• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

AP-X custom subwoofer enclosures

This is the AP-X subwoofer enclosure for NSX.

For some this enclosure needs no introduction, But I would like to update this post with as much current info as I can.

The enclosure is made from an aircraft quality fiberglass shell consisting of both fiberglass may and fiberglass cloth for the highest strength-to-weight ratio, the face (baffle) is solid MDF bonded to the shell using a proprietary process that I devised for a dense wood surface to mount your woofer - I have been building subwoofer enclosures since 1987 so you can be sure you are getting the best possible product.

The available options for this enclosure make it the best option out there for replacing the OEM tiny Bose "subwoofer".

There are essentially 2 versions of this unit - they can all be mounted either under or over the carpet.

1) Regular depth - this has an installed depth about the same as stock, you will not lose any noticeable legroom (if mounted over the carpet).

2) Super slim, this actually adds some legroom over stock making it excellent for those who do not need the "ultimate amount of bass" and / or may have taller passengers. - The amount of bass lost is actually very little at all, the output surprises everyone who hears it.

Options include (but are not limited to):

- Pioneer IB-Flat 8", 10" and 12" ( the 12" is only available in regular depth)

- JL Audio TW3 10" and 12" (again 12" only regular)

- I have also done custom enclosures for wide range of shallow type woofers

- I can also supply a blank face so you can cut it out for whatever sub you might like.

Prices start at $399 although I may have discounted ones from time to time.

Please PM for details or you can feel free to get my email or phone# from the vendors wiki.

Please look through the thread for pictures, I have and will continue uploading more pics.

Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: new sub boxes

I will be starting production on a sub box to replace the tool man box , It will be slightly larger internal volume , but still not intrusive into the footwell
any questions?

1) How much will it cost?
2) Will you have to remove the brackets like the Zetoolman?
3) Will it be for a 10" or an 8" woofer?
4) Will it be ready in time for Christmas?

1) How much will it cost? - I am hoping to make it less than $450 , may make it available in carbon and/or kevlar.
2) Will you have to remove the brackets like the Zetoolman? - I am thinking so , but also looking at molding "pockets" into the box , for the brackets to fit into
3) Will it be for a 10" or an 8" woofer? - 10" - Is thee a demand for 8"?
4) Will it be ready in time for Christmas? - sorry but I don't think so - unless you are thinking next chrismas!!!

I would like to gauge interest in a group buy.
pricing will be somewhat based on demand , although this will be low production (less than 20)

thanks guys and girls!

I would like to gauge interest in a group buy.
pricing will be somewhat based on demand , although this will be low production (less than 20)

thanks guys and girls!

That's funny. I spent all that time coming up with questions and you didn't answer any of them! I'm offended :biggrin:

How are you going to make it bigger AND not loose footwell space??? :confused:

I did a press fit mold to use EVERY possible inch of space. If you recall, the first one was HUGE!! Like .80 cu ft or so. Got complaints that it took up too much of the foot space. So, I did V2 about 3" shorter and a volume of about .67 cu ft. Then the V3 NO LOSS of leg room and still abot .35 cu. ft.

If you want to buy my toolong, it would be easy for you to do it! Send pm if interested. Why reinvent the wheel! :biggrin:

I have Z's Version 3 and its perfect in size in my car. I had 2 others, one I had made and the other his version 2 (which hits so good and my friends love the way it looks) but too much leg room loss. Perfect if you don't have passengers too often. You should check it out and talk to him his box was way better than the one I had made.

I'm sorry if this is a bit off topic. I'd very much like a footwell enclosure that's .45-.5 cf in volume. I was contemplating building it myself but just don't have the time to waste doing a bunch of moch ups. Can anyone give me an idea how much more in say.. inches a .45-.5 enclosure would protrude into the footwell when compared to stock? My guess is maybe 1-2"

btw... to the OP, i'm interested in your enclosure but your description is a bit too ominous. Need more info on what Hapa was asking...even ballpark. I'd rather have a smaller woofer if it means it's the appropriate volume for the sub. Too bad most 8" subs I know of have same tolerances as a 10".

Another option would be to use a 6.5" sub. I'm willing to try these subs in a super small enclosure also. Maybe you can sell me an enclosure and i'll cut out the speaker hole myself for one of these smaller subs.

Kicker's 08CVT654 6.5"
Details:
* 6.5" 4-ohm subwoofer
* injection-molded polypropylene woofer cone with ribbed Santoprene surround
* suitable for marine use
* works in free-air applications
* power handling: 50-150 watts RMS (300 watts peak power)
* frequency response: 30-350 Hz
* sensitivity: 84.6 dB
* top-mount depth: 2-7/8"
* sealed box volume: 0.2-3.0 cubic feet
* warranty: 1 year

OR

The JL Audio 6W3v3-4 (Might be too deep?)
Details:
* 6.5" 4-ohm subwoofer
* mineral-filled polypropylene cone with nitrile-butylene rubber surround
* power range: 40-150 watts RMS
* peak power handling: 300 watts
* frequency response: 30-300 Hz
* sensitivity: 80.49 dB
* top-mount depth: 4-3/16"
* sealed box volume: 0.15 cubic feet

Last edited:

That's funny. I spent all that time coming up with questions and you didn't answer any of them! I'm offended :biggrin:

yes I answered , look at the QUOTE!!!!

