• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Apple Macbook Pro 17'' vs. Dell Studio XPS 16''

Apple vs. Dell

• Total voters
Which one and why?

The Mac:
apple-macbook-pro-17.gif

2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x2GB
256GB Solid State Drive
$3,549.00

The Dell:
STUDIO%20XPS%2016.jpg

Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T9800 (6MB cache/2.93GHz/1066Mhz FSB)
6GB DDR3 SDRAM at 1067MHz (2 Dimms)
256GB Solid State Drive
$2,649.00

Last edited:
the mac,

my wife has had two macbook pros... her current one is the unibody version like above in 15".

I have owned Several dell laptops and am typing this on one right now . the mac with unibody is an exotic high quality machine... the Dell is a plastic flimsy laptop.

the ergonomics of the mac are far superior. Nicer led backlit screen, nicer backlit keys, the new mouse on the unibody macs is killer. it double clicks, opens multiple windows is you use multiple fingers on it (it senses each finger) closes multiple windows etc. that 17" model has 5 hour battery life. the performance of the mac will impress you as it is not bogged down with all the extra anti virus crap that you have to put on the dell. The mac is like an applicance and the dell (or any windows laptop) is like a buck of seperate items that were thrown together etc. anyway if price is your goal buy the dell, if buying a rock solid, high quality device that will make you smile everytime you use it buy the mac.

i would also recommend buying the 3 year applecare.. so in the odd chance you have a problem, you just take it to the nearest apple store and they either fix it or give you a new one.

best of luck

It's all about the OS. Whatever one says about the MacOS and it's usability, I just can't grok it. Windows feels like a comfy shoe after suffering the MacOS and its quirks.

Of course, YMMV...

My personal impressions of working with the computers in-person:

Macbook:

Awesome. Solid Chassis. Very thin. Appears to be high quality. It doesn't even look like a serious laptop because it is so thin and pretty.

The trackpad is AMAZING! I can't imagine how all the PC makers and MSFT have just sat on their fat-arses for all these years and ignored the trackpad on laptops. Apple got the multi-touch RIGHT! Once you set up "tap to click" (when you just tap the touchpad to click vs. pressing down to click) it is a brilliant set-up. I didn't like pressing the entire touchpad for a click. I thought that was a dumb design that just made a hassle out of navigating with the pad.

The gestures were the best part. I've always carried a mouse around with me on PC laptops because it was impossible to be efficient using a touchpad. I think with the Mac, I could go about without a mouse. The 3-swipe forward/back is going to be handy for navigating webpages, the two-finger scrolling is awesome for anything, and the four-finger up/down swipe is very convenient when switching between apps/expose. People who complain about lack of a right click obviously haven't used the system. Just pressing down with two fingers gets you the right click, and I think it is even more convenient than using a mouse. The larger trackpad area also means you get around easily without having to lift, and re-position your hand when you run out of room.

Dell:
It was just like any other PC I've used. Nothing new and exciting, and nothing surprising. Will definitely need to use a mouse (even on-the-go) because the trackpad sucks.

The Studio XPS looks awesome in pictures, but in-person it was really disappointing. That glossy black finish is really just cheap plastic. The leather on the case looks like the cheapest leather I've ever seen. I'd swear it was vinyl. The chassis itself was solid, but the plastic pieces where your hands rest feel like--cheap plastic.

To be fair, I haven't had experience with the 16'' version, they only had a 13'' version at best buy. But I think the materials are the same.

The only thing that is really holding me back on the Macbook is:

1. $$$ (even with lower performance specs than the dell, it will STILL cost ~$1000.00 more)

2. Compatibility

I will definitely need to run windows, so I will have to buy a separate copy of windows and use it via bootcamp or VMware (which is extra $$$).

If I had extra cash lying around, I'd just fully spec out of Macbook Pro with the 2.93 Ghz processor and 8 Gb RAM, but I am a little tight and I am afraid that today's top-of-the-line Mac will be obsolete in less than a year.

