the moped. This sticker will not be issued unless the vehicle meets the above requirements.
Operating Requirements

Moped operators are subject to the traffic laws, rules and regulations of the Commonwealth.

Mopeds will have the right to use all public ways in the Commonwealth, except limited access or express state highways where signs prohibiting bicycles have been posted.

Mopeds may use bicycle lanes next to various ways but are excluded from off street recreational paths.

Moped operators must signal their intention to stop or turn by using either hand.

Mopeds may keep right when passing a motor vehicle which is in the travel lane of a way.
Restrictions When Operating a Moped

Mopeds will not be operated:

* By any person under 16 years of age.
* By any person who does not have a valid license or permit.
* At a speed greater than 25 miles per hour.
* Without the operator and any passenger wearing a DOT standard helmet.

and let's not forget there are plenty of older, relatively smaller, motorcycles to be had on craigslist, etc!

i drive a 1500cc goldwing, but also have a ct 70 ('71 or '72, i think) and a '69 160 (all hondas)... and i'm sure there are thousands of small-med bikes to be had. i was thinking about it over the weekend and i think i'll refresh the 160 a bit, then give it to our oldest son for tooling around town. iirc, the 160 gets ~75 mpg and the 70, well... that's gotta be >100mpg (but too small for practical, safe street use).

hal

* That really brings back memories- I restored a 60's Honda 160 (SL I think), when I was a teenager and drove it to college everyday in the early 70's, it got 90 mpg. Tons of fun in the hills too. I wouldn't drive it on the highway but perfect for short commutes.

Attachments

• Honda160.jpg
    Honda160.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 52
I was feeling my wife out today about the whole scooter thing and got out of her that she has absolutely no interest in using one or doubling on one with me. So, given that, and the fact for $1K more I can get a used V-Star 650, I'm leaning back that way if I can sell her on the idea that the 650 is no rocket and just as safe and still has great mileage and at least I'd be able to take it on the highway if needed.

Been commuting on a Vespa 50cc 2 cycle for years. NO problems at all. The 2 stoke will carry me to 40-45 MPH on level roads and despite what you may read it does require a license because it exceeds 30 MPH.

Bought mine used with under 1,000 miles on it for $1,800. Drove it two years, sold it for $1,800. Good ride, high quality feel, worth the extra money to me, but may not be the same for others.

Good dealer network overall, modest upkeep costs. If the size fits, it's a great ride. The larger Vespa's used are also relatively cheap to buy and maintain. Again, you may perfer other brands. Honda metropolitan is a good smaller scoot.

I've had good luck with Honda and Vespa, but would not hesitate to buy other Japanese brands. Would stay away from Asian brands - parts problems mostly.

Regardless of your choice, try before you buy. A smaller motorcycle may be a better ride, but nothing is as convenient as a scooter for carrying things and easy of ride/parking. Scoots are auto tanny, bikes aren't.

Been commuting on a Vespa 50cc 2 cycle for years. NO problems at all. The 2 stoke will carry me to 40-45 MPH on level roads and despite what you may read it does require a license because it exceeds 30 MPH.

This is sort of a technicality... most posts I've read about this say it's typically not enforced, ie the police would need to catch you exceeding 30mph then actually want to do something about it.

Back