• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Anyone know what this noise is?

This is a weird one...but I guess many mysterious and non-obvious noises are.

The noise appears to eminate from the center console area. Maybe near the radio area, perhaps closer to the glove box.

I generally hear the noise when I first drive off. I don't mean under acceleration but I seem to hear it more in the first 15 minutes of driving. Perhaps I just get used to the noise or turn the radio up a bit more.

It's an occasional noise that seems to occur at a certain vibrational frequency. What I mean by this is that you don't necessarily hear it when you go over a bump, but you only hear it when the car is moving.

It sounds like an occasional rattle or a dull clicking sound. It sounds like a bracket or some component is loose.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Oh, my car is a low-mileage 1992, 5 speed.

-Jim

------------------
1992 NSX Red/Blk 5 spd #0330
1991 NSX Blk/Blk Auto #3070 (Sold)
1974 Vette 454 4 spd Wht/Blk
Looking for 76-79 Honda Accords

Could it be the aspirator fan? That's the fan that's behind the slotted vent in front of the gear shift lever. It's common for it to build up crud and make noise.

Ken,

I'm not sure. I've never heard the noise made by the aspirator fan.

It doesn't sound like a fan, motor or a whirring noise though. I've heard noisy power supply fans in computers and printers and it doesn't sound anything like that.

It's more of a light clunking or loose bracket kind of a noise.

When I first heard it I thought there was something rattling in the glove compartment.

-Jim

------------------

That's possible. Another possibility is to check the spare tire bracket (the T-shaped piece behind it). Make sure that the rubber tips on the horizontal cross-piece are there, and the rubber disk on the vertical piece. Make sure the bolt at the top is secure. And make sure the wing nut for the spare is tight. I've had every one of these bolts loosen and every one of these rubber pieces fall off, causing rattling noises that could seem to be from behind the dash.

I agree with nsxtasy. After taking out my center console 3x already that where it is coming from. Should not be a problem.

I think I found the noise.

Looks like the aluminum bracket which holds the spare tire was loose.

The nut at the top, near the windshield, had backed out a few turns.

Thanks guys.

-Jim

------------------

Back