• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Anyone contemplating the purchase of the S spec NSX?

I contacted one dealer and they will add a $20k premium to the cars allocated to them. I can understand given all the money they spent in preparing for the NC1 that this last one will have a premium. Kind of thinking about getting one. Curious about color options and whether or not the car can be had with the carbon fiber roof. I really think it will be a nice package given it is the last year. It is bitter sweet.

After all of the bitching over the course of the last 4 years about how grossly overpriced the car was, I find it hard to believe that there is going to be a stampede of buyers heading to dealers to shell out $20K over sticker for this car? Guys did that the first go round', and had they waited a year they could have bought that same car $40-50 K less..... Acura has done a good job teasing us, and people are considering buying something before they even know what it is? It certainly will not have an MSRP less than a 21" model will it? With premium it will likely be near $200K? I guess we'll know soon......

When the 50 (or 51?)1999 Zanardi's hit the dealer showrooms.....it was back to having them roped off w/"do not touch"
signs & MSRP pricing for America's "type S" NSX.

They couldn't give them away & eventually a $5K factory incentive + close to another $10K typical dealer discount on top of that.

It will be interesting to see what happens with 300 2022 versions.

In the Zanardi's defense....now 21 years later they have found their collector car status $$$.

I've said all along I was waiting to see what the type S or R would deliver...just have to wait 1 more week to find out...If you can afford a 200k car it is not about the price...

I contacted one dealer and they will add a $20k premium to the cars allocated to them. I can understand given all the money they spent in preparing for the NC1 that this last one will have a premium. Kind of thinking about getting one. Curious about color options and whether or not the car can be had with the carbon fiber roof. I really think it will be a nice package given it is the last year. It is bitter sweet.

Yes, picking up a Type S is under serious consideration, especially if used car prices remain favorable.

When the 50 (or 51?)1999 Zanardi's hit the dealer showrooms.....it was back to having them roped off w/"do not touch"
signs & MSRP pricing for America's "type S" NSX.

They couldn't give them away & eventually a $5K factory incentive + close to another $10K typical dealer discount on top of that.

It will be interesting to see what happens with 300 2022 versions.

In the Zanardi's defense....now 21 years later they have found their collector car status $$$.

You are correct in that the Zanardi cars sat for a while. If they had been the last of the run, perhaps they would have sold more quickly. The current situation is an interesting one. There are now electric cars that are faster then any ICE vehicles. I suspect that we will continue to see electric cars that are fast and capable as well. I fully believe that the NC1 is the best NSX/car I have ever had. It will probably be the last ICE/Hybrid that we ever buy.

As a child I grew up pretending that my tricycle had an engine in it. We used clothes pins to hold cardboard against the spokes. So in a way my brain is hardwired to the sound of ICE engines. When ever I drive my NSX, I almost always have it in Sports Plus, as that is open exhaust.

So if I don’t buy a new one I will probably keep my current 2017 till I can’t drive anymore. I am hoping for another 10 years.

My 10 speed chopper had a wad of Baseball cards taped to the fork...instant NA engine...:wink:

I'm now in my 60's ---- have been an internal combustion engine afficianodo since i was 13 ---- love the sound of a great exhaust note --- the only pure electric i'll be on is the golf cart at my club . . . however acknowledging that this this the way of the future. Not much sweeter than the sound of a great exhaust note

I've said all along I was waiting to see what the type S or R would deliver...just have to wait 1 more week to find out...If you can afford a 200k car it is not about the price...

I immediately thought of you when I saw the S announcement. I'd try and grab a spot in line- they may go fast.

I immediately thought of you when I saw the S announcement. I'd try and grab a spot in line- they may go fast.
Funny, when it was launched I immediately thought of you. I have a question if you could help me answer. What exactly is the ethos of a Type S? What is the goal and intent of that trim level? I had an earlier comment but I deleted it in lieu of asking the group first.

Based on my years casually following along as a Honda consumer the S trim signifies more of a special performance luxury trim level, but far short of an all out track spec Type R trim. Type S added performance at the expense of weight in added luxuries? For example, a Type R would add performance but could also sacrifice amenities in the name of weight savings. The Zanardi was sort of a little bit of both so that was a true one off trim it seems.

