• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Any Whisky drinkers here....

I was always just a Miller light/cheap beer type of guy but have recently began an interest in Johnnie Walker Blue Label. Anything else not crazy priced I should be tasting?:biggrin:

I'm a huge fan of whisky. I love single malt scotch and bourbon.

There are really so many experiences even amongst one style of whisky that I'm hard pressed to give you just one recommendation.

My current favorite bourbons are Makers Mark and Bookers. I drink them both neat and love the simplicity of both. Makers Mark is extremely easy to find, cheap and good hooch. Bookers is one of Jim Beam's "premium" brands but it's not too expensive either. Just be careful, each batch is a little different from one another and it's high po stuff (the bottle I have in my pantry right now is 128 proof).

I'm not a blended whisky guy but for single malts, I really love Macallan 18. Smooth as hell and not too expensive for a premium single malt. Lately, I've really been into Lagavulin 12 year old. It's a really interesting Scotch that goes great with cigars. It's very smoky. The best news is that it's relatively cheap for Scotch.

Good luck in your sampling. Let us know what you like and don't like.

I'm a huge fan of whisky. I love single malt scotch and bourbon.

There are really so many experiences even amongst one style of whisky that I'm hard pressed to give you just one recommendation.

My current favorite bourbons are Makers Mark and Bookers. I drink them both neat and love the simplicity of both. Makers Mark is extremely easy to find, cheap and good hooch. Bookers is one of Jim Beam's "premium" brands but it's not too expensive either. Just be careful, each batch is a little different from one another and it's high po stuff (the bottle I have in my pantry right now is 128 proof).

I'm not a blended whisky guy but for single malts, I really love Macallan 18. Smooth as hell and not too expensive for a premium single malt. Lately, I've really been into Lagavulin 12 year old. It's a really interesting Scotch that goes great with cigars. It's very smoky. The best news is that it's relatively cheap for Scotch.

Good luck in your sampling. Let us know what you like and don't like.

Pretty much the same stuff I used to drink before I had kids, now I rarely drink at all and when I do, it's usually just a couple of beers (belgian please). Once you have kids, there is just too much responsibility to be drunk or hung over. I am such a light weight now.

Bourbons were my drink of choice and Bookers & Bakers were my two favorites as well as Woodford Reserve. A great bourbon for the price.

For single malt, it was The Macallan 18 or Lagavulin or even Springbank on a good day.

As far as Johnny Walker, I'll pass on blends, whether it's red, black blue or gold.

Last edited:
I have been a scotch lover for ages, mostly the smoky stuff. Tried a lot of stuff and nowadays just stick to Bruichladdich which I love (Bevmo carries it as well).

Of course, soon after this, I was introduced to bourbon at a friend's place and picked up a bottle of Bookers from Costco when they carried it. I wanted to discover the manly effects of 60% alcohol. After I got over the strong burn in my throat, the one thing that amazed me was the flavour. It was fantastic. Phenomenally smooth for something with that much alcohol. When I cannot get it, I typically go for Knob Creek which is the closest in taste. Most bars seem to carry it (I never seem to find bars that carry bookers). I no longer open up my scotch bottle, always head to my bourbon stash! http://www.smallbatch.com/lpa

Enjoy! Definitely try the bookers at some pt. It just might spoil you for good :)

-vamsi

After I got over the strong burn in my throat, the one thing that amazed me was the flavour. It was fantastic. Phenomenally smooth for something with that much alcohol.

I like the initial burn and after the first couple sips, magic:biggrin:I like whisky for home relaxation sessions, if I go out...Im on a mission and getting blasted isnt my intention. :cool:Give me a red bull and goose:biggrin:

I have been a scotch lover for ages, mostly the smoky stuff. Tried a lot of stuff and nowadays just stick to Bruichladdich which I love (Bevmo carries it as well).

