• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Auto NSX's ??

so im looking to get an nsx in a year or 2, i have a friend who deals with alot of JDM cars and he told me that he could get me a JDM (right hand drive) NSX for a really good price, only set back is it would be auto. Im just wondering how the auto transmission would hold up to modifications?

it would be something simular to this:
http://www.tigerautoparts.com/jdm-vehicles/acura/jdm-honda-nsx-r-1992.html

Last edited:
whats the point
u can get lhd ones for close to that if u dont care about being a first year with higher mileage

The engine in the Autos is purposely "hobbled" to prevent too much HP getting to the torque converter and blowing it up real good - so if your "Mods" are cool wheels and wings and things its fine, if you're thinking turbo/supercharger learn to drive stick!

whats the point
u can get lhd ones for close to that if u dont care about being a first year with higher mileage

the one id be getting would be alot less then that 29 000$ one

The engine in the Autos is purposely "hobbled" to prevent too much HP getting to the torque converter and blowing it up real good - so if your "Mods" are cool wheels and wings and things its fine, if you're thinking turbo/supercharger learn to drive stick!

thanks alot, id want to do more engine mods then looks

Why would you do that?

A RHD nsx is essentially worthless here. When you cut corners to save dough, you almost always lose out in the end.

Just pay fair price for a nice nsx, drive it, and it will be worth about the same 2years later as when you bought it. Who wants to sit on the wrong side of the car? Lots of great NSXs for sale on this board even for reasonable prices.

Last edited:
Why would you do that?

A RHD nsx is essentially worthless here. When you cut corners to save dough, you almost always lose out in the end.

Just pay fair price for a nice nsx, drive it, and it will be worth about the same 2years later as when you bought it. Who wants to sit on the wrong side of the car? Lots of great NSXs for sale on this board even for reasonable prices.

thats the point i was trying to get across

In addition youre losing 20hp, plus you're only getting 4 speeds instead of 5. You're way behind in performance right out of the gate. Red is absolutely right.

Why would you do that?

I'd go one farther. By the time you RIV it, pay duties and taxes you're no further ahead at all. Buy a manual like Dave's or Daria's and it will be so easy, and worth it.

I'd go one farther. By the time you RIV it, pay duties and taxes you're no further ahead at all. Buy a manual like Dave's or Daria's and it will be so easy, and worth it.

not exactly, like i said i have a friend who would be able to get me the car for a fairly cheap price, he's had 4 JDM cars so far. The car being RHD isnt an issue for me as much as the automatic part, which is why i made the thread in the first place....to find out about the auto, But thanks for all the responses i still have alot of time before i become an official member just trying to do some research early.

As an owner of an RX7 and NSX I can say that I can't wait for the government to close that 15 year loophole and get rid of all these RHD pieces of junk. Either that or make sure that all the mods that aren't being done today - like changing the headlights, glass, etc. - are being done as they are supposed to. There is no good reason to allow a RHD car here that you can get in LHD.

Automatic nsxs have similar power performance, possibly even are slightly behind, s2000s

If theyre targa cars, an s2000 should out accelerate an auto NSC based upon power to weight

I wouldn't choose an auto NSX unless you really want one for non performance reasons. Still great cars though. Brad on this board has an amazing red 05 auto that won a high award at est fest this spring

not exactly, like i said i have a friend who would be able to get me the car for a fairly cheap price, he's had 4 JDM cars so far. The car being RHD isnt an issue for me as much as the automatic part, which is why i made the thread in the first place....to find out about the auto, But thanks for all the responses i still have alot of time before i become an official member just trying to do some research early.

How much can you get one for?

sooner or later the jdm craps gonna ruin nsxs image just like the other crap that comes through 300s, rx7, and supras etc only car that should be rhd is skyline. Get lhd dude...saves you tons of headaches not to mention better driving on left than right...and resale will stay pretty much the same with lhd...if u get rhd u pretty much set yourself for a big loss as you limit pretty much the majority of the buying market. Think it through buddy.

