• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Anyone use a test pipe with OEM exhaust?

I had that combo until I changed to a custom built exhaust. It makes the car a bit louder, may give you 5 HPs more (just an estimation, nothing you will really feel) but is also way less nice to the enviroment - illegal for street use - as my car is a track only car it doesn't really matter. If you use your car mainly on public roads I would not recommend it.

For all those who think cats should also be in at the track: At full load (and that's the case in about 90% of the time at the track) the OEM cats have nearly no effect - that's at least what my techie said - maybe someone with knowledge could say more about that.

hybridnsx said:
Has anyone tried using test pipes with OEM exhaust and header? Couldn't find any thing through the search. Just looking for a cheap way to make the car louder.

buy something american with a V8! :biggrin:

NSX-Racer said:
For all those who think cats should also be in at the track: At full load (and that's the case in about 90% of the time at the track) the OEM cats have nearly no effect - that's at least what my techie said - maybe someone with knowledge could say more about that.

Cats work the same at all load and speed levels. O2 sensors however do not; perhaps this is what your tech was reffering to. In Az, we have roadside smog spot checks that zap your tailpipe as you drive by. (a.k.a. smog dogs).
They are almost always stationed on freeway ramps, tesing at or near WOT.
If cats were not at max under load, everyone would get nastygrams in the mail, instead of just a select few. :rolleyes:

I'm not much of a tree hugger, more of a tree hand holder. I believe everyone has a MAJOR obligation to protect our planet. I also think car club people have the additional responsibility to protect the amazing ecoscapes we yearn to drive endlesslly. IMO, a street car with no cats is a bad thing.

MB

NSXTech said:
They are almost always stationed on freeway ramps, tesing at or near WOT.
If cats were not at max under load, everyone would get nastygrams in the mail, instead of just a select few. :rolleyes:
Thanks for the info but I doubt that most of the people are anywhere near the full load or rpm at a freeway ramp as we are usualy at the track. I assume that such smog spots would give completely different readings when they would stand near a track corner exit of you choice :wink:

And of course you're right: No cats is not a good choice for a road car.

NSX-Racer said:
Thanks for the info but I doubt that most of the people are anywhere near the full load or rpm at a freeway ramp as we are usualy at the track. I assume that such smog spots would give completely different readings when they would stand near a track corner exit of you choice :wink:

Even on the AUTOBAHN :eek: :biggrin: :wink:

Cheers,
MB

Back