• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Are there more NA-1 NSX's?

It seems there are more NA-1's for sale/bought/discussed than the NA-2's. Of the NA-2's it seems there are more new body style (2002-2005) for sale/bought/discussed than the 1997-2001 NA-2's in these forums. Am i just biased?:confused:

So would that help retain value, if you're an NA-2 with the pop-up's compared to say an NA-2 with the new nose?:biggrin:

Last edited:
It probably actually works against you.

You can fix that by selling me your car over in Lenoir City. :biggrin:

So would that help retain value, if you're an NA-2 with the pop-up's compared to say an NA-2 with the new nose?:biggrin:
the first NA2 (97-01) had the 3.2L motor, but was not visually differentiable, and was not viewed as a "major upgrade" by some - several NA1 owners decided to mod their cars instead of getting the new one. The 02-05 NA2 with the nose/headlamp/tail-lamp mods was a visual refresh - not surprised if these are more popular... even so that many NA1/early NA2 folks are converting their cars (fixed headlamps, etc).

My fave is still the JDM NA1 NSX-R.

the first NA2 (97-01) had the 3.2L motor, but was not visually differentiable
There were slight visual differences from the preceding years, such as the wider chin spoiler and the shiny seven-spoke wheels. However, those are cosmetic changes and certainly not as noticeable as the refresh which took place for '02.

I haven't seen many people convert their nose, I don't see how it would fit or look right.

I haven't seen many people convert their nose, I don't see how it would fit or look right.

It would look exactly the same as a stock 02+. :confused:

The parts all fit albeit with some very minor mods. Many owners have done the conversion, including me, and it's indistinguishable from a stock 02+.

I personally liked the look of the newer exposed, fixed headlights and redesigned front bumper assy. Also, the pop-up headlight assys. are quite heavy. Replacing them with the newer style saved at least 25 lbs. :wink:

I would have thought it would be the other way around, going back to the pop ups. I think the older style is much better looking than the fixed

I would have thought it would be the other way around, going back to the pop ups. I think the older style is much better looking than the fixed

I agree, nowadays everybody is fixed. I bet there will be some new cars with pop-ups in the future. And since you are vietnsexy, how can anyone argue.:wink:

No one is going back to pop-ups guys. It's a matter of performance. Less weight, better aerodynamics. Now there will be LED's and that will streamline the housings even more. You aren't going to see pop-ups come back... it's not a matter of style.

No one is going back to pop-ups guys. It's a matter of performance. Less weight, better aerodynamics. Now there will be LED's and that will streamline the housings even more. You aren't going to see pop-ups come back... it's not a matter of style.

+1

You won't see new pop-ups unless it's on a retro car. Weight and more moving parts are a factor. There are very few pros and many cons.

To me, pop-ups were way overdone in the late 70s to the late 90s. They're like fins. You won't ever see them on a new, modern style car. Pop-ups IMO really date a car's design to the 80s just like fins date to the 50s and huge grilles date to the 30s-40s.

Some of those style lines never go out, ie the new mustang/camaro/challenger. Daytime, pop-ups look the best of all I think, nighttime is a different story.

I'm not sure how much weight savings is for headlights or all the moving parts but don't new cars have a bunch more moving parts/complex systems/weight with all their new tech on them?
Pop ups make certain cars look dated but on the NSX, Miata, Lambos, Esprits, 240 and F355 I think they look sexy. Better than the fixed!

The only part that frustrates me is the NSX lights are a bit dim. If I could make them pop up HID I would like that better.

I'm not sure how much weight savings is for headlights or all the moving parts but don't new cars have a bunch more moving parts/complex systems/weight with all their new tech on them?
Pop ups make certain cars look dated but on the NSX, Miata, Lambos, Esprits, 240 and F355 I think they look sexy. Better than the fixed!

The only part that frustrates me is the NSX lights are a bit dim. If I could make them pop up HID I would like that better.

Different strokes I guess but IMO all the cars mentioned above have 80s styling all over them. The Miata, Lambos, Corvette, Ferraris, Porsches and the even the new Esprit concept have all moved to fixed, exposed lights except the Miura concept which is retro. The 240Z/300Z looks very 80s (the 240 was way ahead of it's time however) and the F355 looks inferior to the NSX and was basically just a 348 with new doors. The Supra went to fixed/exposed in 1993.

There may be newer parts on cars which add weight but pop-ups create even more unnecessary weight. I was absolutely shocked by the weight of the NSX headlight assys. when I removed them. Very heavy, particularly when we all know Honda was doing their damndest to reduce weight on the NSX wherever possible.

There are at least 3 reputable vendors for retrofit hids on your popups.Check the vendor forum.

I like the sealed/flush look - ala the F40 (or NSX Back Yard Special). Took this shot of the BYS car at NSX Fiesta about 5+ years ago --

ZWSDSCN0071-vi.jpg

Something like this with better construction (the BYS one had horrible water-sealing), and maybe some kinda shutter linkage that exposed the lamps when needed - like the lens cover on a point-n-shoot digicam. Should be less mass than pivoting an entire sealed bucket, and none of the aero penalty.

I like the look of the pop-ups.. when they're down. I don't think their older style look is a problem unless you drive around with your headlights on all day.

I agree, different strokes, I graduated high-school in 1985 at the height of the Magnum P.I. series. 308's,Countachs were the kings. I don't think that style ever went out completely, there all kinds of 80's radio stations and cover bands nowadays. I also think the Dana Carvey, Mike Myers, Chris Farley years were the last funny SNL days. I'm still not sure why you would put a new nose on an NSX, just buy a 2002-2005 if it just has to be that way.

Back