1) How much will it cost?
2) Will you have to remove the brackets like the Zetoolman?
3) Will it be for a 10" or an 8" woofer?
4) Will it be ready in time for Christmas?

1) I am hoping to make it less than $450 , may make it available in carbon and/or kevlar.
2) I am thinking so , but also looking at molding "pockets" into the box , for the brackets to fit into
3) 10" - Is thee a demand for 8"?
4) sorry but I don't think so - unless you are thinking next chrismas!!!

HERE you go ADRIAN!!!:smile:

Sell it to Downforce! :biggrin:

I want to make this affordable for nsx owners as well as offer it in carbon and/or kevlar , at a reasonable price too , I also hope to incorporate other features like the "pockets" to avoid having to cut off the factory brackets.
the larger airspace would only be one option.
Keep the feedback coming as to what you would like to see!
thanks

Last edited:

I'm sorry if this is a bit off topic. I'd very much like a footwell enclosure that's .45-.5 cf in volume. I was contemplating building it myself but just don't have the time to waste doing a bunch of moch ups. Can anyone give me an idea how much more in say.. inches a .45-.5 enclosure would protrude into the footwell when compared to stock? My guess is maybe 1-2"

btw... to the OP, i'm interested in your enclosure but your description is a bit too ominous. Need more info on what Hapa was asking...even ballpark. I'd rather have a smaller woofer if it means it's the appropriate volume for the sub. Too bad most 8" subs I know of have same tolerances as a 10".

Another option would be to use a 6.5" sub. I'm willing to try these subs in a super small enclosure also. Maybe you can sell me an enclosure and i'll cut out the speaker hole myself for one of these smaller subs.

Kicker's 08CVT654 6.5"
Details:
* 6.5" 4-ohm subwoofer
* injection-molded polypropylene woofer cone with ribbed Santoprene surround
* suitable for marine use
* works in free-air applications
* power handling: 50-150 watts RMS (300 watts peak power)
* frequency response: 30-350 Hz
* sensitivity: 84.6 dB
* top-mount depth: 2-7/8"
* sealed box volume: 0.2-3.0 cubic feet

OR

The JL Audio 6W3v3-4 (Might be too deep?)
Details:
* 6.5" 4-ohm subwoofer
* mineral-filled polypropylene cone with nitrile-butylene rubber surround
* power range: 40-150 watts RMS
* peak power handling: 300 watts
* frequency response: 30-300 Hz
* sensitivity: 80.49 dB
* top-mount depth: 4-3/16"
* sealed box volume: 0.15 cubic feet

I have seen people do 6.5" drivers , I will consider offering the box with a 6.5" hole , another option would be to supply an adaptor to fit a 6.5"
A 6.5" woofer will never provide the impact of a 10", but if you like the sound of a 6.5 , and only need a little more bass then I may make it available

I have seen people do 6.5" drivers , I will consider offering the box with a 6.5" hole , another option would be to supply an adaptor to fit a 6.5"
A 6.5" woofer will never provide the impact of a 10", but if you like the sound of a 6.5 , and only need a little more bass then I may make it available
Thanks for accommodating. I'd like to go little to no intrusion into the passenger footwell therefore (i think) the biggest you can go is a .19ft^3 box. Please prove me wrong :) !! I want to use the biggest woofer possible for the appropriate enclosure volume.

A ring adapter will work. Still trying to get one of the vendors to sell me an empty enclosure for testing purposes.

btw... the older i get the more i like the softer, fuller sound of a 6" or 8" sub. I must say... i've heard my fair share of 8" subs hit pretty damn hard.

Last edited:

Ok , after much discussion and thought , my first run of enclosures will be very similar to the v3 , with a few noteworty exceptions!
1)they will be available with any size hole you like
2)they will be available in fiberglass , carbon fiber or kevlar
3)I am still working on a way to avoid having to cut off the stock brackets from the floor

I would like to know how many people are interested in the enclosure and what material / size of sub they would like.

Thanks for the input!

Ok , after much discussion and thought , my first run of enclosures will be very similar to the v3 , with a few noteworty exceptions!
1)they will be available with any size hole you like
2)they will be available in fiberglass , carbon fiber or kevlar
3)I am still working on a way to avoid having to cut off the stock brackets from the floor

I would like to know how many people are interested in the enclosure and what material / size of sub they would like.

