• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Any Whisky drinkers here....

Ever seen that movie with Jack Nicholas, Leaving Las Vegas. Where he sells his BMW, his house, quits his job and drinks himself to death in Vegas:biggrin:

Yep, but we know him as Nikolas Cage (not sure for the spelling)
It's a good one, the thrase I do remember:
"either my wife left me and I started to dirnk, or vice versa=I sarted to drink and my wife left me"

As in Peat moss??:redface:

Yep, and the flavor is imparted in multiple ways. First, the water flows through the peat. Also, the peat moss is usually used to fire the kiln which dries the malted barley. I think most scotch is produced in this manner, but the degree of peat-flavor-intensity can vary substantially depending on the process used.

-Josh

Lol, well I'm glad I don't describe wine as ....footy!:biggrin:

I've always like Macallan myself. Try the 18, or, if you don't mind spending a bit, the 25 or 30. :)

now I rarely drink at all and when I do, it's usually just a couple of beers (belgian please). Once you have kids, there is just too much responsibility to be drunk or hung over. I am such a light weight now.

Interesting. Kids ARE the reason I drink :biggrin:

Ever seen that movie with Jack Nicholas, Leaving Las Vegas. Where he sells his BMW, his house, quits his job and drinks himself to death in Vegas:biggrin:

Kid,

No more cheap beer, aged wine or good whiskey for you tonight. That was Elizabeth Shue, not Jack Nicholson opposite Nick Coppola (Cage):biggrin:

I've never acquired a taste for hard pop (outside Tequila). Some of my friends who do drink the hard stuff swear by Wild Turkey. I have learned to appreciate the better quality beers over the last 4 or 5 years, as well as the better wines ($20+ retail).

Miner

Try Yamazaki. It is a single malt whisky. I really enjoy it. I don't care for any Johnnie Walker products. They are way overrated IMO.

Try eating a chocolate chip cookie with your scotch next time. Serious......its brings out the flavors in the scotch......weird.....

Also at a party once we did a blind taste test of all willing participants using JW blue, gold, green, red and black. Overall the majority of the people choose green as their favorite.

Also I once picked up a Japanese whiskey at the Narita airport DFS and it was really good. Cant remember the name but it had a cool bottle wich made it look like a samurai warrior with armor and everything......I will be looking for that bottle again in 2 weeks.....

Last edited:
The cheapest duty free shop for whiskey I've found is Guangzhou. Have you passed through there yet?

Yep. I used to go over to either TW or various locations in China pretty regularly. I don't as much since I have switched jobs so my info is dated 2002-2007. The stuff I got in Chinese Duty Free (even in HK) is not nearly as good as the Taipei duty free. I seriously doubt it is a regional difference. There was a big enough difference that I suspect the stuff I got in China (on multiple occasions) was counterfit.

The Taiwanese stuff is great. Load up every chance you can get. I don't like anything JW makes nearly as well as the Premier. I used to travel with co-workers and make them carry a bottle for me as well if that tells you anything.

Enjoy it!

Some good suggestions above - Lagavulin, Makers Mark, MacAllan 18, Woodford. I'll add Blantons - an excellent single barrel bourbon. I also agree that you should try them "neat" or straight. Smell it, sip it, and enjoy.

I'll add Blantons - an excellent single barrel bourbon. I also agree that you should try them "neat" or straight. Smell it, sip it, and enjoy.

I was scrolling the thread quickly so I could add Blanton's and you beat me to it. My personal favorite now for sure. I am also fond of Bookers, and Knob Creek as well. Pappy Van Winkle family reserve is also great for sipping.

Good advise to learn to drink them neat first so you know what they taste like.

You may be able to find it easily, but my favorite was W. L. Wellers. It's a very refined Kentucky Bourbon at a reasonable price. When I was in Dallas once, I met a guy that remined me of JR Ewing turned me on to it. They know their whiskies there. The Wellers folks also make "Rebel Yell". I drank it for years. As I'm aging, I find Vodka is much better the next day :frown:

you may be able to find it easily, but my favorite was w. L. Wellers. It's a very refined kentucky bourbon at a reasonable price. When i was in dallas once, i met a guy that remined me of jr ewing turned me on to it. They know their whiskies there. The wellers folks also make "rebel yell". I drank it for years. As i'm aging, i find vodka is much better the next day :frown:

+1..

Back