• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Anyone have their stock steering wheel recovered in Alcantara suede?

Jim

Experienced Member
I was thinking about getting this done to my stock steering wheel..sort of like the M3 Competition wheel.

Anyone from the Midwest know any interior shops that can do it?

14849inside1.jpg

The steering wheel really dates the car. I am going with a new momo wheel..

NsXMas said:
Any reason you think that looks good? I think it would look out of place compared to the rest of the NSX interior, imho.
I agree. I think the leather on the stock wheel looks like the high quality of leather you would expect in a high-end car. That alcantara reminds me of something you'd find a young kid doing to an old beat up car.

The stock leather may look nicer but I suspect the Alcantara feels better.

Jimbo said:
The stock leather may look nicer but I suspect the Alcantara feels better.
This is just my personal opinion, but I too think it feels better. One of the biggest mistakes I made at the local new car show was to sit in an M3 with this Alcantara steering wheel. Once I felt it, all the other cars I sat in afterwards the steering wheel didn't feel as good. The feel of that wheel definately feels great too me. Plus that thick size also feels really good in the hands.

ChrisK said:
Plus that thick size also feels really good in the hands.

Sorry, had to do that. :biggrin: :biggrin:

IMO, an Alcantara covered steering wheel is nice when on the track. When you have gloves to go with it, they stick to each other nice and you don't lose your handle with the car.... had that setup on my old Civic track car. The bad thing that I hated with an Alcantara covered steering wheel is using it for daily driving. Not because it felt bad or anything, but because when your palms sweat, it ruins the material on the steering wheel and over time the wheel doesn't look at good anymore with 'wear spots' all over it or the material starting to shred up (happenned to me on 2 different Sparco steering wheels).

In an NSX, I think it would take away too much of the car, unless you had a full Alcantara seats, door panel lining, armrest cover, etc :biggrin:

M3 has one of the best steering wheels Ive ever felt. I have just a regular M3 and it feels unreal.

I have OEM R32 Skyline seats which are made of alcantera.. pretty durable material for a seat, but for a steering wheel which gets TONS of constant use.. I would imagine that item wearing pretty bad. I have a leather MOMO steering wheel and portions of the wheel have worn away after 7+ years of use. Leather holds up really well.. but I would imagine the alcantera not lasting nearly as long.

nsxtasy said:
I agree. I think the leather on the stock wheel looks like the high quality of leather you would expect in a high-end car. That alcantara reminds me of something you'd find a young kid doing to an old beat up car.

Watch it Ken, my Sparco seats are Alcatara. :wink:

rbirling said:
Anyone know if real suede would be better or worse? Just curious, I prefer regular leather.

I had a real suede Momo wheel on a car for about two years and it looked like leather by the time I was done with it. My good friend has an Audi with alcantara seats and after five years they seem to be as good as new. Although they don't have nearly the "touch time" of a steering wheel they do seem to be holding up to heat and frequent use pretty well. My bet is the synthetic will age a little better than the real thing.

Back