• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

AUSSIE NSX buy!

Hi to all Aussies on this forum.

i am looking to get a new car. I never had the idea to get a used NSX cause i always thought they were way out of my league. But i had a look at the classifys and with the limited cars for sales i have noticed two price brackets for similar year/model NSX.

i assume these are for offical Aust. delivered NSX and the cheaper ones being private/grey imports. The cheaper price bracket is around the same price as some "common" cars i'm interested in :tongue:

Is it still possible to import nsx (from JAPAN)? and what kinda prices will i be looking at?

I dont know much about these great cars but am gaining more interest by the day :biggrin:

Thanks guys! :redface:

G'day mate!!! :p :D Welcome to NSX Prime.

Forget Japanese Imports unless you have contacts. That leaves you with ~130 Aussie NSX's not including the private imports to choose from.

There are a few here:
http://www.drive.com.au/used_cars/HONDA/NSX/results.aspx?from=0&m=HONDA|NSX (the '91 in Sydney is in good condition; owned by a member of prime)

For a '91, depending on the condition you're looking at $40-$80,000. You pay more, you get a car in better condition usually.

Since you're new, don't forget to do a SEARCH for "Aussie" "Australia" "Melbourne" and "Sydney"... you'll find lots of awesome threads like this:

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40126 (Great Ocean Road Teaser)

and Melbourne's last december cruise:

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44405&highlight=aussie

Gday Mate!
Welcome to NSX PRIME!
There are a few of us Sydney NSX's. Mostly Red :)

Anyways in regards to buying an NSX. 15 year old import is gone. Personal imports are possible but you have to own the car for 1 year. Buying a NSX thats already imported is usually cheaper because some had to be stripped and then imported and then put back together again.

a 91-93 can range from 45-80K. anything less than $A60K expect 150K-200K KM in mileage.

Anyways buying an NSX isn't an overnight process most of us have spent months to years before we bought our rides.

NSXBOX said:
Anyways buying an NSX isn't an overnight process most of us have spent months to years before we bought our rides.

Hey, there's always credit ..... or a bank job. :D Maybe we should hit a bank together Nico: then I can buy my NSX and you can buy more parts. :D :D :D

Hi M-This and welcome also

...after searching for months, this site is where most of any of your NSX ?s will be answered..I should know I only reg'd onto the site about a week ago after ghosting here for over a month researching and then finally buying an NSX myself in Sydney..!! [just over 2 weeks ago]...still smiling and still looking for reasons to take it for a run..!!

I too strongly considered an import 3 of which may still be available 2 91s and I think a 94, the 2 91 s one is silver with 30,000kms around $60K AUD, the others 91 was yellow ? private sale and the other [94] was red/bl the dealer is calling it an NSXR..which its not....my advice when you get close on a decision on an NSX is to get one of our local guys to check it with you where poss..that way they can keep check on 'the red mist in your eyes' and keep the fiocus on the car's presentation/facts...anything getting below mid $60Ks is probably a compromise on something mechanical or cosmetic or both, the mid price seems to be into the 70s..80/90s gets into later year [94 - 96]models some still can be with higher ks though, probably targas. Autos are fairly rare manuals are more popular altho I think Aus sold more autos.
Regards
David

Thanks everyone for your reply.

NSXBOX said:
Gday Mate!
a 91-93 can range from 45-80K. QUOTE]

So i gather from your post, that the large price range may not include imports as well, just that there is a huge range for local cars.

Are there any/many common problems/faults amoung these cars that are, well, getting on in age?

P.S. I had a look at the Science of Speed site and geez, some cosmetic upgrades does indeed cost a bit!!!! :eek: ( i guess most parts are for racing applications, or at least proven to be)

Is there any Aust sites that sell some parts for NSX?

NSX can vary in prices greatly. From owners who know all about the car that want what it is really worth $65 to $80, to rich folk with more money than sense and sell their cars for $45 just because they can.

Just remember you are buying a 14 year old car so you can bargain pretty hard, but then again i would be hard press to sell my for any money and that is what the majority of sellers are actually doing advertising until they get the right price. So be wary of the cheap cars unless they have been on the market a while which most of them are anyway.

Good Luck and remember to join the NSX club of Sydney. (But that means you have to buy a red one :biggrin: :biggrin: )

<B>NSXclubofAustralia</B> : ROFL... I deliberately omitted a link to a Sydney drive... ah man, you took the bait! ROFL ROFL :D :D Although I must admit you guys have a white NSX: we dont. :( We just have a lot of BAD BOYZ in BLACK!!! :D

Sillyness aside, you are right - there are more auto's than manuals on the NSX market.

Also, if you're serious about buying, don't forget to check out the <A HREF="http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/BuySell/used_nsx_checklist.htm">Used NSX checklist</A> and <A HREF="http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/Troubleshooting/Troubleshooting.htm">Troubleshooting FAQ</A> which will give you a better understanding of common NSX problems and what to look for when examining one that's up for sale.

M-THIS said:
Hi to all Aussies on this forum.

i am looking to get a new car. I never had the idea to get a used NSX cause i always thought they were way out of my league.
Most people have the same opinion on the NSX, it is a truly exotic supercar and looks so much better in the flesh than any photo!
M-THIS said:
But i had a look at the classifys and with the limited cars for sales i have noticed two price brackets for similar year/model NSX.

i assume these are for offical Aust. delivered NSX and the cheaper ones being private/grey imports. The cheaper price bracket is around the same price as some "common" cars i'm interested in :tongue:
I think all the other Aussies here have covered this one. Suffice to say that you generally get what you pay for... Unless your extremely lucky and know someone who either needs the cash or the garage space in a hurry!! It does happen sometimes but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for this to happen... So some of the other things to take into account are: mileage, accident history, factory log books, interior wear just to name a few.

