• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Anyone recover dash or OEM seats?

The only thing I like less than leather is vinyl!!!

basically 2 questions:

1) Anyone recover the factory seats in cloth? I love the high dollar race seats, but they are lots of $$$ and I don't think they will really last long in a daily driver. I'd like a cloth seat. Let's see some pictures/stories

2) I hate the vinyl dash. Anyone ever strip the cover off? I'd like to see what is under there. Is it possible it would look good with some crinkle coat paint...or suede (or synthetic alcantra-sp material). Tried to use the search function, but no good

Thanks
Matt

I'm with u00mem91. I hate leather and vinyl. When we bought our maxima we went for a loaded base model rather than a normal high end, because leather is standard on the high end. Not to mention that cloth seats grip better than leather. I love the smell of new leather, but besides that I don't see the appeal.

Well, I really like leather. Nothing looks as classy as leather, and leather is also very durable. I just wish they had left the leather smell in NSXs destined for North America, instead of applying that coating that mostly eliminates it.

I haven't heard of anyone recovering the seats with anything other than leather, only leather or racing seats.

As for the dash, are you serious? Have you ever seen cars with a cloth dash? I have, and they look like crap, like something a teenager does to a car he bought for $500. I think the stock NSX dash is very attractive, because it looks like real leather, even though it isn't.

Of course, it's your car, and you can do whatever you want to it. Just keep in mind that what you're proposing will not appeal to very many other people (which you will find out if you some day try selling your car that way). If you still want to do it, go for it! (But you might want to consider doing it in such a way that you save the original pieces so that your downgrade is fully reversible.)

For reference, here's a 360CS with Alcantara interior:

11185dash.jpg

Beautiful.

Last edited:
The first generation of NSX type R had the alcantara covered dash with red stitching. simular to the ferrari shown above.

nsxtasy said:
it looks like real leather, even though it isn't.

Do you sell vinyl for a living? just kidding, but I think the last time I heard that line was for a leatherette wallet!

dave22 said:

11185dash.jpg

Beautiful.

That is beautiful but trust me, it's a serious bitch to keep clean. We had alcantra inserts in our IS300's interior and while I honestly loved it (much cooler in summer, warmer in winter and grippier than leather) it was nowhere near as easy to care for as the leather headrests and seat sides.

The dash (esp. in a "t") would be a nightmare to keep clean.

go to west coast custom they will pimp your ride the way you want it they have alot of that material i think you want to see that one guy jose is his name i think :biggrin: :biggrin:

polar said:
The first generation of NSX type R had the alcantara covered dash with red stitching. simular to the ferrari shown above.

Yup, and it looked GOOD:

Attachments

• y_g_shop1-img600x450-1116814647nsx-r.img_1760.jpg
    y_g_shop1-img600x450-1116814647nsx-r.img_1760.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 341
I would love to recover my dash to mimic the NSX-R! Does anyone know how alcantra holds up in terms of fading?

Wow, I so do not like the alcantara. It's hideous.

I don't see why you couldn't pull off the dashcover and refinish with a topcoat of paint.

At some point in time, I'll be redoing/changing the interior of a car, most likely all in leather.

I'm sure that I'm in the minority, but I'll take my '93 interior over that Ferrari interior any day of the week. The only downside I have found with my black leather is the sizzling sound in the Summer when I get in wearing shorts.

I think the Alcantera looks great, in fact if redone my headliner with it. Does any one have pictures of the door panels in the early type 'R' ?

NsXMas said:
well you can all laugh but i like vinyl!!
the expensive vinyl not the cheap stuff in a corolla.
easy to take care of and doesn't attract hair, dust or stains.
and i find it comfortable!
the leather dashes are very subject to shrinkage in porsches and in ferraris they disintegrate.

ryan1926 said:
I would love to recover my dash to mimic the NSX-R! Does anyone know how alcantra holds up in terms of fading?

That was my concern as well.

dave22 said:

11185dash.jpg

Beautiful.

I'm about 90% sure that this is a F430, not 360, the dash pod configuration similar to the enzo, i could be wrong though.

The two-tone Ferrari dash doesn't do it for me, but damn I love that NSX-R dash.

Leatherseats.com can do feux-suede. They can do Alcantra, which is a name brand, but it costs a lot - $95 / yard. Their standard is SinSuede. They have done that to an NSX:

Attachments

• NSXSuedeSeats.jpg
    NSXSuedeSeats.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 377
  • NSXSuedeDoors.jpg
    NSXSuedeDoors.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 384
ktan said:
I'm about 90% sure that this is a F430, not 360, the dash pod configuration similar to the enzo, i could be wrong though.

You could be right. I'm not terribly familiar with Ferrari interiors. I got that pic off a dealer website. All the exterior pics were definitely the 360CS, but they may have gotten the interior shots mixed up.

Back