• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Autotrain or drive to NSXPO

I am considering taking the Amtrak Autotrain (Orlando to outside Washington DC) on October 12 for NSXPO.

I plan on taking a very low mileage TT NSX and don't want to rack up the miles, however I would love a Deals Gap, Blue Ridge, etc... run. In which case my higher mileage stock NSX will make the trip.

Is anyone from Florida going?

Train = approx 1600 miles less (Round trip)

Did you price the train yet? I might be in, but I don't think it's cheap. Works well for a family of 5 apparently though. I have a customer in DC who brings family to Disney that way, SUV loaded to the gills.

Maybe do it one way?

Train = approx 1600 miles less (Round trip)
Nope. You'll only save about half that much. By taking the Autotrain, you're trading a drive from Orlando to Cincinnati (900 miles) for a drive from Lorton VA to Cincinnati (500 miles). So you're only saving 400 miles each way, or 800 round trip. (1000 if the HQ is in Columbus rather than Cincinnati, which we don't know yet.)

Last edited:
I calculated from Miami, not Sanford. Oops! my mistake. It is my understanding from the NSXPO site that the event is in Columbus.
So the train is $600 round trip and saves 1126 miles (To be exact). Not a huge mileage discount, but I think it could be an interesting experience.

Either way, how many are planning on making the trip?
A well planned route with a group of the finest autos ever built would be a blast.
Atlanta, Deals Gap (The Dragon :), the Foothills parkway, etc..... Basically a fairly direct route that would run on some mind blowing twisties and glorious foliage colors!

Last edited:
Caravan

Typically we have a good contingent coming from Florida and it tends to be a great ride. I, for one, am looking forward to another trip like the one we made last year to North Carolina.

I calculated from Miami, not Sanford. Oops! my mistake. It is my understanding from the NSXPO site that the event is in Columbus.
So the train is $600 round trip and saves 1126 miles (To be exact). Not a huge mileage discount, but I think it could be an interesting experience.

Either way, how many are planning on making the trip?
A well planned route with a group of the finest autos ever built would be a blast.
Atlanta, Deals Gap (The Dragon :), the Foothills parkway, etc..... Basically a fairly direct route that would run on some mind blowing twisties and glorious foliage colors!

Man Steve, you sure know how to hurt a guy. I'd just about completely forgotten about the little 'conversation' we had with North Carolina's finest and there you go again...

Still the tail was a lot of fun.

Tail of the Dragon resized.jpg

IF he can keep up to us, right Ole wink wink

- - - Updated - - -

Cars 'sleeping' in South Carolina - 2013, before the caravan got big.

Parked in Savannah.jpg

And WE were the BEST LOOKING cars he EVER had to "talk" to.
Yes real good times!

as of now i believe i will be shipping my car west, and then shipping it back east.

I plan on taking a very low mileage TT NSX and don't want to rack up the miles

picturemakesmoresense.jpg

I'm having a difficult time trying to understand why someone would invest the money into a twin turbo installation yet prefer to let the car become a garage queen.

I am considering taking the Amtrak Autotrain (Orlando to outside Washington DC) on October 12 for NSXPO.................Is anyone from Florida going?

I am seriously thinking about taking the train, but on the 14th since I am not tracking the car. Besides wear and tear and mileage saving, if you drive all the way, adding into the mix 2-4 nights hotel, meals, additional gas, etc. for round trip, the cost is about $200 more than the train fare [+ ticket?]. Of course, the train is shitty in the twisties!

Hugh, this isn't Autobahn, this is Interstate which is boring as a sh*t, the worst way to drive. And what difference does a TT make at 90mph?

I'm with you, Hugh. I now have two and the non-turbo is the low mileage one as it should be.

I'm having a difficult time trying to understand why someone would invest the money into a twin turbo installation yet prefer to let the car become a garage queen.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm thinking you've never driven a TT at 90...