What i find interesting is that Honda seems to be married to the Type R trim while Acura is entrenching into the Type S trim. That's pigeon holing themselves because then by definition only a JDM or European spec Honda NC1 could hold a Type R badge.

I don't think the old JDM designations apply to our current domestic product...PMC imo is paying homage to the special editions by doing what they can to address some of the critics .....and make this swan song Special ...Of course they are limited to stuff they can easily screw off and on...

Funny, when it was launched I immediately thought of you. I have a question if you could help me answer. What exactly is the ethos of a Type S? What is the goal and intent of that trim level? I had an earlier comment but I deleted it in lieu of asking the group first.

Based on my years casually following along as a Honda consumer the S trim signifies more of a special performance luxury trim level, but far short of an all out track spec Type R trim. Type S added performance at the expense of weight in added luxuries? For example, a Type R would add performance but could also sacrifice amenities in the name of weight savings. The Zanardi was sort of a little bit of both so that was a true one off trim it seems.

What I find interesting is that Honda seems to be married to the Type R trim while Acura is entrenching into the Type S trim. That's pigeon holing themselves because then by definition only a JDM or European spec Honda NC1 could hold a Type R badge.

The ethos of the Gen 1 Type-S was "winding road spec". This is directly from Honda marketing at the time. The S was a NSX that was designed less for the urban professional and more for the owner who wanted to head out on the weekends and enjoy the back roads. It preserved all of the luxury amenities that customers expected from the NSX, but firmed up the ride an deleted weight to make the car feel better on those winding roads. The R was always sold as a "track day" NSX. Honda tried to force the point by making the radio and A/C optional at a fairly large cost. Thus, the R and S specs, while both performance-related, are aimed at completely different customers- at least in Japan.

Setting that aside, the R and S are also brands and there is some kind of rule or understanding that R belongs to Honda and S belongs to Acura. Looking at the Type-S trims for the Acura lineup, it does appear to fit the original Honda ethos for the S: performance luxury. These aren't stripped out track cars- they are luxurious Acuras with a little extra performance. Acura has never really sold a track-ready trim level- except for the Integra, which, incidentally, was sold as a R. I think both the TLX and NSX could carry a track-spec trim level, but for some reason Acura does not want to step into that space. It's odd, considering they are casting themselves as a "performance" brand.

The ethos of the Gen 1 Type-S was "winding road spec". This is directly from Honda marketing at the time. The S was a NSX that was designed less for the urban professional and more for the owner who wanted to head out on the weekends and enjoy the back roads. It preserved all of the luxury amenities that customers expected from the NSX, but firmed up the ride an deleted weight to make the car feel better on those winding roads. The R was always sold as a "track day" NSX. Honda tried to force the point by making the radio and A/C optional at a fairly large cost. Thus, the R and S specs, while both performance-related, are aimed at completely different customers- at least in Japan.

Setting that aside, the R and S are also brands and there is some kind of rule or understanding that R belongs to Honda and S belongs to Acura. Looking at the Type-S trims for the Acura lineup, it does appear to fit the original Honda ethos for the S: performance luxury. These aren't stripped out track cars- they are luxurious Acuras with a little extra performance. Acura has never really sold a track-ready trim level- except for the Integra, which, incidentally, was sold as a R. I think both the TLX and NSX could carry a track-spec trim level, but for some reason Acura does not want to step into that space. It's odd, considering they are casting themselves as a "performance" brand.
Appreciate that. It was worthwhile reading that from you. Acura will end up pigeon holing themselves again because they "can't" deliver a Type R NC1. The Type R USDM models have been wildly popular and generally considered to be a success, right? I could imagine the ITR didn't sell very at the time but it's a halo 90's car now with quite a large brand cache. The FK8 has been marked up by dealers since it was introduced until the very last model came out of Swindon.

I just don't get it..............................