The other benefit of the Mac is the INSANELY long battery life (they claim 8 hours, but I have read it is more around 4) while I read that the Dell is lucky if it gets to 2 hours. I've recently experienced the pain of not having battery life on my laptop (flying) and now I am really thinking of that as a main concern.

I've had a bad experience with a Dell before, but it was a lower-end model. The fan blew heat right on the hinge of the screen, which was made of cheap pot-metal. The hinge broke. It appears that Dell has neglected this problem, as I've read that the Studio XPS blows hot air right onto the screen. I've also read that it runs hot.

Anyone here have experiences with SSDs? Is it worth it?

BTW:

The Macbook is a unibody chassis made of Aluminium. Remind you guys of anything??? :)

Last edited:
the performance of the mac will impress you as it is not bogged down with all the extra anti virus crap that you have to put on the dell.

Are you saying that you don't have to run ANY anti-virus software on the mac? They aren't vulnerable to viruses at all?

I read that hackers just didn't bother with the macs because so few people used them in the past, but that is changing now. Do they even have anti-virus programs for macs?

correct.. no virus software nada.

also, apple has timemachine software that makes backups a breeze...

That no viruses claim by Mac is going to bite them in the ass someday when someone decides to write a virus. Let's not forget the Macbook was the first computer to be hacked at the CanSecWest contest. Took only 2 minutes. The Sony Vaio and Fujitsu laptops running Vista and Linux fared far better.

My GF's Macbook Pro saga I documented well on that Macbook thread. Probably the biggest POS laptop I've ever had my hands on. I will never recommend one or buy one personally. They do have some nice features but hardly anything you can't live without. I'm spoiled enough to be one of HP's largest customers which entitles me to get my hands on most of their laptops. Personally, I like the business laptops, small screens and very functional. So my vote in this case is anything other than Apple.

My macbook pro 17" is my first mac.

I was so impressed with it that I bought my wife the macbook air for xmas.

I love this thing... I run windows XP on it (parallels) when I need to for my business...

For everything I need it for (itunes, web surfing, pictures, buying parts on prime) it's perfect.

That no viruses claim by Mac is going to bite them in the ass someday when someone decides to write a virus. Let's not forget the Macbook was the first computer to be hacked at the CanSecWest contest. Took only 2 minutes. The Sony Vaio and Fujitsu laptops running Vista and Linux fared far better.

My GF's Macbook Pro saga I documented well on that Macbook thread. Probably the biggest POS laptop I've ever had my hands on. I will never recommend one or buy one personally. They do have some nice features but hardly anything you can't live without. I'm spoiled enough to be one of HP's largest customers which entitles me to get my hands on most of their laptops. Personally, I like the business laptops, small screens and very functional. So my vote in this case is anything other than Apple.

You like HP? I tried out the ones they had at Frys, and I cannot use the trackpad at all. The coefficient of friction is WAYYY too high. They tried to make it look good by making it look like it was uniform with the rest of the palm-rest, but by doing that they sacrificed all functionality. My finger was skidding across that thing...I guess it wouldn't be a problem if I just took a mouse everywhere I went.

Besides that I don't have any personal complaints, as I haven't used them much. The other stuff should be fine--looks like any other PC.

You like HP? I tried out the ones they had at Frys, and I cannot use the trackpad at all. The coefficient of friction is WAYYY too high. They tried to make it look good by making it look like it was uniform with the rest of the palm-rest, but by doing that they sacrificed all functionality. My finger was skidding across that thing...I guess it wouldn't be a problem if I just took a mouse everywhere I went.

Besides that I don't have any personal complaints, as I haven't used them much. The other stuff should be fine--looks like any other PC.

