• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

BBS RG-R Fitment 17/17 | S Zero Project

Hello Prime family- I need some help with my project as it relates to wheels. Considering mint Zanardi/Type-S wheels are pushing almost $5,000 these days and a set only comes up once or twice a year, I've been thinking about going aftermarket for the same look. My search has led me to the BBS RG-R wheel, which is damn close to the OEM Type-S.

https://bbs-japan.co.jp/en/products/1266/

IIRC, the factory Type-S wheel specs are:

Front: 16" x 7" Offset 55 mm
Rear: 17" x 8.5" Offset 60 mm

And they correspond to the following tire sizes:

Front: 215/45/R16
Rear: 245/40/R17

Sadly, it appears that BBS does not offer a 16 inch version of the RG-R, so my next best bet is a 17/17 setup like the 2002+ OEM wheels, but using the Type-S tire sizing of 215F/245R. My options are:

Front: 17" x 7" Offset 42 mm; 17" x 7" Offset 50 mm
Rear: 17" x 8" Offset 32 mm; 17" x 8" Offset 40 mm; 17" x 8.5" Offset 55 mm

I have to admit that I am still somewhat a noob when it comes to fitment and offsets, since I always used factory wheels on my NSX and never had to worry about that stuff (save for the 5mm spacers on my 02+ rims). Based on my limited knowledge, the set that would most closely match the factory steering geometry would be F 17x7 50 mm, R 17x8.5 55 mm, right? Still, both options are 5 mm smaller offset than the factory wheels. Does that mean that the outside rim of the tire will sit 5 mm further out from the hub? Is that going to be a problem with brake clearance (OEM 92 brakes) or rubbing? All of the NSX setups with this wheel in Japan use the 17/18 fitment and are set up for stance/looks, etc. I'm interested instead of replicating the factory suspension geometry as closely as possible for performance reasons. Any help would be appreciated!

04_rgr703_dbk320.jpg

There was a set for sale in Pacific Northwest not long a go. Not sure if sold but I think it was listed on Facebook though. I think seller's name is Dan but not sure.

Also, suggest you scan Yahoo Japan and such. Marc P may be able to help too.

the 8 inch with 32 et may flirt with the edge of the fender ..the 7 inch et is better ..the narrow wheel will still fit 215..

RG-R's look great

Primer "speedmaster" has a set of RG-R's, and I believe he listed them for sale a while back. I have a set also - 17's all around. With 2002-2005 OEM brake calipers I have to run 5 mm spacers up front due to offset(s). No spacer needed in rear. Let me know if you would like me to look up the offsets on my particular RG-R's - I think I know where that info is.... :redface:

See:

http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showt...Fitment-(18x8-40-18x10-42)?highlight=BBS+RG-R

This is why I love Prime! [MENTION=12072]alum04org[/MENTION], could you look up your offset info? I think the 50 front and 55 rear is my best bet. now I just have to find a place in Japan that will ship them to me!

this post reminds me of someone from the Mid East NSX Meet we had in Raleigh last year... he had this setup i believe and he painted them Washi Grey. It is a super clean car and looked incredible. We all thought it was a Zanardi at first. I'm sure [MENTION=15637]99NCNSX[/MENTION] can get you some info

https://flic.kr/p/2enpYez

Last edited:
Good lookin' !

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Good photo JoseJA1979 :smile:

Honcho: I was mistaken when I posted 17's all-around............ nope, I have 17's front and 18's back and they look GOOD on NSX that way.

BBS RG-R's

Fronts 17x8, 215/40-17 tires, Offset ET40 (Must use 5 mm spacers to clear 2002-2005 OEM brake calipers.)

Rears 18x9, 265/35-18 tires, Offset ET42 (Clear OEM 2002-2005 NSX calipers.)

The RG-R's require different lug nuts (not NSX OEM lug nuts). Don't recall exactly - acorn style instead of ball/round? Don't forget to order those, too, along with a few extra BBS valve stem caps.