I think that the waters have been muddied by the NC1 not being a JDM product, therefore Acura have had to create their own narrative, and marketing/branding have taken over. Let's hope the result speaks for itself on the road.
Full electrification is taking place at too fast a rate for a Type R to make any sense - one way of looking at it is that the NC1 is already as light and powerful as it could be. Modest changes just wouldn't cut it for an R, but the Type S designation fits with Acura's ethos.

Last edited:
Probably mostly cosmetic changes... Honda isn't going to spend big bucks on a few hundred cars that might not sell well especially if the dealers marked it up $20K.

I don't think the old JDM designations apply to our current domestic product...PMC imo is paying homage to the special editions by doing what they can to address some of the critics .....and make this swan song Special ...Of course they are limited to stuff they can easily screw off and on...

from my experience markups are more common on dealer orders. Sold customer orders esp from repeat customers are usually msrp.

It's gonna be a tough sell anywhere near or above $200K's. I'd rather get an Porsche 992 and Corvette C8 for the same amount of money.

It was tempting with the $20K trunk money for the base model though.

from my experience markups are more common on dealer orders. Sold customer orders esp from repeat customers are usually msrp.

As I understand there is a bump in hp of about ~26 bringing overall hp to 600. This is rumored as a result of going with larger turbos. Not sure whether that is true or not. The car will be tuned to run on 91 octane as that is what is available so they cannot really go the path of the JB4 in my mind. As noted by some Facebook comments the real question will be by how much is torque increased. That in the end is what you "feel" I can recall going from a 91 NSX to my 2001 NSX-T While the car was a bit heavier the get up and go was definitely a big improvement. That of course was augmented with the change from 5 speed to 6 speed allowing for a more even pull from 1st to 2nd and on to 3rd. That is where it really shined night and day difference. I have to believe that the outgoing folks would not want to put their names on the car if the result was not considered a noticeable improvement. Thus far the Acura Hype suggests that this will be a real improvement.

As for Corvette. I have had 7 of those cars in the past. Been there done that. I sure don't want another Corvette. And, I am not comfortable owning a Ferrari. The image is just not my cup of tea. Porsche was always on my radar, but there are just so many of them. No matter what Porsche you buy you can bet the following year they will make it better but keep it looking kind of the same. It would get lost in a sea of other Porsches. The NSX is frankly inexpensive for what you get and unique at the same time. Owning the NSX Supercar is almost practical in a way. And I am good with that image.

If true... weaksauce...lets see what the real specs are.

I hear you, consider both the S and R version of the previous generation NSX. I do not recall 0 to 60times improving that much. It was all about performance on the track for the R version. I have to think we are going to see a similar scenario here.

If I sold my car I would probably walk away with close to $10k after the tax and lic fees overall. That is pretty good. I would want a duplicate car option wise that would put me at around $200k. So in the end that car would cost close to $70k more out of pocket (assuming there is no overall price increase). I can live with that assuming I like the car and it is unique enough.

Having said that, Who knows what the future holds? We could see significant changes in how transportation works overall. Given how dire our environmental situation is now, suggests that we may see restrictions on how and what we drive and do in the near future. From a scientific standpoint no matter what we do in the next few years the results (extreme storms, flooding, fire ravaged areas, extreme drought, migrations, etcetera) will continue getting worst before they turn around or subside. The times are a changing…..

Seems like you're just a fan of the NSX in general, so it might be worth it for you. But I think that the dealers are really going to struggle to sell these with that kind of premium. The R8 now starts at $143K. The Lotus Emira (which seems to be closer to what a lot of people wanted the new NSX to be) is going to start at under $90K. The Maserati MC20 and McLaren Artura are both coming out and are supposed to be in the low $200K range to start (I think). Doesn't seem like a great time to be trying to sell $200K+ NSXs.

Good points, the supercar marketplace is not all that large in the first place. When you add up the true competitors like Porsche Turbo and Turbo s along with the R8 with the V10, and the various MCs, and other cars we are not talking about lots of cars.

Wheels and front end feel kind of Corvette-esque. Price increase isn't as much as I had feared, I don't think there will be an incentive on this one tho.

I like the incremental changes. Need to see interior. Give me one without the lightweight package ($169k) and I’d be happy. Serious decision to make here, but I’m not in a hurry.

Back