You know, I'm actually a bit old school when it comes to notebooks. I like the booger joystick thing vs a track pad. I like small mice the best. My business laptop doesn't have one of shiny track surfaces, my gf's hp has a shiny track surface and I could use either with no preference. I just get used to what I'm working with kinda like switching to drinking diet soda.

I defiantly have opinions about mac vs windows. Yes mac's are awesome. They really are, they are solid, great performing, almost no bugs computers. But they are that way because they are proprietary machines. Apple makes the software, apple makes the hardware, apple has a whopping 3% market share. Apple computers are also some of the most expensive machines out there. My biggest problem with apple fan boy's are their attitudes. Show some respect where respect is due. If it weren't for Microsoft we wouldnt even have they market we have today. Yes windows is buggy, yes there are a million virus's for windows. But that is because Microsoft has to make their OS work with a million 3rd party hardware vendor's, a million 3rd party software makers. Microsoft pushed for cheap easy to use computers.

Again, Apple's are awesome machines, I always use my macbook for hardcore graphics processing. But for overall networking, and ease of use you can't beat a Windows machine.

You can spend 900$ building a top of the line windows machine, or spend 2-3000$ on a top of the line apple computer.

That is enough for me to make the choice.

Just my opinion.

You know, I'm actually a bit old school when it comes to notebooks. I like the booger joystick thing vs a track pad. I like small mice the best. My business laptop doesn't have one of shiny track surfaces, my gf's hp has a shiny track surface and I could use either with no preference. I just get used to what I'm working with kinda like switching to drinking diet soda.

I like the button joystick too. That is what I used on my IBM Thinkpad.

The only touchpad I would use is on the Apple.

Otherwise it will always be a mouse.

I love this thing... I run windows XP on it (parallels) when I need to for my business...

For everything I need it for (itunes, web surfing, pictures, buying parts on prime) it's perfect.

I get these kind of comments all the time from my customers. They love the Mac, but when it's time to actually get some work done instead of just dicking around, they run Windows :biggrin:.

I get these kind of comments all the time from my customers. They love the Mac, but when it's time to actually get some work done instead of just dicking around, they run Windows :biggrin:.

lol. Yeah, it's a good thing I don't work too much!

I think I could buy quickbooks for Mac, but I didn't bother. I thought I'd be using more windows programs, but it turns out that QB is the only one. When I upgrade to the new version (mac) I probably won't run windows anymore.

I consider myself a casual computer person... my hardcore days of reading code etc when I was a teenager are long gone. I like how everything WORKS on the mac... it never crashes, it knows how to just load things, it's just easier. At this point in my life, it's just what I need.

I was a diehard PC person for the longest time... I resisted switching to the mac... I'm glad I finally got one.

Are you saying that you don't have to run ANY anti-virus software on the mac? They aren't vulnerable to viruses at all?

I read that hackers just didn't bother with the macs because so few people used them in the past, but that is changing now. Do they even have anti-virus programs for macs?

This is a huge fallacy. The reason why Macs have almost nil viruses has to do with the way the OS is designed.

I should also add that recently a number of Mac users became "infected" when they downloaded a pirated copy of Apple's iWork 09. There's not much you can do about this. These people knowingly downloaded and installed suspect software. The OS requires that you log in with system privs to install the app and that's how the virus get in.

Last edited:

There are a few apps that are just not available natively on the Mac. For example, SolidWorks.

I really, really wish they would bring SolidWorks out for Mac OS X, but it's not a too much big deal to boot XP on my Mac and run it. Of course, when you run Windows on a Mac you're still subject to catching viruses, so you need to take all the typical precautions. I generally disable my network connection when I run Windows.

The PC. Faster and far less expensive. Mac's are nice, but they are WAY overpriced for what you get.

Get the Mac. Get SolidWorks. You will not regret it.

Oh, yes. That's what i did and everything works great.

I guess it wasn't clear when I wrote it but that's what I do. I use Apple's BootCamp instead of the other apps that would let me run Mac OS X and XP concurrently because I want all of the memory and CPU available for SW.