I think it really depends how much you want to favor a near authentic look or more towards a more aggressive look inspired "in the spirit of" look. Bigger you go.. wider you go, more lip, more aggressive, etc.. puts you further away from authenticity. Arguments can be made both ways so it really depends what you want. Once you guide us.. then I can maybe help with wheel selection and offsets and stuff...

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Good photo JoseJA1979 :smile:

Honcho: I was mistaken when I posted 17's all-around............ nope, I have 17's front and 18's back and they look GOOD on NSX that way.

BBS RG-R's

Fronts 17x8, 215/40-17 tires, Offset ET40 (Must use 5 mm spacers to clear 2002-2005 OEM brake calipers.)

Rears 18x9, 265/35-18 tires, Offset ET42 (Clear OEM 2002-2005 NSX calipers.)

The RG-R's require different lug nuts (not NSX OEM lug nuts). Don't recall exactly - acorn style instead of ball/round? Don't forget to order those, too, along with a few extra BBS valve stem caps.

Yeah, yours is the typical setup (17/18), but I want to get closer to the Type-S look. So, I think I'll go with the 17x7 50 and 17x8.5 55.

I just remembered, here's another guy, Chris, he can definitely help you source these - https://www.instagram.com/db8motorsports/

Thanks Roman- I'll reach out to him when the time comes. For now, I may just refinish my OEM 16/17 wheels, but I will ultimately want to get to the Type-S wheel/RG-R to complete the project.

I think it really depends how much you want to favor a near authentic look or more towards a more aggressive look inspired "in the spirit of" look. Bigger you go.. wider you go, more lip, more aggressive, etc.. puts you further away from authenticity. Arguments can be made both ways so it really depends what you want. Once you guide us.. then I can maybe help with wheel selection and offsets and stuff...

Sorry Regan, just saw this. My major problem with the 18 rears is that it's like putting a longer final drive gear in your car. I've driven OEM 17 back to back with 18 rears (my first NSX came with 18/18 before I changed to 2002 17/17)) and the difference is remarkable. I mean, people drop $2,000 on adding the 4.235 NSX-R ring gear and then completely undo it by putting on a big rim with a fat tire. I'm after max performance while looking as close to factory Type-S as possible. For that, I think it makes sense to go with 17/17 (I'd do 16/17 if it were available from BBS) and use the factory 215/245 split just like the S and S Zero did. I don't want that "deep dish" look either because it screams aftermarket. Thus, I think the 50 and 55 offsets will be as close to OEM look as possible.

Friendly reminder.. it's not the wheel necessarily but the tire height that causes a change in effective gearing. I don't recall but the recommended tire sizes in a 17 vs 18 rear are pretty close in total height. Stock 17 is 255/40/17. Recommended size for 18 is 255-275/35/18. 255 obviously, slightly shorter in total height for the same 35 series aspect ratio.

Good point. Looking at my selected tire for the project, Federal Evo ST-1, I get:

245/40/17 (Type-S Zero OEM): 24.8 inches
255/40/17 (NSX-R NA2 OEM): 25.1 inches
265/35/18 (Typical 18" fitment): 25.3 inches
255/35/18 (Ryu suggestion): 25 inches

Very interesting. The 255 is actually slightly smaller on the 18" vs. 17" wheel. I would never have guessed that. Still, both sizes are larger than the 245 tire, which is the S Zero spec. Plus, I would imagine the 18" wheel is heavier than the 17". Since not all of us are supercharged, Ryu :), I have to find acceleration wherever I can. With this thin air up here, it's hard enough! :D

Oh......hmmm. O K then. Thanks for the assist

Lol! Sorry if I came off weird. What i meant was every single setup I've seen for the RGR on the NSX is 17/18 (and it does look good) But, I need to figure out the right size for a 17 rear wheel. Thanks to your info, I know a 42 offset will work on the rear hub. I appreciate you checking it out.

Back