As an owner of an RX7 and NSX I can say that I can't wait for the government to close that 15 year loophole and get rid of all these RHD pieces of junk. Either that or make sure that all the mods that aren't being done today - like changing the headlights, glass, etc. - are being done as they are supposed to. There is no good reason to allow a RHD car here that you can get in LHD.

can u explain how u classify a car as a "piece of junk" based on the fact that its RHD lol? You drive Japanese cars yet you're trying to somehow downgrade a car that comes STRAIGHT from japan with all the Japanese specs.

sooner or later the jdm craps gonna ruin nsxs image just like the other crap that comes through 300s, rx7, and supras etc only car that should be rhd is skyline. Get lhd dude...saves you tons of headaches not to mention better driving on left than right...and resale will stay pretty much the same with lhd...if u get rhd u pretty much set yourself for a big loss as you limit pretty much the majority of the buying market. Think it through buddy.

sorry but im really not understanding you guys. It's as tho you're forgetting where NSX's come from, you're calling it "jdm crap" but its actually north americans that are driving modified versions of cars that are built in Japan. If anything skylines are the most played out fanboy cars right now, i doubt that type of fad following will happen with the NSX.

Im really not trying to argue, im simply asking questions to see all the options i would have in the future. As far as resale value, im not to worried about that, i plan to keep the car as long as possible, and considering that almost every car depreciates in value a "big loss" in value is not something thats at the top of my list.

How much can you get one for?

i cant give you a definite answer, i can only give you what my friend estimated he could get me and that was "low 20's". Also i wouldnt be getting this car for at least a year, im still in school and happy with my car i have now.

Im not at all a fan of the RHD cars that are driving around these days.

I think, but do not know, that when the word junk was used above, it was because:

Almost all of the RHD cars we see are complete junk. They are not maintained. They burn oil. Panels are messed up. I have yet to see a SINGLE well taken car of RHD car on the roads. Every one I have seen would be classified as junk under my definition; not strictly because they're RHD, but because, and I am speaking in generalizations that likely do not apply to you, the people who buy RHD cars do it because they're so inexpensive relative to the LHD counterpart. Those same people do not maintain the cars as they should be and the cars, even if they were great when they arrived, quickly turn to trash on wheels.

Low 20's would of course be an attractive price if:

That price includes:

RIV
GST
Duty
a car that has been well maintained with mileage of under 150,000km, with recent timing belt service, and a detailed service history, with no accidents etc.

Otherwise you can get one from the USA for around $25,000 and have a car that will be worth more when you go to sell it down the road.

Biobanker is right, you won't know what you're getting until it shows up in Canada, then what? You might be committed to a deal you don't like.

We are just suggesting to be careful. Quite a few people try to get the cheapest NSX they can. They always pay more in the long run.

If you want to import a JDM RHD get an NSX-R. LOTS of $$$$, but seriously cool.

Im not at all a fan of the RHD cars that are driving around these days.

I think, but do not know, that when the word junk was used above, it was because:

Almost all of the RHD cars we see are complete junk. They are not maintained. They burn oil. Panels are messed up. I have yet to see a SINGLE well taken car of RHD car on the roads. Every one I have seen would be classified as junk under my definition; not strictly because they're RHD, but because, and I am speaking in generalizations that likely do not apply to you, the people who buy RHD cars do it because they're so inexpensive relative to the LHD counterpart. Those same people do not maintain the cars as they should be and the cars, even if they were great when they arrived, quickly turn to trash on wheels.

lol that may be true, but im not talking about importing a 1991 honda accord rust bucket here, so whatever junk cars you guys are seeing really has almost no relevance to my thread besides the fact that the words "JDM" and "RHD" are being used. A car thats junk, is still junk no matter where it came from or what side the steering wheel is on

Low 20's would of course be an attractive price if:

That price includes:

RIV
GST
Duty
a car that has been well maintained with mileage of under 150,000km, with recent timing belt service, and a detailed service history, with no accidents etc.

Otherwise you can get one from the USA for around $25,000 and have a car that will be worth more when you go to sell it down the road.

Biobanker is right, you won't know what you're getting until it shows up in Canada, then what? You might be committed to a deal you don't like.

We are just suggesting to be careful. Quite a few people try to get the cheapest NSX they can. They always pay more in the long run.

