• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Autolamps HID vs. RM HID

the RM kit uses Bosch hardware, which is the same found in Audis, BMW, and some Porsche. The Bosch hardware is more expensive than Phillips (which the Autolamps kit uses) however, I think RM's asking is overpriced.

I have the Bosch kit on my NSX, as I prefer the output color and intensity of the Bosch to Phillips. However, the installation of the Autolamps kit is much better than the kit RM sells. For example, the Autolamps kit fits under the end caps of the low beam, where the Bosch kit requires you to modify the end cap, as the bulb base is larger than stock. As far as I know, RM doesn't even include a modified end cap with their kit, leaving it open to the elements.

I don't know that much about HID, other than my first hand experience, and in all fairness have not seen the Autolamps in person. I look forward to comparing with John Doe at our next club event (he has the Autolamps).

I'll try to take some pictures of my kit soon. Charles... there is an NSXer that is at NorCal NSX events that has the Bosch kit. He is the one that designed the kit for RM. Private me, and I'll hook you guys up.

-- Chris

------------------
SoS_logo.gif

www.ScienceofSpeed.com - Click for more info
www.NSXClassifieds.com - The internet's only exclusive NSX Classified site!

[This message has been edited by ScienceofSpeed (edited 19 August 2001).]

Originally posted by ScienceofSpeed:

I have the Bosch kit on my NSX, as I prefer the output color and intensity of the Bosch to Phillips.

Chris,

I have noticed with much confusion that some cars with HID lighting look different than others. Some cars at a distance appear to have a bright blue lighting look to them. The lighted area in front of the car looks great however, with a slight blueish hue. Other cars like the S2K have a strong beam. At a distance the S2K looks like a star at night. There are different colors seen at different angles. The lighted area in front looks incredible though. Does anyone know what type or brand of HID is on the S2K? I am waiting a bit to get the HID from Autolamps (Philips) but if the discharge is better from RM..well, I wan't to know more about my options.

Thanx

Blade

The NSX is very tricky to develop an HID kit for, mainly because the retractable light housing creates problems (ie. crimped wires, etc.)

This is where the Autolamps kit appears to shine.

I'm trying to convince the person that developed the Bosch kit to make more, however, it's unlikely, as it is a difficult product to support.

-- Chris

------------------
SoS_logo.gif

www.ScienceofSpeed.com - Click for more info
www.NSXClassifieds.com - The internet's only exclusive NSX Classified site!

Gentlemen, I am posting this to answer some of the question regarding color etc... it is Very informative and NOT hear-say, that means it is factual and nothing less.

Bosch are a "set" maker as they are known in the industry. A "set" is basically a reflector and lens or light unit as it may be more commonly known. They DO NOT make light sources such as halogen or HID. 70% of the worlds HID OE market is supplied by Philips with the majority of the balance being supplied by Osram/Sylvania. Due to International homologation that covers in the HID case all countries worldwide, these lamps must be interchangeable so they cannot be too different from each other.

There are 2 reasons for different colour on any HID headlamp system:

1. The optics
2. The age of the HID lamp.

All discharge lamps have what is known as SDCM, where the burnback effects the colour temperature. Therefore the older the lamp the bluer it looks, especially a 1000 hour lamp against a new one.

Bosch do operate in the OE and aftermarket in certian countries. The OE business is worlwide and due to quality ALL Bosch OE business is with either Philips or Osram lamps, it changes with the flavour of the month. The aftermarket is not considered with the same demands, so they supply products bought on price. In this case the Bosch aftermarket HID kits are made in Korea. Reason being? Simply maximum profit.

Back