Hugh, this isn't Autobahn, this is Interstate which is boring as a sh*t, the worst way to drive. And what difference does a TT make at 90mph?

I would rather drive than let a car rot that has HP like that. is stupid you cant take it with you and your only keeping it nice an Virgin for the next owner to rip into it like a dog and a bone.

drive the car have fun its only a CAR not a door mat

I hate these threads I don't wanna put a mile on my car blah blah. if the car was a child, then this would be consider CHILD ABUSE locked away

Driving at 90 is the same whether the car has no turbos or 6 of them. It's getting to 90 and beyond that makes it all worthwhile.

What? You have a turbo for each cylinder? Man Chris must love working on your car!

I can't say I've ever driven at 90. Usually 90 is a moment in time when I'm headed north of that usually on the way to 110 - 140. No one drives (sits) at 90. Ergo (got love that word), it just isn't the same. (C'mon now Hugh, tell me that isn't so!) But then, just hearing the turbos spool up and the blow off valves whoshing off the extra pressure is a symphony in normal head downtown to work driving.

Last edited:
What? You have a turbo for each cylinder? Man Chris must love working on your car!

I can't say I've ever driven at 90. Usually 90 is a moment in time when I'm headed north of that usually on the way to 110 - 140. No one drives (sits) at 90. Ergo (got love that word), it just isn't the same. (C'mon now Hugh, tell me that isn't so!) But then, just hearing the turbos spool up and the blow off valves whoshing off the extra pressure is a symphony in normal head downtown to work driving.

No one drives at 90? So Ole, you drive on the highway, whenever possible, between 110 and 140? Seriously? Maybe we need a poll of real cruising speeds (not sudden blasts) amongst other owners - I guarantee you that you are the only one cruising at 110+mph every time all the time.

I just got back from Europe and it just emphasized how pointless owning an NSX (or any other high performance agile car) really is in some areas of the US, with no autobahn, zealous traffic cops, and no winding back roads to speak of. Two weeks in the UK, did about 400 miles of motorway, saw 3 cops total. And hardly saw any in towns at all. In contrast drove a people carrier Fiat 500L across country, 90 minutes each way, was really freaking tired at the end of it and had a blast as well, the country roads were so narrow and challenging.

- - - Updated - - -

I would rather drive than let a car rot that has HP like that. is stupid you cant take it with you and your only keeping it nice an Virgin for the next owner to rip into it like a dog and a bone.

drive the car have fun its only a CAR not a door mat

I hate these threads I don't wanna put a mile on my car blah blah. if the car was a child, then this would be consider CHILD ABUSE locked away

I'm kind of there for financial reasons (not to just keep the car 'special'). My 99 has 70k on it. If I use it for crappy errands, airport runs and stuff, miles will rack up, value and 'sellability' go down a lot above ~90k IMO. One of my purchase considerations was to be able to sell quickly with minimal $$ loss should I have to) Note I work from home or fly somewhere, so no daily commute.

I am thinking about selling it and buying a higher mileage (120k?) coupe instead so less concerns about depreciation, add a CTSC etc. and then drive as above. See my other post about European roads. Or rather non coastal Florida roads... ;o)

The thought of 1800 miles of freeway kills me - that is the COMPLETE opposite of what I want to do with my car - that is why I have a 540i for that kind of use.

Ole, didn't know you bought another one - what did you get?

2 cents.

- - - Updated - - -

Hah, forgot why I came back to this thread!

Autotrain looks to be $346 one way, maybe with $15 or so AAA discount

BUT, and maybe a big BUT for some of us, minimum ground clearance of 4".

If you guys are still considering this, let's coordinate with some of the other DC-area NSXs. There is a small contingent of us that plan on caravaning to NSXPO; the route will undoubtedly include some great drives through Shenandoah/West Virginia.

If you guys are still considering this, let's coordinate with some of the other DC-area NSXs. There is a small contingent of us that plan on caravaning to NSXPO; the route will undoubtedly include some great drives through Shenandoah/West Virginia.

