• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Audi R8 - compression vs spark ??

Discussion to get folks opinions on whether diesel power really belongs on supercars.

The recent hp wars amongst the German/US constructors have made for interesting brochure numbers. Its also telling that most Mercedes AMG cars are at the top of the fuel-guzzler list in each class.

The recent success of the V10 powered Audi R10 TDI in Le Mans and ALMS LMP1 racing has inspired a number of constructors to put out oil-burners.
- various SUVs - including VW Touareg V10-TDI, Audi Q7, etc
- VW 4.9L V10 -
- Mercedes with their Bluetec (urea injector)
- 3.0L I6 - 215 hp/398 lb-ft - 24 mpg
- 4.2L V8 - 295 hp/515 lb-ft - 24 mpg (
- Audi R8 with V12-TDI (6.0L V12 - 500 hp/738 lb-ft, 23 mpg)
- BMW with their x35d (3.0 L I-6 TDI - 265 hp/425 lb-ft, 33 mpg)

Mercedes even has a diesel/electric hybrid, about to launch on a 2010 S-class (S300d - 40 mpg - above 3.0L I6 with total 560 N-m torque).

Diesel on a supercar ?? yea or nay ?? if not, why not ?

"Diesel on a supercar "
Why not?, I saw the Audi V12 TDI in person last year at the ALMS race last year and it was a nice piece of engineering. If performance and efficiency are increased, why not? You could make the same argument for electric cars like the Tesla which is a pretty fast and efficient car..

"Diesel on a supercar "
Why not?, I saw the Audi V12 TDI in person last year at the ALMS race last year and it was a nice piece of engineering. If performance and efficiency are increased, why not? You could make the same argument for electric cars like the Tesla which is a pretty fast and efficient car..
I agree... the main dig on them is that comparably- sized diesel motors tend to be heavier (more heavy-duty components - iron block? - with the higher compression).

I'd pick a high-output TDI on the Audi R8, any SUV, and on most Mercedes/BMW "sporty cars" (am hoping that AMG or M diesel are coming soon, with appropriate sport suspension/brake tuning) ... its one of those examples where "horsepower gets them off the dealer floor; but its torque that scoots them off the line".

If its fast and sexy, it can run on used kleenex as far as I am concerned. I'm not bias to what kind of fuel. :biggrin:

Note Doc Brown's Mr Fusion to power the DeLorean...BEER! :tongue: :biggrin:

mr-fusion.jpg

Back