If you want to import a JDM RHD get an NSX-R. LOTS of $$$$, but seriously cool.

thanks, im taking all of this into consideration, appreciate your input, that goes for everyone

Another issue with JDM cars:

Alberta is going to Ban them soon, the story is there's been a bunch of head-on crashes when a right hand drive vehicle was following a slow but large vehicle (like a truck) on a single lane highway.

The RHD vehicle has to pull out quite far for the driver to see clear ahead to see if there is room to pass - a few times that has resulted in head-ons and Alberta has legislation pending that will ban RHDs, if they do, its a matter of time before they get banned across the country.

I am biting my tongue here.

I have imported and owned the first Skyline GTR in Ontario (and #4 in Canada). I run the Canadian Skyline club. I have a lot of connection to the rhd jdm car community, even though I don't own one anymore.

I see a lot of ill-informed posts here and a lot of (frankly) unsubstantiated paranoid opinions.

If you want to get all the facts, post on 15years.ca or gtrcanada.com. There you'll get some better info. Not here.

For whatever reasons you're posting on the benefits of jdm cars, IMHO its not worth it unless you're importing something absolutely unobtainable here. Thats why the law exists...for collector cars, not cheap alternatives to domestic cars. I have a friend buying a mint condition Ruf Yellowbird from Tokyo that was impossible to find in Germany. Low milege (most people take public transport), no rust, better condition than any canadian car of the same year. Cars from Japan are like ones here..you get what you pay for. You want a cheap car, you'll get one. The fact its coming sight unseen will usually mean you run the risk of getting screwed. They know where these cars are going and if they are too good to be true, it usually is. I go to Japan annually and I can tell you nsx are keeping their value there. Caveat emptor. The cheapest place to buy an nsx is the US. Autos are going to be hard to sell regardless. RHD auto, will be even harder. Still, like they say in the automotive business, there's an ass for every seat :biggrin: NSX do not equal bargain car. Whatever you save buying jdm you'll pay elsewhere. But for all the bashing of jdm cars being junk, stop it, they are not. I see a lot of junk but they are being snapped up by teenagers who would have prob bought a $6K POS from a local lot if they didn't have the rhd choice. There are some cars coming in from japan that would absolutely amaze you.

BTW do not buy a modified car. Trust me on this. Get one thats all orig with shakken and documented milege, from Honda.

EDIT: picture whoring time!

My GTR: 1989, 62,400 kms at purchase, mild mods (intake, exhaust, ohlins coilovers, upgraded intercooler), dyno'd at 389 whp, zero rust, excellent car. Personally found by myself in person in Tokyo. Still miss this beast!
n690446223_652893_6340.jpg

n690446223_1517390_8708.jpg

n690446223_1517389_8403.jpg

...currently looking for a 1972 KPGC10 Skyline (aka Hakosuka).
2263498965_f3dde2c046.jpg

Amazing cars...

Last edited:
John - we are not saying JDM is junk. We are saying that most of the RHD JDM cars that are running around here are junk.

They very well may be amazing when they arrive, but ppl who buy them looking to save dough upfront, also appear to be looking to save dough maintaining them. And they're buying to worst of the pile to save even more dough.

I saw the WORST MR2 Turbo in all the world the other day. The guy driving on the right hand side probably didnt care that it was burnging more oil than gas.

Ppl importing nice cars do not apply to this generalization; but almost all of the people buying JDM stuff are buying crap JDM stuff because it is dirt cheap.

No worries Dave, and if you look at my comments you can see I completely agree with you and others. I am referring to comments by 604 and 951.

I wouldn't by a rhd jdm for the sake of saving money. I would just save for a nice lhd example that will be a keeper rather than a place holder. NSX should not be a compromise purchase.

My point is closing the 15 yr rule to keep out POS cars is a grossly overreaction to a minor problem. You shouldn't disallow collectors from buying great cars (there are great UK cars worth buying that are rhd...I would love a Lotus/Caterham 7). The guv should concentrate on teaching their "professionals" at the docks to not allow obviously unsafe and antisocial cars (cars that pollute, and not conform to minimal safety standards) on our roads and step up actions against shitty importers that bring in junk and illegal imports! I have seen R33 and R34 Skylines on the road in Canada that should have been caught at the docks. Its repulsive behaviour, and risks everything for those who follow the law and genuinely love these cars.

Last edited:
Back