Will that be good timing for fall colors? I used to live in DC but don't remember exactly when it peaked. Weekends will be horrible for that though....so would need to be midweek.

It changes every year, but usually late October/early November is a good time to plan around. Shenandoah is far enough west/slightly more elevation that they get deep colors about a week/week-and-a-half before DC does.

That made me laugh :) I have a ball in my NA NSX, and honestly don't enjoy the turbo car as much. Different strokes for different folks.
The engine is coming out of the turbo car for pistons and I am building a new TT system from scratch, that is the fun part :)

3 weeks ago in the NA, tell me this would be any more fun in a turbo car?
http://youtu.be/cwtRUuWDVvs

No one drives at 90? So Ole, you drive on the highway, whenever possible, between 110 and 140? Seriously? Maybe we need a poll of real cruising speeds (not sudden blasts) amongst other owners - I guarantee you that you are the only one cruising at 110+mph every time all the time.

Andre, Andre, Andre... I never said I cruise at 110, only that I almost never drive 90. My normal cruising speed is 78 on 70mph roads and, as Steve will tell you, 70 on 55mph roads (when I'm following his completely aware of his surroundings lead!)

I just got back from Europe and it just emphasized how pointless owning an NSX (or any other high performance agile car) really is in some areas of the US, with no autobahn, zealous traffic cops, and no winding back roads to speak of. Two weeks in the UK, did about 400 miles of motorway, saw 3 cops total. And hardly saw any in towns at all. In contrast drove a people carrier Fiat 500L across country, 90 minutes each way, was really freaking tired at the end of it and had a blast as well, the country roads were so narrow and challenging.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm kind of there for financial reasons (not to just keep the car 'special'). My 99 has 70k on it. If I use it for crappy errands, airport runs and stuff, miles will rack up, value and 'sellability' go down a lot above ~90k IMO. One of my purchase considerations was to be able to sell quickly with minimal $$ loss should I have to) Note I work from home or fly somewhere, so no daily commute.

I am thinking about selling it and buying a higher mileage (120k?) coupe instead so less concerns about depreciation, add a CTSC etc. and then drive as above. See my other post about European roads. Or rather non coastal Florida roads... ;o)

The thought of 1800 miles of freeway kills me - that is the COMPLETE opposite of what I want to do with my car - that is why I have a 540i for that kind of use.

Ole, didn't know you bought another one - what did you get?

Yep, bought another one - 95 Formula Red with Black interior, Pioneer Navigation/CD player, Enkei Wheels, and SOS exhaust (Nice growly noise), but only 270 HP. I'll be putting it up for sale in a day or three. Heck, you could be the new owner of a low mileage (46,000) second car!.

2 cents.

- - - Updated - - -

Hah, forgot why I came back to this thread!

Autotrain looks to be $346 one way, maybe with $15 or so AAA discount

Um, this is saying my message isn't even 3 letters???

Last edited:

OK, I'll tell you. That would have been more fun in a turbo. :)

- - - Updated - - -

Charlotte is lowered about 1.25" from stock and the front OEM lip always gets a little attention when they check ground clearance but I've never been refused passage. I just tell them it's rubber and is designed to bend a little. If you car is lowered and has an aftermarket rigid lower front lip it might not make it. Although chances are if you bought an aftermarket rigid front lip for you car, chances are it got destroyed in the first week or two of driving. :) Ask me how I know this!

That made me laugh :) I have a ball in my NA NSX, and honestly don't enjoy the turbo car as much. Different strokes for different folks.
The engine is coming out of the turbo car for pistons and I am building a new TT system from scratch, that is the fun part :)

Hugh got it right, so no need for me to tell you... it would have been more fun in a turbo car. (Dang, I did it anyway didn't I?) Oh well, just driving to the office those days that I do go in, is more fun in my turbo Vs the NA.

Back