• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Anyone familiar w/Acura Motorcars of Cleveland

Lee

Registered Member
I had my 92 serviced there in late October for a 30K service where I had just purchased it from an individual. After driving it home, I noticed that the fuel filter did not look too clean for a brand new filter--even though I had drove home to Louisville. The weather has since warmed up and I changed the oil and filter this weekend.. Upon completing that I thought I would confirm my suspicions of the work done by checking the air filter since that would be easy. The 30K service was done ~4K mi ago, however the air filter is filthy as if it has never been changed since the car was new! It has 36K on it now. I am questioning now if any work was done at all or if this item was just overlooked?? They also managed to leave their fair share of small scratches and a small ding on the drivers door by the handle...I was not too happy with this $800.00 service and I am definately concerned now. Anyone have any experience w/these guys? Thanks.

Unless the 30k tuneup states that air filters will be replaced, the dealers will not replace the air filters unless you specifically tell them to replace if necessary. Most dealerships and shops will usually contact you telling you that you should replace the filter and ask for your permission before doing any replacement work. If you're really concerned, I would try to find another acura dealership that has a good reputation and explain the situation(play the innocent role) & have them give it a quick check to see if the 30k tuneup was legitimate. Of course, this extra check may cost you a small fee though.

I had my 92 serviced there in late October for a 30K service where I had just purchased it from an individual. After driving it home, I noticed that the fuel filter did not look too clean for a brand new filter--even though I had drove home to Louisville.

According to the maintenance schedule, the fuel filter is not normally replaced at 30K.

However, the air cleaner element is.

Yes, they of course their own service listing specifing what is to be done. However, these items both should have been replaced according to the dealer schedule, and the air filter goes for both acura and the dealer. I will have the local dealer take a look at it since it needs a coolant flush anyway to see if any of the other items were performed. But I just wonder, I have experience with honda service dating back 10 years, and for the ballpark $700-800 range for a 30K what the heck do we get, NSX or not? Plugs, oil,air filter, trans/brake fluid, adjust timing? Is that it for $800 or was I had--I believe it was in the range of some other dealers? I think this site has a section of est costs, I will check there.

Lee, isn't it surprising that what you expect is sometimes different than what you get for your dollars. I recently had the 15k service done on two NSX's, the dealer near me wanted $900 per car, another dealership got $373 per car. I was so shocked at the price difference that I gladly drove the cars the 70 miles to save $1,200. Furthermore, the farther dealership installed my four new rotors and pads at a minimal cost. I would call around and ask other dealerships what they charge and perform for their routine services.

for the ballpark $700-800 range for a 30K what the heck do we get, NSX or not? Plugs, oil,air filter, trans/brake fluid, adjust timing? Is that it for $800 or was I had--I believe it was in the range of some other dealers? I think this site has a section of est costs, I will check there.

Good idea.

Another good idea would be to check the maintenance schedule - it's posted on the FAQ on this site, or you can find it in your owner's manual. This tells what's REALLY required at 30K. For the most part, anything the dealer tells you to do, that's not in there, you don't have to do.

Also, when you're shopping around (or even if you're talking to only one dealer), feel free to review with the service department exactly how much labor and parts you're paying for. They should be able to explain to you what you're paying for.

If you shop around and find that you are still unhappy paying the going rates in your area, another alternative would be to learn how to do it yourself. I prefer to let someone else do it, though, because of the three T's: Tricks (they know the tricks from having done it before), Tools (they've got the right equipment, I don't), and Time (I'm glad to let them spend the time; I'm sure it would take me a lot longer). But anyone can do it - particularly if you enjoy doing your own work.

Thanks guys, but practically all the scheduled maintance applies to me since I really dont have any reason to believe that it has ever been done (except for reg mileage based oil changes). So based on the time intervals, and this is a 92, basically everything must be done w/exception of timing belt and water pump. She was practically a garage queen where the previous owner put ~4K/yr and probably did not feel the need for major service. I feel that the service is critical for the car to perform and last.. Thats why I had it done before I even drove it home. So with a 30K down and more coolant flush to go, I just hope that the rest of what I paid for was done and I can get on with it.
Boy, I'll be glad when I get all this done!

Back