• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

BBS LM Style wheels installed!

Hi Phryxis,

After seeing photos of your white NSX-R and your last post..now I'm so confused :confused:

Are those nsx-r parts actually replicas??:confused:
IMG0464-X2.jpg

You have me confused with another member :)

This is my NSX, actually just got it 2 months ago and have been loving it.

7113155139_6ba3ec2f6b_b.jpg

And since I'm sharing cars, my Prelude (Friend's Type R too), which I've built for 12 years.

6845429981_b1124bbf6e_b.jpg

I was at the drive last Sunday and really enjoyed your car, I'm sure we met (I tried to meet everybody). I think it's very well executed, and looks great!

I am no nsx/nsx-R expert but I can tell you the the NSX-R spoiler does not have a sticker on the side that says NSX-R

Zaid

Hi Phryxis,

After seeing photos of your white NSX-R and your last post..now I'm so confused :confused:

Are those nsx-r parts actually replicas??:confused:
IMG0464-X2.jpg

People who buy NSX-R replica parts vs. replica wheels is not a fair comparison. Maybe this is hypocritical on my part, but I look at NSX parts as barely attainable. I could care less about the pricing. Are people buying DF spoilers, etc. because they can't afford the real thing? I purchased my DF spoiler/diffuser simply because I couldn't find the originals and a lack of knowledge when I first purchased my NSX. Secondly, these parts were made by Honda themselves and I don't even know if the parts are in production.

Now wheels and other parts created by the aftermarket industry is a completely different animal. I personally want to support these companies. We're talking about companies that are relatively small, yet they produce quality parts and innovative designs. The fake companies are out there because they know that they can produce a product based on demand with little quality control. In the long run, they kill the aftermarket industry. At the end of the day, do what you want. I don't think anyone is going to convince anyone to do anything different on this thread. I'll support the legit aftermarket companies and take pride in that.

Last edited:
I have no beef with replica's. I wouldn't mind to have a set of ESM's. But I would NEVER run BBS center caps on them. Some say they use them cause it makes them FEEL good? Majority of the people I encounter think my car is a Ferrari, but i'm not going to but a prancing horse on my car to make me FEEL good. :tongue:

FAKIN' THE FUNK :biggrin:

I have no beef with replica's. I wouldn't mind to have a set of ESM's. But I would NEVER run BBS center caps on them. Some say they use them cause it makes them FEEL good? Majority of the people I encounter think my car is a Ferrari, but i'm not going to but a prancing horse on my car to make me FEEL good. :tongue:

FAKIN' THE FUNK :biggrin:

Good to clarify Fakin' the funk. :biggrin: Rocking replica wheels is not fakin' the funk... but rocking replica wheels with BBS centercaps, volk stickers IS fakin' the funk. Alot of ppl are proud of their replica parts, but they don't feel the need to pretend they are the real thing.

How about NSX-R stickers on parts that are not "real" NSX-R parts? I personally wouldn't put an NSX-R sticker on my downforce spoiler, but that's not the same type of fakin the funk IMO. Even if you have plenty of NSX-R parts, your car is still NOT an NSX-R. People who rock NSX-R stickers are going for the NSX-R look, not trying to misrepresent a spoiler, hood, etc. IMO. I look at it as the same as those who go with Honda badges instead of Acura, etc.

ok, whose gonna buy the 02 replicas wheels and put honda or acura caps on em i bet 90% :wink:

I have Rep NSX-R Wheels going on my car this weekend and I will do either A or H on the center caps.

DEFINITELY FAKIN THE FUNK :eek:

I put an H badge on my Acura. I'm just all messed up now... Maybe I should have put an Prancing Horse instead then I'd really be fakin' the funk!

Note: So are all Acuras fakin' the Honda funk??? hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm lol

When I get my Rotas i'm going to pay like $100 per wheel to get Advan engraved on them :biggrin::wink::tongue:

Last edited:
I have seen junk wheels crack in half. To put wheels that cost $150 each on an Nsx I just don't get. Every time I go to a meet with other Nsx I'm so glad I spent the extra $$ on my DF wing because the difference is night and day in every aspect. I love LM'S but no way would I run those on my car and trust me people who know wheels when they see the fake center caps will know

I don't think anyone is going to convince anyone to do anything different on this thread.

I don't agree. I've spent a lot of time on forums, and as long as you can give well thought out explanations as to why knockoffs are bad and bad for the industry, some people will change their minds. I mean, back in the day, I had a replica Mugen wing on my Prelude, and it wasn't until I got genuine Mugen side skirts that I realized how much better real stuff is. So, thoughts do change.

The people actively posting in this thread might not change their minds, but for every active poster, there are 30 quiet lurkers. If I can change the mind of even 1 person, then it is a good thing.

^^^
Hey, that's my NSX.:wink:. Phryxis, I love your prelude! So nice!

Thank you!

It's been a slow evolution over 12 years to get it to where it stands now. I've been able to collect some of the rarest parts for the car, including the front and rear bumpers, of which I am the only one in the US that has both.

I am applying my same philosophy of slow modding with quality parts to my NSX. It's not that impressive right now, but in 6 years I'd reckon it'll be a very nicely built car.

But the real NSX-R Spoiler doesn't even have stickers (I think they were only the NSX-R concept).

I smell some funk faking going on here... and I don't like it. :biggrin:

2871558292_9e2725f755_o.jpg

nsxr_05.jpg

^^^
I am no expert but I wonder what the sticker say on that spoiler?:wink:
typer-atshow2.jpg

acura_nsx_type-r2.jpg

I am no expert, but there's definitely some funk faking going on!!

I have seen junk wheels crack in half. To put wheels that cost $150 each on an Nsx I just don't get.

