• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Autowave Inc. Turbo kit Pics

Here are some pictures of our kit on the car. This car made made 566whp on 12.5psi and hit full boost at 4300 rpm. It utilizes a gt4094r Garret Turbocharger.
Tell us what you guys think.

There are some more pics of the system installed on the motor out of the car so that you guys can get a better look at it go to post #36

here is the link to are first tread it has a lot of pictures of the individual components and jigs
turbohttp://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99856&highlight=autowave

Last edited:
I appreciate how all the hot side parts including the exhaust manifolds are custom built to the kit. On the cold side though, I wish that components like the aftercooler could have been better integrated to the car. It looks very "aftermarket" sitting on top of the engine bay like this. Would there be a way to place it under the car like how has been done on other systems?

I like your header, the best I've seen so far. The long tube design is more efficient for the Turbo from what I heard.

I like your header, the best I've seen so far. The long tube design is more efficient for the Turbo from what I heard.

Long tube makes power on N/A too but (maybe the poor pics) looks like they are not equal length?

They do not look equal length and are those not low hp numbers for 12.5psi?

Well it all depends on turbo size.. but we made 584whp on 13.5(extremely conservative tune)on a 67mm, so it looks about right.

Couple of questions:

1. Price for kit w/install & tune?
2. Estimated safe HP/TQ numbers on stock motor with 91 octane?
3. Tunable with AEM FIC or Full AEM EMS?

The manifolds are equal length going to the turbo I think you guys might be looking at the waste gate tubing the pictures are a little misleading. Here is a link to the kit assembled off the car so that you can get a better look.
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=39596&d=1201118726

As for the power it still has a lot left in it. I kept the tune very conservative because we were tuning on 91 octane. Wish I was back east, those two points would make a difference.

Tuning wise the kit can be tuned with anything you want AEM, Motec, FIC, Autronic, hydra, Electromotive, etc. What ever you want. We are simply going to be supplying a turbo kit and the tuning method is up to the customer on what he would like to use. Myself, I prefer AEM EMS but it is what your tuner is most comfortable with.

This is by far not a budget turbo kit and we did not want to build one to be. We set out to build the very best kit we possibly could. We chose the best of the best "Coast fabrication" to handle this task. This shop is widely known in the Indy racing league and sprint car world. Their customers include Mclaren racing Ltd, Cosworth Racing Ltd., Penske Racing, Chip Ganassi Racing teams just to name a few. This shop used to build stuff for Comptech back in the day when they were heavily involved in racing. Everything in this kit is the best of the best. The material cost alone between 304 stainless to 321 stainless is about 6 times the cost. This kit was built for the customer who demands the best of the best. Every piece is a custom mandrel bent tube that is kit specific. We did not take a bunch of U bends and cut them up to make a kit. We took the time to have each piece custom bent to make the kit. What this does for you is makes the turbo manifolds a lot stronger because you do not have a weld every 3 inches.
The kit is built from the cylinder heads back, we do not use any existing stock exhaust pieces.

As for price, please call.... the first couple kits will be at a discounted price.

As for power I have always felt comfortable around the low 400s range on the stock engine. This is why we have made our kit with dual Tial 44mm waste gates to allow us precise boost control for the customer who has to keep the boost low enough for the stock engine. If more power is wanted I would recommend putting a set of forged pistons in the motor.

This kit is awesome. It has very smooth power delivery and the exhaust note is very low profile. Some have said it sounds like a Comptech muffler which is very quiet. What does that do for you? It gives you a quiet car that hauls some major butt perfect for those tracks with noise restrictions.

Last edited:
I have seen the kit in person and it's definitely more impressive in person than in pics. As most of you know/experienced, Autowave doesn't half *ss their work so only expect the best.

Jeff

That's a fact...

I have seen the kit in person and it's definitely more impressive in person than in pics. As most of you know/experienced, Autowave doesn't half *ss their work so only expect the best.
Jeff

I've always heard great things about Autowave, and everyone always likes to see more forced induction choices for the NSX. 500+ hp on 12.5 psi are great numbers. What does the torque curve look like?

But I have to ask, if cost was no object, what is up with the bailing wire holding the hose in place on the rear beam??? It stands out like a sore thumb? First thing I noticed in the pics

I need to find a nice stainless strap for that. Trust me its not bailing wire its stainless safety wire we use on things. I didn't want to use any zip ties due to the high heat in that area. Now that I look at the pictures it does stand out like a sore thumb. One of those last minute things before we hit the dyno:biggrin:

Well, I'm thinking I might just have to give it a shot :) :) :)

Looking forward to seeing you guys in a couple more weeks for my install...

[QUOTE=dynomike; Tell us what you guys think.

