• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Arkansas 3 Mountains Tour - Sunday, 9/14/08, Tour of Mts. Petit Jean, Nebo & Magazine

Arkansas 3 Mountains Tour - Sunday, 9/28/08, Tour of Mts. Petit Jean, Nebo & Magazine

Mark your calendars for Sunday, September 28th and go here for details:

http://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=619262

Note: This is a separate event from the semi-annual Boston Mountains Tour (BMT) which will be held on Saturday, November 1st.

This tour will start at Mather Lodge Restaurant. Registration will open at 10:30 AM and end at 10:55 AM. We'll have lunch at the restaurant from 11AM to 11:45AM and begin the tour shortly thereafter.

Please arrive with a full tank and have your two-way radios preset to channel 4, sideband 0.

Here is a link to the Arkansas Department of Parks & Tourism.

In no particular order, here are some hotels around the Ozark, Russellville, and Morrilton areas:

Days Inn - Ozark
Days Inn - Clarksville
Oxford Inn
Comfort Inn - Clarksville
Holiday Inn - Russellville
Days Inn - Morrilton
Cedar Falls Motel

Last edited:
Re: Arkansas 3 Mountains Tour - Sunday, 9/14/08, Tour of Mts. Petit Jean, Nebo & Maga

Hello All, On our 14 Sept Three Mountain Tour, we will have lunch at the Mather Lodge Restaurant atop Mt. Petit Jean (good food!), and supper at the Wiederkehr Village Restaurant (great food!) atop Mt. St. Mary (near Altus, AR). I sure hope you all can make this (slower than BMT) scenic tour. The tour is about 125 mile long. The free tour registration starts at 10:30 am at the Mather Lodge and supper should end between 6:00 to 6:30 PM. We have planned four en route photo op stops at scenic mountain overlooks and two other en route stops for restroom breaks. I am recommending that tour participants arrive atop Mt. Petit Jean about 45 minutes before the 10:30 am Tour Registration period so as to have time to visit Petit Jean's (grave) Overlook and the Cedar Falls Overlook (requires 10-min easy walk down to overlook of the waterfall from parking lot.). Both of those scenic overlooks are worth seeing, but are not included in our tour.

jmoore2k
NW Arkansas
Black Stealth S2000

Re: Arkansas 3 Mountains Tour - Sunday, 9/14/08, Tour of Mts. Petit Jean, Nebo & Maga

I am recommending that tour participants arrive atop Mt. Petit Jean about 45 minutes before the 10:30 am Tour Registration period so as to have time to visit Petit Jean's (grave) Overlook and the Cedar Falls Overlook (requires 10-min easy walk down to overlook of the waterfall from parking lot.). Both of those scenic overlooks are worth seeing, but are not included in our tour.
Here's a copy of the brochure to the aforementioned grave and scenic overlooks:

PetitJeanBrochurePg1.jpg

PetitJeanBrochurePg2.jpg

PM me your email address if you'd like to see the PDF version.

Hello All, Tomorrow (Sunday), JulieU and I are doing a complete pre-drive of the Arkansas Three Mountain Tour route. We recently had 5 to 7 inches of rain in this area, and we will be checking out the road conditions tomorrow. None of the roads on our tour route have been listed as being closed by the Arkansas Highway Dept., but we will carefully check them out so that there will be no roadway suprises.
You NSX folks are certainly invited to join any of our Arkansas tours! If you are unable to attend this 125-mile tour on 14 September, please consider attending our '08 Fall Boston Mountain Tour (approx 270-miles) on 1 November.

jmoore2k
NW Arkansas
Black Stealth S2000

Hello All, Yesterday, JulieU and I made the pre-drive of the entire 3-Mtn Tour route. None the roads (all paved) on the tour were affected by the rains. We have tweaked the route slightly to make it even better and avoid some traffic points. Total tour mileage is 121.3-miles (about 3 hours actual driving time not counting the several stops). The tour lasts from 10:30 AM (registration) to about 6 PM (end of supper).
Parking is limited at the Mather Lodge, so plan to arrive by 10:30 AM to be able to park there. There are no scheduled stops for gas, so please fillup before driving up Mount Petit Jean. Be sure to bring your vidcams and cameras, or you will be wishing you had one.
There are some very challenging switchback curves on this tour. For safety consideration: drivers please do not wear thongs, sandals, loafers, or any other loose fitting shoes on this tour. You do not want foot apparel coming off and getting in the way of your feet during spirited mountain driving!
I am looking forward for us all having a great time next Sunday!

jmoore2k
NW Arkansas
Black Stealth S2000

Hello All, The weather this Sunday, 14 Sept, may cause us to reschedule for the rain date of Sunday, 28 Sept. Keep a daily watch on this thread for a possible date change due to weather.

jmoore2k
NW Arkansas

RESCHEDULE NOTICE!
Hello All: JulieU and I agree that the Three Mountain Tour must be rescheduled for the rain date of Sunday, 28 September. The today's weather forcast for Russellville, AR this Sunday, 14 September is for 80% rain in AM and PM (the same as for NW Arkansas). If the remnants of hurricane Ike get to central Arkansas on Sunday as expected, the 80% rain will go to 100% with flooding.
No one is more bummed out about this than I am, but our sports cars are not made to ford deep water. And trust me, nobody wants to drive those hairpin curves on Mt. Nebo in a rainstorm!
Everybody has sufficient time now to reschedule their motel reservations.
Therefore, the Three Mountain Tour is now scheduled for Sunday, 28 Sept '08 at the same time-of-day and place.
jmoore2k
NW Arkansas

We realize that, due to the postponement of this tour, some folks' availability to attend may have changed. Therefore, we ask that you all let us know again whether or not you plan on attending by posting here. We are just trying to get a new/more accurate headcount for lunch and dinner reservations, so we also ask that you please let us know if a passenger/co-driver will be accompanying you.

Hi All, the weather this weekend is expected to be great! JulieU and I have all the details worked out for the Three Mountain Tour! We should have a great time. Please arrive at the start place by 10:30 AM with a full tank of gas. Set your two-way radios to channel 4.
See you Sunday!
jmoore2k
NW Arkansas
Black Stealth S2000

Back