• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

ASM Motorsport single turbo kit vs. SOS twin

Hey guys I'm getting ready to pull trigger on a turbo kit for my 2000 NSX. I've narrowed it down to 2 very nice looking kits I feel. SOS and A.S. Motorsports. SOS has their annual sale right going on right now for an additional $695 off their twin kit bring it to $11,200-ish. A.S. Motorsports single kit seems very well engineered but have yet to see one installed in the states or talked about on here in depth. It's roughly $10,500. I've had this NSX about 8 years. It's totally stock mechanically with 48,000 miles. It get driven approximately 1,000 miles/yr. Looking to up whp 125-175 with minimal of issues/drama. No track use just fun weekend car. I have a built GN for the drag strip. Just looking for a bit more power than stock and definitely turbo not SC.

What would you guys recommend?
Thanks

I have been running the LoveFab single turbo kit installed by SOS since 2008 and 42,000 miles (557rwhp). It has been 100% reliable and I have been more than satisfied with it. I have a buddy running the SOS kit making (675rwhp) and he seems pretty satisfied with his set up. The SOS Twin Turbo kit was not out when I went with the LoveFab kit. I probably would have gone with the SOS TT kit if it was available at the time.

I’d get the sos twin. You’d have great support from them on this platform. Not that you wouldn’t have it from A.S. But they are in a different country.

Sos twin owner here. 35k miles and only turbo related issue ive had was malfunction of blow off valve at like 10k miles (warrantied by them, parts and labor). 675rwhp. Build quality was top tier, reliability has been awesome. Highly recommend the Sos flex fuel option when you do it.

Well we've done a few builds here, just completed one for a UK customer last week over at the UK forum there should be a review of him.
And I believe on the European forum there should be a topic on the white NSX from Finland that has done 40.000 miles on the kit.

I don't think you can go wrong with either system. I have the SOS twins on a 3.5 and I couldn't be happier. It pulls very hard regardless of RPM or speed. BTW I removed a lovefab system and replaced it with the SOS twins. This had nothing to do with reliability, just packaging preference.

Something to consider in terms of complexity / reliability. I think some single turbo systems require an oil scavenge pump because of the low placement of the turbo. I seem to recall that the twin turbo arrangement has the turbos high enough to eliminate the need for the scavenge pump. Also, recall that the exhaust turbine is essentially a heat recovery engine. Theoretically the twin turbo arrangement should have shorter hot side piping reducing heat loss in the exhaust gas prior to expansion in the turbine. Lots of insulation on the single turbo hot side piping might minimize that theoretical advantage.

Hey guys I'm getting ready to pull trigger on a turbo kit for my 2000 NSX. I've narrowed it down to 2 very nice looking kits I feel. SOS and A.S. Motorsports. SOS has their annual sale right going on right now for an additional $695 off their twin kit bring it to $11,200-ish. A.S. Motorsports single kit seems very well engineered but have yet to see one installed in the states or talked about on here in depth. It's roughly $10,500. I've had this NSX about 8 years. It's totally stock mechanically with 48,000 miles. It get driven approximately 1,000 miles/yr. Looking to up whp 125-175 with minimal of issues/drama. No track use just fun weekend car. I have a built GN for the drag strip. Just looking for a bit more power than stock and definitely turbo not SC.

What would you guys recommend?
Thanks

I thought you had left Atlanta! lol.
I don't know anything about A.S. but I will say from my experience, go with S.O.S.
Know that, there is no warranty for work/turbo, regardless to what your told.
I had issues with two companies that co$t, due to others mistakes.
S.O.S. is the only company that met me half way/cost. Rebuilt motor twice.

(And for you haters/DramaQueens, no the other company was not Lovefab)

Chris was very informative, met deadlines as promised, recommended upgrades,
talked me out of unneeded but desired extras and kept it cool even when I was hot.
Even with the sour taste in my mouth, I would do business with them again without insecurities.

Since my last trip to S.O.S. I have had no issues.(knock on would, steel & aluminum)
Peiserg to date has not complained once.....
And Brandonsan's killer Bee sounds so awesome... Lawd Have mercy!
I've made up your mind for you I'm sure. lol.

Last edited:
i will also add that SOS talked me OUT of several upgrades i was interested in that they sell and install... more than once. SOS is a business and of course is there to make money, but they have always taken the long view of wanting a long term satisfied customer that comes back and refers them business rather than a quick sale.

Isn’t the ASM turbo kit more efficient / cutting edge because it is designed to work with a high compression motor like modern factory OEM systems?

Would love to be educated a little here from some of the more knowledgeable members...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Something to consider in terms of complexity / reliability. I think some single turbo systems require an oil scavenge pump because of the low placement of the turbo. I seem to recall that the twin turbo arrangement has the turbos high enough to eliminate the need for the scavenge pump. Also, recall that the exhaust turbine is essentially a heat recovery engine. Theoretically the twin turbo arrangement should have shorter hot side piping reducing heat loss in the exhaust gas prior to expansion in the turbine. Lots of insulation on the single turbo hot side piping might minimize that theoretical advantage.

Generally single turbines would need a return pump but since ours is angled above the differential its a gravity system, it's on the same elevation a twin turbo turbine would be.
As for the heat recovery, this is correct but twin turbos double the amount of weight and oiling and piping.
Using a single turbine with a twin scroll housing and perfectly equal length piping allows all the exhaust gasses to spool one intake turbine blade, this is a large reduction in rotating mass and efficiency as all available heat and flow is directed to turning one shaft instead of two.

Also can't stress enough the reduction in weight of two vs one turbo that plus the complexity of al the dual components.

Back