• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Anyone know about this car and it's history?

That car is not worth the $10k minimum bid. That is a parts car and you're going to have a hard time getting much out of the most valuable components - engine and transmission - with almost 100k miles on them.

If it had not been in an accident, it would probably be a low $20k car because it was trashed before it was wrecked. You can clearly see the paint is just worn away around the roof trim and door handles which means it was not only a high mile car but not even garaged or taken care of at all.

The damage to the rear looks like at least rear subframe damage, the front frame rails may be bent as well. I expect the front damage is worse than you might otherwise expect since there is no good clear shot of it. All the body panels except roof and doors are damaged.

[This message has been edited by Lud (edited 11 October 2001).]

Yes LUD these pictures are displayed in a dishonest way. I especially like the way there is NO picture of the more than likely trashed right rear quarter panel.

Also I am not seeing any other cars in the back ground.(individual) This is a bad sign.(been butchered) More than likely this guy bought it to repair and found out he got in over his head.(Needs a frame pull) Now he is looking to drown someone else.(Gonna cost big bucks to fix $$$$)

[This message has been edited by steveny (edited 12 October 2001).]

I think Mike was thinking along the lines I was when we talked this afternoon- that perhaps the car would make a workable donor car (parts) since the price initially seemed within a lowerer, perhaps negotiable range.

Without putting the car up on a lift and going to see it none of us really knowwhat it does or does not have going for it.

So far as the engine, tranny, interior, and body don't you pretty much replace all of that stuff anyway when you pimp one of these things out?

I never guessed anyone would plan on using a 100K 10 year old motor or a beat tranny and gearbox when starting such a project- I kind of assumed that such a project meant 'doing the car' literally from the ground up.

Sounds like fun.

I have seen enough wrecked NSXs in person and know enough about the car's construction to say with a fair amount of certainy that there is at least some subframe damage to that car just looking at the photos. Putting it on a lift may reveal even MORE problems, but I already think the car is not worth the asking price so I personally wouldn't bother. This guy MEASURED the wheelbase and distance from windshield to shock towers and declares the frame straight? What a joke! This isn't a 1960s car with tolerances to the nearest 1/2 inch. You need a laser frame alignment rack to measure it. And notice he did not measure any of the front or rear subframe, which I guarantee is visibly bent if you know what to look for.

Replacing engine and tranny when you "pimp out" a car? I have no idea what you are talking about. What are you going to replace the tranny with? Another tranny? Why not just start with a good one? You replace or rebuild an engine or tranny when they wear out.

You can modify them if that is part of your "pimping out" the car, but that is totally different than completely rebuilding them which is what you are looking at on a 100,000 mile car that has obviously not been giving a lot of TLC. You cannot load performance mods into your engine or tranny if they are fundamentally worn out anymore than you can put a body kit on a bent frame and expect to have a good car. It most likely needs some bottom-end R&R which you would only touch for modification purposes if you were going with a radical forced induction setup. It probably also needs (or will soon need) a bunch of little top-end stuff like gaskets, seals, etc.

I'm sorry but buying an NSX that needs an entire new body, new headlight, new tail lights, all new body panels, and has been ragged out for $10k is just a waste of money.

If you want a salvage car to "pimp out," buy a '91 that has moderate miles and has been well cared for but lightly rolled for (like blurr's car) for $15k. Then you can do the body kit, peformance mods, etc. and for the extra $5k you have a good engine, good tranny, good interior, good all-the-little-things-that-quickly-add-up-to-thousands-of-dollars as a base to start building your project. The abused car being auctioned has dozens of problems just waiting to happen, most of which are not going to be fixed during the "pimping out" process. You're going to have to replace hub assemblies, CV joints, tie rods, etc.

Of course that's just my opinion. If someone wants to buy it, it's your money, do what you like!

[This message has been edited by Lud (edited 12 October 2001).]

Back