• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Any Lawyers (NSX owners) in Orlando Area

Guys:

As many of you know, I totalled my NSX in a driving school a month ago. The insurance has been jerking me around. Now, I have to do a deposition and while I did nothing wrong (I was in driving school not preparing for race or competiting in race), I am affraid the insurance lawyers will jerk me around as I heard many bad stories. In fact, the KS state Insurance commissioner says to be careful with them.

Anyway, I am looking for a good lawyer to go to deposition with me if needed. I am currently trying to get the questions if possible.

Thanks,

Kerry

You're looking for a lawyer in Orlando, FLORIDA?

Just checking, since I thought your incident and presumably any deposition would be in or around Kansas...

Kerry,

I'm curious.

When you say you did nothing wrong, does that mean someone hit you? I would think if you weren't at fault they should cover it.

Unless, there's an exclusion in your policy for driving school and performance driving classes.

-Jim

------------------
1992 NSX Red/Blk 5 spd #0330
1991 NSX Blk/Blk Auto #3070 (Sold)
1974 Vette 454 4 spd Wht/Blk
Looking for a 76-79 Honda Accord

Do you have an agent who might be able to help you? At some companies, agents routinely go to bat for their customers on their claims.

Jim:

What I meant was it was an one car accident. I hit the wall, but I didn't lie to the insurance company and I was in driving school. The exclusion should not apply to me but they are trying to do that as it is going on 30+ days. They have all their lawyers review it (Florida and Kansas) and just dragging their feet.

As for Ken's question, the accident happened in KS, but the deposition is in Orlando, FL as I moved to Orlando FL one day after the accident. So the deposition is here.

Kerry

I'm curious.

When you say you did nothing wrong, does that mean someone hit you? I would think if you weren't at fault they should cover it.

Unless, there's an exclusion in your policy for driving school and performance driving classes.

-Jim

[/B][/QUOTE]

Ken:

No, my insurance company is AIG. The initial claim representative was nice and say they will probably investigate for 30 days and pay up. After 30 days, guess what, I got another claim representative, they filed an extension.

Also during a recording conversation between the 1st claim representative, I told him I called AIG prior to the event last year and they say driving school is covered since the exclusion clause states competing or racing. The claim rep's response was the AIG representative you talked to didn't know what type of driving school, etc. Anyway, I asked for a copy of the tape and should get it in couple days.

Originally posted by nsxtasy:
Do you have an agent who might be able to help you? At some companies, agents routinely go to bat for their customers on their claims.

Sorry to hear the bad news about your NSX. Unfortunately, your carrier may not be about to help this said event get any better.

I work in the insurance industry but more on the commercial line side than in the personal insurance arena. I am not familiar with the your specific insurance policy but the reputation of certain carriers for denying claims is well known throughout the industry. You should definitely be on guard for a claims denial and be ready for a fight.

------------------
'95 Green NSX-T

Kerry -

I was very sorry to hear about your accident and am sorry now to hear insurance is giving you a hard time. I've known a few other people who have gone through the same thing. Based on their experiences, in the interest of making sure everything works out for you, I might suggest that you:

1. Do not discuss details of the accident or claim in "public," even if you are just stating facts as in your messages above, until the whole thing is resolved. You may state the same fact correctly but in two different ways and it can end up coming back to haunt you. The Internet is smaller than it seems.

2. Do as Arnis suggested and scale up to fight them full on. If it's been over 30 days and they are now having you do a deposition, it sounds like their mind is already made up to drag it out and then deny the claim. The sooner you take action the sooner it will be resolved. Sometimes when they see you are ready to fight and they know they are not on solid ground to deny the claim that's all it takes. Other times you really do have to fight them.

The good news is that one way or the other it sounds like you should have it resolved in your favor eventually.

Best of luck!

[This message has been edited by Lud (edited 05 June 2001).]

Sorry to hear of your loss. You stated "the accident happened in KS". I am assuming the school is on private property. Check the state laws on private property; Texas, for example, you are on your own on private property ... no recourse. And I'm certain the school had you sign liability releases against them prior to participation. Good luck!

Back