• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Autoweek - HSC, Best in Show Award

Autoweek gave the HSC, Honda Sports Concept, Best in Show at the Tokyo Motor Show.

Lots of pictures, some different angles.

http://www.autoweek.com/specials/2003_tokyo/editors/index.mv

"AUTOWEEK BEST IN SHOW: What's not to like about this very thinly disguised forebear of the second-generation Acura NSX, the Honda supercar for everyday driving that's been with us in its present form for more than a decade? In the Honda Sports Concept (dubbed a Honda only because Acura isn't a brand in the company's home market) we get a total makeover of this Japanese-style Ferrari 360 Modena. Its aluminum frame and aluminum and carbon fiber body panels get even lighter and its angular dimensions get a touch tighter, while its drivetrain gets even better than today's still-special NSX. HSC retains the balanced midship V6 engine layout, but boosts output to more than 300 hp and links the engine to the wheels via a paddle-shifted transmission. We hope Honda cleans up the rear end before production by smoothing some of the lower aero packaging and dispensing with the bug-eyed tail lamps, but we can't help smiling knowing that Honda's concept-to-production timeline is traditionally one of the fastest in the business. With any luck, this Best of Show winner will ignite an all-out supercar war among the Japanese makers when it debuts sometime next year."

The more I look at the car, the more I think the car will be around $60k. It is significantly shorter, lighter, and a little more powerful than the current NSX. I figure a 0-60 times at mid 4s and a top speed of just under 180mph. I think it will be a huge seller and will steal many Boxster, 911, Vette, or even the S2000 buyers. The marketing targets are going to be much wider. I don't think Honda wants to lose money on this car like it did with our awesome NSXs. I hate to see my NSX going under in terms of resale, but I am truly excited to see Honda succeed in the sport car segment again.
Steve

NoSeX4U said:
How can Honda(Acura) offer all that at@ $60 000? And not lose money?:rolleyes:
Is your :rolleyes: referring to the price or you don't think Honda will sell enough units to make a profit?
Take a look at the Lexus SC430 which probably costs more to produce than the HSC. The basic Porsche 911 is also priced around sixty something thousand. Now if the HSC indeed only has a V6 with mere 300ps, then its target cannot be the Ferrari's buyers. If you look at the rest of the sport cars market, the highly competent 350z is only thirty-something and Nissan is clearly selling them and making profit, same holds true for Corvette, and S2000. The key is sale volume and lower cost of production by sharing components such as the V6 and electronics. You know the Honda V6 is EVERYWHERE in their line-up in various forms. Bottomline is, Honda will not be able to sell many 300ps V6 HSC at 80k, much less 100k, while all major players in that field are between $35k to $50k.
Also, you mentioned "Honda offers all that." All that what? You mean the TL's V6, and the superior everyday Honda's quality? If that's what you mean, you can get it much cheaper in an Accord.
:rolleyes:
Steve
PS. My $60k is not in Canadian dollars if that's threw you off. :rolleyes:

I think what Steve mentions is absolutely possible (and by complete coincidence posted a couple similar observations and $60K price somewhere in the big HSC thread). How many times have we discussed how increase production volume would make the car more affordable (and yet more profitable)?

The HSC appears to be less revolutionary/exotic than the NSX was back in 1990. Back then, there was only one other V6-powered Honda/Acura vehicle for sale in the US. Now, look at how many Honda/Acura vehicles have V6s. I see no reason why the HSC could not be profitable at $50K-$60K, if they can sell around 5000 units per year. At that price, sales of 5000 units should be easily attainable.

Of course, if the HSC does make it into production, I'd like to see it as new addition to the line-up, not an NSX-replacement. :)

OK, if we agtree that the innovations are less profound than the original offering AND the goal is to produce more volume, then I can begin to see what you're driving at. I thought they were gonna on more exotic materiels (kevlar, carbon-fibre etc.) and the 350hp engine. I mean, those things add up $$$-wise.

NoSeX4U said:
OK, if we agtree that the innovations are less profound than the original offering AND the goal is to produce more volume, then I can begin to see what you're driving at. I thought they were gonna on more exotic materiels (kevlar, carbon-fibre etc.) and the 350hp engine. I mean, those things add up $$$-wise.

If the HSC has a carbon chasi and a F1 6 speed it will be more than 60k IMO. I hope the HSC is not the next nsx, hsc does not look timeless.

Back