Of course, soon after this, I was introduced to bourbon at a friend's place and picked up a bottle of Bookers from Costco when they carried it. I wanted to discover the manly effects of 60% alcohol. After I got over the strong burn in my throat, the one thing that amazed me was the flavour. It was fantastic. Phenomenally smooth for something with that much alcohol. When I cannot get it, I typically go for Knob Creek which is the closest in taste. Most bars seem to carry it (I never seem to find bars that carry bookers). I no longer open up my scotch bottle, always head to my bourbon stash! http://www.smallbatch.com/lpa

Enjoy! Definitely try the bookers at some pt. It just might spoil you for good :)

-vamsi

FWIW, Bookers, Bakers, Knob Creek and Basil Hayden are all made by Jim Beam.

Whenever I travel out to Asia, I like to pickup on some of the good whiskey prices at the duty free shops, I think Taiwan/China has some of the best prices. I purchase 1 liter of JW Blue for $125 or so last December. The Asian markets have some interesting blends. JW has a really smooth one called Swing. The bottom isn't flat so the bottle rocks back and forth., not sure what the difference between this and Swing Superior is. Priced just below Green Label and I find it smoother. I also picked up a new one my last trip in Taiwan. It's Johnnie Walker Premier. I haven't even opened it yet, it came in a nice bottle and box. Swing Superior was about $40 at the duty free shop and the Premier I believe was around $70??? It's supposed to fall between Gold and Blue.

3613-Johnnie-Walker-bot.jpg
3613-Johnnie-Walker-lab.jpg

john-walker-prem-open-502.jpg

I like bookers as well.

Malibu, I had similar experiences and am an excellent Taipei duty free customer. I think you'll like the Premier. If not, call me. I am in West Covina tonight have room in my carry on. ;)

Last edited:
Give me a red bull and goose:biggrin:

red bull and goose is good.....
sugar free monster and goose (aka grey monster, monster goose :tongue:) is better...... 1/2 and 1/2..... can go through a 750 in a few hours :biggrin:

arnold palmer w/ketel one - that's another good one

Malibu, I had similar experiences and am an excellent Taipei duty free customer. I think you'll like the Premier. If not, call me. I am in West Covina tonight have room in my carry on. ;)

Cool, u know what? I was passing through Taipei transit an apparently you are not supposed to be able to buy there. That's what the kid told me. But then he talked to some lady and he told me he could sell it to me but I have to go through the security scan again. He would meet me after I passed through the security scan. So it was a very covert operation where he timed me walking through security then met me as I walked to the transit lounge and handed the bag to me. I want to try it so bad but I'm saving it for the special occasion where my friends who only know the regular labels + Swing can also try it.

The cheapest duty free shop for whiskey I've found is Guangzhou. Have you passed through there yet?

I'm a Crown guy but love Jack, Maker's and JW. I can't really do Beam unless mixing with coke.

I go through about a fifth of Jim Beam every week. I only drink it with ice. People think I'm crazy, but I like it better than Jack.

All I can say is, just like wine, ignore labels, price tags and convention. Don't drink anything just because of a name brand or because people tell you to drink it. The best way to find out is to go to a bar and try different drinks for yourself and see what you like. You'll often be surprised that what tastes best to you isn't the most expensive, nor the most popular. But in the end, when people ask you what you drink, you can explain that you've tried them all, and here are the reasons that you like your own personal drink.

The other advice I can give is to make sure you try all the drinks "neat" at first (no mixes). Or some drinks really help with a dash of water or ice to "open up" the flavor. Some people feel this is blasphemy, but for me the perfect mixture ratio is exactly one ice cube per high ball. As the ice starts to melt, the water just opens up the flavor. Try it with and without and come to your own conclusion. However, having said that, never listen to convention. If you like to mix your burbon with grape soda, then do it. Experiment. I found that the most enjoyable part of beverage tasting, whether it be wine or whisky.

The thread about selling the 92 all makes sense now :biggrin:

Ever seen that movie with Jack Nicholas, Leaving Las Vegas. Where he sells his BMW, his house, quits his job and drinks himself to death in Vegas:biggrin:

Ever seen that movie with Jack Nicholas, Leaving Las Vegas. Where he sells his BMW, his house, quits his job and drinks himself to death in Vegas:biggrin:

Yes I have, what a great movie.

BTW: CROWN RULES

Give 12 or 16yr Laphroaig a shot - it's super peaty and intense but definitely an interesting one to taste. I've seen the 12yr at Costco recently.

-Josh

As in Peat moss??:redface:

Back