Thanks for the input!
i'm interested... here's my $0.02
1) I'll go with whatever max volume you can come up with. If like V3 and no extra intrusion into footwell then i'll probably want an 8" woofer in there
2) fiberglass for me. Not in it for the show personally.
3) keeping the factory brackets is a must for me

i'm interested... here's my $0.02
1) I'll go with whatever max volume you can come up with. If like V3 and no extra intrusion into footwell then i'll probably want an 8" woofer in there
2) fiberglass for me. Not in it for the show personally.
3) keeping the factory brackets is a must for me

In designing what you are asking for in your multiple posts, I can tell you first hand you cannot have your cake and eat it to. You either get the most space in air volume in the box without loosing passenger area by removing the brackets OR leave the brackets and loose passenger area OR get a box that does both but is WAY to small!!

When I started out designing these, I went after volume to make the best sound. Yes, I have heard 8's and even 6.5's sound so good you would loose all your money in a bet as to what you were hearing. BUT!!!! The boxes were HUGE and multi chambered. With the NSX, you do not have that luxury. The V3 enclosure I designed is the best of both worlds. No loss of passenger area, great volume for the area, about .35 and works unbelievable with the Earthquake SWS10. The SWS10 was by far the best flat piston driver.

Z

I don't think it's an issue of getting my cake and eating it... Angus is going to build the best box he can at whatever specs he thinks the majority of the people will want to buy. To meet all my criteria (again, i'm just one man) I need all of those things mentioned before (in several posts apparently). So far the closest one that meets my criteria is Sylora's box but I can't acquire one w/o a 10" woofer.

The practical and economic feasibility is what Angus is trying to figure out in this post. I'm here to provide 1 opinion in his research.

Worse case, I build my own but that's a last resort.

I don't think it's an issue of getting my cake and eating it... Angus is going to build the best box he can at whatever specs he thinks the majority of the people will want to buy. To meet all my criteria (again, i'm just one man) I need all of those things mentioned before (in several posts apparently). So far the closest one that meets my criteria is Sylora's box but I can't acquire one w/o a 10" woofer.

The practical and economic feasibility is what Angus is trying to figure out in this post. I'm here to provide 1 opinion in his research.

Worse case, I build my own but that's a last resort.

No worries!! The challenge in making what one thinks they want is the practicality the car provides. To leave all the brackets, (which I do not understand as no one will go back to the Bose sub and downgrade there car) and keep the stock look, is getting a 8" or whatever that will fit in the depth available.

Everyone may have a different ear for sound. But, when you are dealing with a given, sound spectrum is absolute. An 8" or 6.5" will not give the same as a 10". Especially in the small area that is afforded in the NSX. Even more so with the thought of leaving the brackets!

Many are capable of making there own enclosure. The challenge is the potential damage to YOUR car!! That was why I set out to do it in a way that would be unchallenged and perfectly duplicatable. I had many a men who were more than capable of making there own, shops included, but, did not want to reinvent the wheel!! If you have a very special need then knock yourself out and fill it. All I am trying to provide is the knowhow that what you ask for in the end you may not really want!

No worries!! The challenge in making what one thinks they want is the practicality the car provides. To leave all the brackets, (which I do not understand as no one will go back to the Bose sub and downgrade there car) and keep the stock look, is getting a 8" or whatever that will fit in the depth available.

Everyone may have a different ear for sound. But, when you are dealing with a given, sound spectrum is absolute. An 8" or 6.5" will not give the same as a 10". Especially in the small area that is afforded in the NSX. Even more so with the thought of leaving the brackets!

Many are capable of making there own enclosure. The challenge is the potential damage to YOUR car!! That was why I set out to do it in a way that would be unchallenged and perfectly duplicatable. I had many a men who were more than capable of making there own, shops included, but, did not want to reinvent the wheel!! If you have a very special need then knock yourself out and fill it. All I am trying to provide is the knowhow that what you ask for in the end you may not really want!

I agree with what both of you are saying , I was in car audio for many years and I have seen almost every type of customer that there is , my opinion is , to let everyone have what they want since sound is highly subjective.

Granted , flat sound is flat sound and can be measured just the same as low frequency response can be quantfied by measurements, the thing is not everyone likes "flat" and not everyone wants bass response down to 20-30 Hz.
So in light of this , I would like to offer everyone their cake , so long as I don't have to eat it too:smile:

I have had people ask me to make a 12" fit the nsx , my response was "OK no problem, as long as you don't want to sit in the passenger seat"

You can't always have your cake and eat it too , but just as cars are available in different colors (some HIDEOUS:smile:) I think that you should be able to get what you want when you are willing to pay for it!

thanks everyone and hope to hear some more input!

sub boxes should be ready within the next month or so. Two designs available , posssibly three.

sub boxes should be ready within the next month or so. Two designs available , posssibly three.

Care to elaborate on the options? I'll be in the market for a sub box soon. My car already has the footwell brackets removed so I'm voting for something like the v3 box.. but cheaper would be nice. :biggrin:

Back