• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Bad ignition switch? Fix it!

Finally got fed up with wiggling my key around every time I want to start the NSX, so I'm going to try this on my ignition switch tonight. The only part I'm confused about is where to apply dielectric grease. Is this applied directly to the metal contacts in little dabs? Do I just pack the whole thing with grease? Clearly the first time I've ever had to do this :frown:

Also, is dielectric grease the same as can be purchased in little packets from AutoZone/Pep Boys? I was given some when I purchased my battery but I'm not sure if this is the same or if I can just use any silicone grease I've got laying around the house.

Update to this: the DIY is very informative and made this an easy repair/maintenance item. The hardest part really is just getting yourself upside-down and contorted under the dash. I had no clue where to apply grease, so I simply didn't. This is easy enough to get at that I could go back in and re-clean the switch, ideally also applying grease the next time around.

Take your ignition key off of any key ring, then try the right turn. The weight of things on the key ring can jiggle the switch. You could go totally crazy and once the car is running duct-tape the key into position so there's no chance of jiggling the switch.

A right turn problem could be any electrical issue - from a bad motor mount causing the engine to shift and pull on wiring/connectors, or a suspension issue and wheel speed sensor getting disturbed.

Aren't chasing down problems like this fun? NOT!

Frank, your post was invaluable, I just had to clean out my switch.
What a pain... but now it's back to starting up like normal!

Just bought one at nearby Acura dealer to keep as a spare... number on part ended up being 35130-SLO-003.

Last edited:
Clumsy me, I was cleaning the switch and contact and accidentally drop the the contact and spring, I can't figure out how the spring goes in and the position of contact sit so it would all align up when keys is inserted, I tried different ways but unable to make it line up. Anyone has a spare one they can post pic. As to how the spring and contacts plate sits?

Thank you Old Guy, I saw that pic. But underneath the 2 slider I'm not sure how the spring load in. I will play with it some more to figure the arrangement of the contacts

Mine has been replaced once and cleaned. I suspect we are treating a symptom of too much current needed to get the starter going (pull the starter plunger in). I have added a interposing relay so the start switch now drives the coil of a high impendance relay which when closed then applies power to the starter plunger. When I measured the current, if memory serves it was I think 20 or 30 amps. I believe that is why we have pitting occur in our ignition switches and so many of use having to replace or clean them. Adding the relay drops the current in that circut. Placing the relay near the starter drops the line losses and end result is a car that starts every time and will start with a low battery voltage too.

That's a lot of french for me... but I wonder why they had the starter run on that much current in the first place. I am sure there must be some sort of functional aspect of it.

I hope to clean mine soon to resolve my starting issues as well. I was wondering where you're supposed to put dielectric grease after cleaning the contacts?

Back