• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

ATT'N NEWER NSX owners - tire availability info

Especially as info for 2002 & newer NSX owners -

Disclaimer: I am NO tire expert. Only passing along something I learned today.

2002 + newer NSX's came with Bridgestone Potenza tires. After Bridgestone ceased to offer our OEM sized rubber anymore, some of us moved into Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star-Spec tires in OEM sizes.

Today I placed a Tire Rack order for two new rear tires (255/40ZR17 : 94W).
Heads up!
In early 2013 Dunlop will release the Direzza Z2 Star-Spec tire. They WILL NOT be compatible with the Z1.

Plan accordingly.

I've been getting ~7500 miles out of Z1 rears, fronts seem as though they will last ~ 14-15 K miles, dunno yet! 2:1 ratio.
Z2 is described as "really different" tread pattern :eek:

As reference to increasing (everything) tire prices:

Z1 Star-Spec Rear NSX tire each 4-2010: $168. In Oct. 2011: $172. In April 2012: $181

Dunlop-Direzza-ZII-tyres.jpg

Wonder how they will be improved. I have these on my Nsx and ran 4 sets of them on my S2000 but switch to RS3's on the S2000 since they are stickier and cost less. I might switch on the Nsx if they keep raising the prices.

Especially as info for 2002 & newer NSX owners -

Disclaimer: I am NO tire expert. Only passing along something I learned today.

2002 + newer NSX's came with Bridgestone Potenza tires. After Bridgestone ceased to offer our OEM sized rubber anymore, some of us moved into Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star-Spec tires in OEM sizes.

Today I placed a Tire Rack order for two new rear tires (255/40ZR17 : 94W).
Heads up!
In early 2013 Dunlop will release the Direzza Z2 Star-Spec tire. They WILL NOT be compatible with the Z1.

Plan accordingly.

I've been getting ~7500 miles out of Z1 rears, fronts seem as though they will last ~ 14-15 K miles, dunno yet! 2:1 ratio.
Z2 is described as "really different" tread pattern :eek:

As reference to increasing (everything) tire prices:

Z1 Star-Spec Rear NSX tire each 4-2010: $168. In Oct. 2011: $172. In April 2012: $181

Thanks for the heads up!

Oh geez, as usual you guys are all over this! THX CL65 and AdvansCPAP that is SOME kinda weird-looking tread pattern. Doesn't look like enough!

butter I am happy to help, and blacknot isn't it something the way the Z1 cost has increased? Discount Tire Direct told me over seven months ago they could no longer offer this tire because T Rack had exclusive rights on it. Maybe that has something to do with increased price :redface::confused::frown:

This may be a dump question but should we get the current Z1 while we still can or is it better to wait for the new one?

Back