Huh? I have seen "excellent" wheels crack in half. Did you not see the picture of the REAL BBS picture I posted? If you read the thread that I linked to, you'll find out that all those running REAL BBS wheels need to buy extra centers because they CRACK!!!!

Real interesting read, and I invite you to go through it...
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-autocross-track-racing/548346-wtb-bbs-6015-centers-x-2-a.html

Every time I go to a meet with other Nsx I'm so glad I spent the extra $$ on my DF wing because the difference is night and day in every aspect.

:confused: Did I just read that correctly? Are you saying that your DF "Replica" Type-R wing is better than the real deal? :confused::confused:

I love LM'S but no way would I run those on my car and trust me people who know wheels when they see the fake center caps will know

The center cap is not what gives it away. It's the "BBS", "JWL" & "VIA" stamps in the spokes.

REAL BBS
Wheel304_BBS_LM_Forged_Gold_17X8_17X9_NSX_S2000_4.jpg

FAKE (no stamps):
DSCN0242.jpg

LM_silver_rear_front.jpg

Last edited:
Huh? I have seen "excellent" wheels crack in half. Did you not see the picture of the REAL BBS picture I posted? If you read the thread that I linked to, you'll find out that all those running REAL BBS wheels need to buy extra centers because they CRACK!!!!

Real interesting read, and I invite you to go through it...
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-autocross-track-racing/548346-wtb-bbs-6015-centers-x-2-a.html

The thing is, those BBS wheels are magnesium centers, and magnesium exhibits some interesting and unfavorable properties as it ages and is subjected to high stresses. Also, magnesium corrodes, especially in humid air, and since that guy is in VA, the wheel was subject to an environment that's highly unfavorable for it. Besides, those wheels are used in a motorsports environment where wheels SHOULD be treated as expendable items.

Anybody can find photos of broken wheels, legit or not legit, because wheels break. Unfortunately, what you don't know is the backstory on those broken wheels. I'll bet you money though that legit forged aluminum wheels are much more trustworthy than their cast replica counterparts.

Anybody can find photos of broken wheels, legit or not legit, because wheels break. Unfortunately, what you don't know is the backstory on those broken wheels. I'll bet you money though that legit forged aluminum wheels are much more trustworthy than their cast replica counterparts.

Can't disagree with you there one bit!

One thing I can say though, is that 99% of all wheels on the streets are cast.

My NSX track wheels have been cast... they're cheap, durable (and expendable). And so are those Enkei RPF1s.. :smile:

Can't disagree with you there one bit!

One thing I can say though, is that 99% of all wheels on the streets are cast.

My NSX track wheels have been cast... they're cheap, durable (and expendable). And so are those Enkei RPF1s.. :smile:

Yeah I'm certainly aware that RPF1s are cast, but I'm also willing to bet Enkei's Japanese factory holds a higher quality standard than the replica wheel manufacturers based in China or the Philippines.

There's A LOT that goes into making a wheel, from metal quality, to manufacturing process, to paint quality. For a $100 wheel, you definitely get what you pay for.

Last edited:
There's A LOT that goes into making a wheel, from metal quality, to manufacturing process, to paint quality. For a $100 wheel, you definitely get what you pay for.

I would have to humbly disagree with that statement.

I used the XXR 522s as my track wheels and they have the same JWL and VIA certifications.Cost for the set for 17/18 was $480 shipped to my door.

I've had tons of wheels in my life from fully forged to cast and can tell you that the price you pay has no direct correlation to quality. :smile:

I would have to humbly disagree with that statement.

I used the XXR 522s as my track wheels and they have the same JWL and VIA certifications.Cost for the set for 17/18 was $480 shipped to my door.

I've had tons of wheels in my life from fully forged to cast and can tell you that the price you pay has no direct correlation to quality. :smile:

I agree that price isn't totally indicative of quality. I mean, HRE wheels, while nice, are definitely marked up for baller status pricing.

I'm mostly comparing legit wheels such as Rays or BBS to their replica counterparts in terms of the quality achieved.

I'm sure you've all seen these videos, but they're worth watching again.

How Rays wheels are made:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zK51zz7jwNE

BBS manufacturing and technology:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qq1YyzWS5bw

This may be getting a bit off track but here's my 2 cents. Personally I would get wheels that are lighter than the OE wheels or at the very least very close in total weight. Improving the look shouldn't be a downgrade in performance but let's face it not everyone has the budget or the patience to wait to save up to buy the "real" thing. However i think most of us know that the manufacturing process and material used on replica wheels will usually make them heavier (downgrade) not to mention the fact that buying replicas hurt the aftermarket industry and that is an undeniable fact. But the comparison here is very similar to the prescription drug industry....except not as regulated. Maybe that's what needs to happen is some more regulation like a minimum time that replica manufacturers have to wait before even attempting to duplicate the IP of another organization in the industry. I understand that they can't make an exact replica as in 100% replica but maybe the variance should be greater than what it's regulated to be as it stands now. Given the opportunity there will always be people that will gravitate towards the cheaper version of a sought after product. With prescription drugs, generic branded versions can't make their way into the market until the copyright term on the "name" brand version has expired. This way at least the original manufacturer that invested in R&D has time to reap the just rewards of their investment as well as continue to do so even after their term expires from the avid enthusiasts as have chimed in on this thread about the importance of supporting the original manufacturers. In addition for those that can't afford or justify spending more for what they see as the same or similar product can then benefit from "replica" manufacturers once the initial copyright term expires (economic stimulation with the continued incentive to innovate). What do you think? Maybe the onus here needs to shift away from end user here a bit and requires a bit more intervention from our government and their governance of the automotive aftermarket industry (with the understanding that more government involvement is not necessarily the best thing either).

Back