• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Battery charging without my battery tender.

So I have a battery tender hooked to my NSX for well over a decade, however it is currently being stored away from my setup. I brought with me a decent charger from Schumacher that is 5amp., as my battery is dead. Do I really need to take out the battery or can I hook the charger up directly to the terminals?

So I have a battery tender hooked to my NSX for well over a decade, however it is currently being stored away from my setup. I brought with me a decent charger from Schumacher that is 5amp., as my battery is dead. Do I really need to take out the battery or can I hook the charger up directly to the terminals?
Follow up, if I do disconnect the battery and take it out to charge it, will I have to put in a code for the stereo?

Follow up, if I do disconnect the battery and take it out to charge it, will I have to put in a code for the stereo?
Yes because it will erase all of the saved memory settings. It's like pulling the clock fuse. The alarm may also sound if you re-connect the battery, assuming you are using the factory security system.

That Schumacher battery “tender” is more of a charger. I have one as well. I also have many Ctek battery maintainers.
The Schumacher will eventually kill your battery. It is like 1 drop of water at a time…Eventually the pail or bathtub will over flow. Very little intelligent.

You do not need to disconnect the battery from the car to charge it. However, if it does not have an explicit maintainer function then I would not leave it permanently connected to the battery. Without knowing the model and vintage of your charger it is not possible to advise on its suitability as a battery maintainer.

If it is only a charger and you are not using the car semi regularly, do not use the charger for battery maintenance. If the car is going to be parked for a several of weeks then disconnect the negative battery clamp instead to prevent discharge. However, if you ran your battery absolutely flat, chance are the battery is now on deaths door step. With a parts store OEM sized AGM battery, I can disconnect my battery all winter or park my car for 2+ weeks leaving the battery connected and have no problem starting it

Back