I am planning to get a 500GB-7200rpm drive for my MacBookPro however.

Eventually, I'll also get the new "Nehalem" based MacPro and the upcoming GTX285 video card.

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/09/04/29/nvidia_prepping_geforce_gtx_285_for_mac_pro.html

By the way, for those who say Macs are overpriced, the new MacPro with the Xeon Nehalem CPU is very cost competitive with other high-end PCs.

------------------------------------------

http://blog.jbhannah.net/p/379

Mac Pro: $6,399.00
http://store.apple.com/us/configure/MB535LL/A?mco=NDE4NDIyMQ
Two 2.93GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
12GB (6x2GB)
640GB 7200-rpm Serial ATA 3Gb/s
ATI Radeon HD 4870 512MB

Dell T7500: $9,330
http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?c=us&cs=555&fb=1&l=en&oc=MLB1755_64_2&s=biz
Dual Quad Core Intel™ Xeon® Processors X5570 2.93GHz,8M L3,6.4GT/s, turbo
12GB, DDR3 RDIMM Memory, 1066MHz, ECC (6 DIMMS)
512MB NVIDIA® Quadro® FX 580, DUAL MON, 2 DP & 1 DVI
750GB SATA 3Gb/s

HP Z600: $7,337.00
http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/pscmisc/vac/us/en/sm/workstations/z600.html
Intel® Xeon® X5570 2.93 8MB/1333 QC CPU
Intel® Xeon® X5570 2.93 8MB/1333 QC CPU-2
NVIDIA Quadro FX580 512MB Graphics
HP 12GB (6x2GB) DDR3-1333 ECC 2-CPU RAM
HP 500GB SATA 7200 1st HDD

-J

Attachments

• dell-precision-mac-pro.jpg
    dell-precision-mac-pro.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Oh, yes. That's what i did and everything works great.

I guess it wasn't clear when I wrote it but that what I do. I use Apple's BootCamp instead of the other apps that would let me run Mac OS X and XP concurrently because I want all of the memory and CPU available for SW.

I am planning to get a 500GB-7200rpm drive for my MacBookPro however.

-J

How do you transfer your OS and everything else over to the new hard drive? Since operating systems are licensed (usually) for only one computer, how do they know you are just swapping hard drives and not putting it on another computer?

I'm asking because I was thinking of just getting the standard HDD on the mac, and waiting for a 512 Gb SSD to be released. I think they are just starting to come out, and within a year the prices could be where the 256 Gb SSDs are at now. But then I wouldn't know if I could just transfer all my stuff (including the OS) to the new SSD.

How do you transfer your OS and everything else over to the new hard drive? Since operating systems are licensed (usually) for only one computer, how do they know you are just swapping hard drives and not putting it on another computer?

I'm asking because I was thinking of just getting the standard HDD on the mac, and waiting for a 512 Gb SSD to be released. I think they are just starting to come out, and within a year the prices could be where the 256 Gb SSDs are at now. But then I wouldn't know if I could just transfer all my stuff (including the OS) to the new SSD.

Good question. I started from scratch and installed a new copy of XP and SW. I would assume, however that one could use Acronis (www.acronis.com) utilities to do a clone or ghost transfer.

Perhaps one of PC/XP gurus can tell us if Acronis (or some other utility) can make a mirror image clone/ghost of one disk, including licensed software, to another disk?

-J

one word on hp laptops... JUNK

I have one and when the keyboard failed i learned it is a 500.00 repair b/c the keyboard is hard wired to the motherboard. NO other laptop does this. this is like having to replace the engine in your nsx becuase it cannot be disconected when your alternator breaks.

depends on what you are doing if you play games get the dell if not then get the mac. If you want to save money get the dell if not get the mac. That's really the only cases. the whole mac vs pc thing is dumb because a mac is a pc and has the same chipset. people really mean osx vs windows.

Back