I saw the car in person yesterday and can say very clean and impressive. My only dislike was that the single exhaust in the back that made it look funny and the place of the intercooler where it was mounted. I like more of a stealthy look. All of the Turbo kits I have seen has used a generic looking exhaust. I wish there was like a gruppe m, gtrom, or a GTLW exhaust that can work with a Turbo system.

But good job guys very nice set up and I am sure the car is a blast to drive!
That car hides everything well especially with the rear window beng tinted.
I hope there will be some videos of it soon so I can see how mean it sounds. :biggrin:

I also saw the system yesterday, it looks like a well thought-out design with quality components and fabrication behind it, another excellent option for those looking to add F/I to their nsx.

As far as using an aftermarket nsx muffler with a turbo... a quality welder and a sawzall, and you could install pretty much anything ;)

A phase or gruppe M muffler would be a straight forward retrofit, as these use a y-pipe to a single inlet already, it might be inefficient, depending on how the system is being routed, but certainly do-able. The main point of these single outlet, or different configuration mufflers, is to route the exhaust gas out of the car in whatever solution fits, is decent quality, and flows well.

I know John....I am just picky when it comes to the car......I would like everything to look good too. :biggrin:

To me its looks cheesy with the single exhaust looking that like especially with no tip. If I am spending that much money on a Turbo system I would expect everything from the exhuast to come out looking good too.

Again I am not bashing the kit by any means....I think it is awesome that there is another choice for FI for us. :smile:

But since you mention that a Gruppe M version 3 muffler would work as well then or Phase then thats awesome. Maybe it will add a wicked sound to it too?

I heard the Gruppe M's SC NSX when he had the ver 2 on there and it sounded awesome!

By the way good to see you again John....you have to take me for a spin sometime. ;)

I have to agree with you Eddie...
If nothing else, a single center exhaust would look better to the eye.
Just seems to be out of balance with only one on one side.

Last edited:
Thanks Jim, you know where I am coming from :smile: .......I just don't know why someone hasn't thought about making a nice muffler for a turbo system.(Not talking about Autowave or anyone in particular just in general).
It doesn't have to be expensive like GTROM or Gruppe M....but at least like the GTLW quality and looks.

You can tell the quality and difference between a Ultraflow,flowmaster muffler and a GTLW or Gruppe M or GTROM muffler.

Sorry I don't mean to offend the guys who bought Ultraflow or Flowmaster....this is just my personal opinion. So don't get your panties all in a bunch. :wink:

Basically I don't want to put anything that looks like crap on the NSX.

As I stated Kudos to Autowave for making a nice system....keep up the good work. I would end up chopping up my GTLW muffer just to keep it if I had to.

I originally wanted to go with a dual tip exhaust but it was going to hinder the lay out of everything, and it simply became function over fashion at that point. As for the tip on the exhaust we felt keeping it low profile was the best option as we were going for the stealth look more than anything. That is an easy fix and will be left up to what the customer wants. This customer wanted to keep the tip low profile so we kept it just 321 stainless 3.5inch tubing

We got to do a fly by at the south coast meet for the guys on Thursday and I think my dad is still scraping the sh-t of his leg today:biggrin:

Thanks Jim, you know where I am coming from :smile: .......I just don't know why someone hasn't thought about making a nice muffler for a turbo system.(Not talking about Autowave or anyone in particular just in general).
It doesn't have to be expensive like GTROM or Gruppe M....but at least like the GTLW quality and looks.

You can tell the quality and difference between a Ultraflow,flowmaster muffler and a GTLW or Gruppe M or GTROM muffler.

Sorry I don't mean to offend the guys who bought Ultraflow or Flowmaster....this is just my personal opinion. So don't get your panties all in a bunch. :wink:

Basically I don't want to put anything that looks like crap on the NSX.

As I stated Kudos to Autowave for making a nice system....keep up the good work. I would end up chopping up my GTLW muffer just to keep it if I had to.
On our kit we used a Burns stainless muffler that weighs 3.5 pounds a very nice piece no flow master or magnaflow here. The muffler is packed with a metal shaving packing, no fiberglass, you never have to worry about repacking it.

My thoughts exactly Eddie....all of them :smile:

I sent an e-mail to Mike and Shane asking them if it could be modified to at least a center type exhaust. I would prefer it over one on one side only since my install is coming up.
I keep seeing this mental picture of a Turbo'd Toyota Supra with that big A** muffler tip sticking out the back on one side when I think about this exhaust layout :frown:
I completely understand function vs. form which is why I'm going with Autowave's turbo system, but things like this drive me nuts as well.
But it's not going to change my mind from going with their system :wink:

It's ashame there isn't another option.

Last edited:
To funny.....
Take it easy on the old man Mike...we want to keep him around...

Back