M-THIS said:
Is it still possible to import nsx (from JAPAN)? and what kinda prices will i be looking at?
One thing to note about ANY Japanese imports... You will not have any history on the vehicle! You will not know if it is the same engine/gearbox, been totalled, if the mileage is correct or not. You have to take the word of the person selling the vehicle. If you buy and Australian delivered vehicle which has been maintained by the factory then you will know exactly what parts have been put into that car over its entire lifetime... Right down to how many oil filters it has had! You need a vehicle vin/chasis no. to get parts for the NSX from Honda Australia...

How much is this piece of mind worth to someone buying an exotic supercar with a $25,000-$30,000 engine re-build price or $45,000 for a new one and another $10,000 for the gearbox??

M-THIS said:
I dont know much about these great cars but am gaining more interest by the day :biggrin:

Thanks guys! :redface:
The more you research the NSX the more you will appreciate the level of engineering and quality that went to build this car has not been matched by any manufacturer even today!!

An NSX that is 14yrs old with 100,000K's on the clock will still be more powerful, handle better and last longer than a brand new S2000 which is $80,000 on road !

So.... What value would you put on a used NSX???

Spend some time researching the NSX here on Prime, then go and have a look at a few...

Good luck and welcome to Prime and hopefully see you on a drive with the club! :wink:

Thanks again for all your informative replys.

M-THIS said:
i assume these are for offical Aust. delivered NSX and the cheaper ones being private/grey imports.

So from what i gather, this assumption is incorrect. The prices i have been seeing is perhaps all for local delivered Nsx's just different level of care/ware/usage etc.

i only got this idea because one of the ad did explicitly say that it was a Aust. delivered car... and it did result in a higher premium.

M-THIS said:
Thanks again for all your informative replys.

So from what i gather, this assumption is incorrect. The prices i have been seeing is perhaps all for local delivered Nsx's just different level of care/ware/usage etc.

i only got this idea because one of the ad did explicitly say that it was a Aust. delivered car... and it did result in a higher premium.

There aren't that many private import NSX's in Australia because it never satisified the 15yr rule which has now been revoked anyway. So the car will not ever be available to be imported into this country by anyone who has not lived there and brought their own vehicle back with them. That been said there are some, I think 2-3 for sale australia wide are private Japanese imports.

However, a common misconception is that the NSX will be significantly cheaper if you import it from Japan. If you can, have a look on the internet at prices the NSX sells for in Japan. Personal experience shows that the purchase price in Japan plus shipping and Australian compliance actually costs the same as buying an Australian delivered vehicle if not more! The NSX is a rare and sought after car in Japan as well so they are maintaining their re-sale value, and good examples fetch a premium over there as well!

What is it that Meat Loaf said... "...There aint no coupe-de-ville hiding at the bottom of a cracker-jack box..." :biggrin:

The NSX is super-reliable in typical Honda fashion. But it is not a cheap car to repair. So I would not worry too much about the mileage unless it is excessive, you need to look for an impecable maintainance history though IMHO.

Good luck. :smile:

Mines a daily driver and there is no car better if you can afford the services. But it is great! even reasonable fuel economy for a daily.

Good luck with your search.

Ok M-This, try this site, I have been on their mailing list for over 2 years looking at cars they bring thru, from my observations most of their dealers buy their cars as many I get emailed on, within weeks arrive here in Brisbane at auto import car shops..for $5 - $7K more

http://www.prestigemotorsport.com.au/au/stock/details.asp?StockID=2867

this one is the first NSX I have seen in a long time come thru, and its been for sale since Jan 05..I think AU_NSX observation re price is right, on this one there is only a little saving compared to what is avail 'locally'...K's are low though...

My other thought here is this ones been sitting with them for a while and its price point is much higher than most other cars they sell by the boat load from their site ...the usual Skylines etc, ..... I was certainly very tempted but kept looking over here, and bought locally...not sure about buying offshore sight unseen..altho they will send you heaps of pics if you are interested... C what you think anyway..

David

Thanks for that David, that car does look good, esp the interior.

I have never bought a car unsighted, so i am not sure how good the idea is... but i'l consider it.

Thanks for the heads up.

M-THIS said:
Thanks for that David, that car does look good, esp the interior.

I have never bought a car unsighted, so i am not sure how good the idea is... but i'l consider it.

Thanks for the heads up.

M-THIS, That is an OLD advertisement. You will note that that car is still in Japan and they were HOPING to be able to bring it in under the 15yr rule in November when the car turns 15!

Since that add... The 15yr rule has been abolished. You can no longer import cars under the 15yr rule.

Therefore, that car will not be able to be imported into Australia.

au_nsx
that NSX they have put into their stock to sell, so it would have approval, as it was identrified pre the rule date, altho that would need to be reconfirmed, as it was submitted before the Feb cut off. Once purchased by someone from here, under the old rules the car couldn't be brought to Oz till Nov [because of its mfr date] so they offer a service to hold the vehicle till it can be shipped at buyers cost...
A long process I think, and regardless of best efforts anyone of the steps could go bad for whatever reason [from say now to Nov], particualrly now as the volume of cars being brought in is scaling down...thats why in the end i decided to buy local..and in my case i found a better car, in the colour I wanted, and also the year I wanted, yes I paid more than that price but the car was what i wanted and better [lower ks, colour etc]...and from my knowledge with personal imports the $s saved will catch up with you again if and when you decide to sell, ..I was also looking at high end BMWs which needed virtually no compliance work to bring in but because the imports would have a non-Aust plate, it affected values by at least $10K and more.

David

Back