• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Anyone do a break job yet on carbon ceramics? (Normal driving)

Just curious what mileage this took place...cost...etc.

*Just realized this could have gone in the maintenance section. Mods feel free to move if necessary.

Last edited:
There is a good Youtube video of this online with the proper torque specs. Seems pretty straightforward.

There is a good Youtube video of this online with the proper torque specs. Seems pretty straightforward.

Thanks. I wasn't really trying to learn to do it, just curious as to what mileage folks have had to tackle it...and the cost from dealer

There is a process for heating and weighing the ceramic rotors to determine if they are at end of life. I suspect that under normal use(no tracking) that the ceramic rotors will last a good 100,000 miles. The pads could be replaced and pricing is easily determined. I kind of doubt that there are many NC1s at high mileage (over 75,000 miles). Ceramic rotors are expensive to replace for sure. Curious as to why you are so concerned? Are you experiencing problems with your ceramic brakes? Mario Cano tracked his car many times and as I recall damaged a ceramic rotor because of a wheel used at the track. Perhaps he will offer his insight.

There is a process for heating and weighing the ceramic rotors to determine if they are at end of life. I suspect that under normal use(no tracking) that the ceramic rotors will last a good 100,000 miles. The pads could be replaced and pricing is easily determined. I kind of doubt that there are many NC1s at high mileage (over 75,000 miles). Ceramic rotors are expensive to replace for sure. Curious as to why you are so concerned? Are you experiencing problems with your ceramic brakes? Mario Cano tracked his car many times and as I recall damaged a ceramic rotor because of a wheel used at the track. Perhaps he will offer his insight.

Thanks for the insight! No issues at all on my end, just more so trying to understand future costs of ownership so I can prepare in advance...since as you said ceramic rotors are expensive. Will the pads need replaced before the rotors? I'm used to non ceramics on other vehicles where shops just replaced the rotors every time the pads needed replaced.

I would expect that you will replace the pads before it is necessary to replace the rotors. You could contact Brembo and ask their technical service reps about their experience. They are the premier supplier of performance brakes and would have a lot of data as to issues, problems, and recommendations. If you do contact them share what you learn.

I spoke with Mario about his brakes. I mistakenly thought he had ceramic brakes. He had the iron brakes with OEM aggressive pads. He put 58,000 miles on the car in a couple of years and many track days. The pads wore down to the metal and damaged his rotors. He replaced the pads and rotors and said it cost around $6k. Obviously had they been the ceramic brakes the cost would have been significantly more.

Back