• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

BC Racing Coilovers - Comprehensive Review

People just have to be realistic about their expectations. A $1000 coilover system will fit your needs if want to lower your car and have better performance then say cut springs on 100k-mile worn stock shocks.

Yes, just realistic expectations. I've watched expectations on $1000 coilovers go from "not bad and ok" to "you don't need to spend any more money than this"

Appreciate your feedback. I'm only giving you a hard time because you equally dish it out to me too (and I actually really enjoy the banter because I consider you a friend first and foremost).I think we've killed this topic on Facebook. I'll suffice to say, all opinions, including mine are subjective and heresay. However, [MENTION=28830]jwmelvin[/MENTION] and I are the only ones who are attempting to use data to support our findings.

I only give you a hard time because I know you can take it and I can appreciate your POV and excellent feedback. The bromance is real...........

I agree with [MENTION=20915]RYU[/MENTION] that the shock-dyno plot should reveal at least certain characteristics that are apparent from driving. I am interested in understanding how the two correlate. What the shock dyno lacks is any reflection of the spring rate, which obviously has a huge subjective effect. I think one reason more-sophisticated dampers can be more comfortable for street use is that they can run lower spring rates, e.g. the KWv3, and still maintain good control of wheel motion with the damper. Also, I suspect the high-frequency behavior can be quite different (one wants low damping at high frequencies, so that the spring can isolate the car from vibration).

After this post I'm bailing out because I have no desire to engage in back and forth arguments.

Are you sure??

Les real world results and driver experience can trump faulty data, yes. But that's not how things work. You start with measurable things and use a scientific process, then you hand it to a professional driver in a race car driving at the track and get his feedback. Are you suggesting people should go and buy BC based on various NSX owners' butt dynos? I can put more weight on data being wrong if these go on an NSX Billly Johnson tests around COTA and returns with feedback on the pluses and minuses.

Yeah I didn't think so.......... I couldn't care less how some professional driver feels or what time he makes around COTA...........I care about how I feel on the track and my times or how I feel driving on the streets. Just like manufacturers who put up their Ring times...........it's meaningless to me because I will never be able to match those skills and 90% of the time I'm on the street where no one should be driving at that level anyway.

What I provided were real world results. Not butt dyno feeling or whatever else. I ran the best time at the NSXPO autocross last year. It was competitive and there were some great drivers but I managed this on BC coilovers which according to the "data" should not be posisble.........cannot be possible according to some. I also ran a 1.50 at MRLS last week. How is this possible!?? Maybe because the power was "turned ON" and theory went out the door.

BTW - Don't think it didn't go unnoticed how you had to tell us all that you spent $10,000 on your suspension in the FB thread.............good for you bro...........

a shock curve like the one posted for bc will be fine on smooth roads...or maybe a parking lot auto-x or a nice track....but I hope to see some feedback from the folks who do go from bc to something else...

smooth roads, autox and nice tracks. Doesn't that basically include every possible place you will drive your NSX? Is someone off-roading? As I mentioned on FB, I will eventually switch to KWs and then I can provide feedback.

Wow, about 275 comments later and the same stuff said in the very first post is still being repeated :eek:

If an NSX owner doesn't know what they want to buy or how much they want to spend on a coilover setup, try to get rides in other members cars with the various options out there before plunking down your cash.

I mean really, don't we have better things to be doing than arguing about coilovers?

Dave

how are the bc on long mid speed bumpy streets? or high speed road dips?

time to drive...spring is here............

maybe you need to unwind some more

Wow, about 275 comments later and the same stuff said in the very first post is still being repeated :eek:If an NSX owner doesn't know what they want to buy or how much they want to spend on a coilover setup, try to get rides in other members cars with the various options out there before plunking down your cash. I mean really, don't we have better things to be doing than arguing about coilovers?Dave
Way to dampen the mood Dave...

- - - Updated - - -You think them fancy Swift springs might let me do that?- - - Updated - - -It's a holiday weekend. We all need to lighten up. You'd think we're solving third world hunger in our little NSX forums.
Haha! I thought you guys were making a play on words and I was playing along. Talking about cars should never get anyone upset. It's a toy. It's fun.

You guys will get a good review once I bolt my KW on. Granted I am no track racer, shock guru but the BC in my opinion were for extreme lowering. Just as it says on their site. Ride quality is completely subjective and was terrible for me. At least with the KW, I can consult Coz or Stuntman for help.

- - - Updated - - -

how are the bc on long mid speed bumpy streets? or high speed road dips?
Absolutely horrible. Especially high speed dips. Fenders go crunch...

- - - Updated - - -

A good question to ask here, is how many people run BC and fender liners? I found it was 90% impossible.

Last edited:
I ran the best time at the NSXPO autocross last year. It was competitive and there were some great drivers but I managed this on BC coilovers which according to the "data" should not be posisble.........cannot be possible according to some.

I tried my hardest but couldn't beat you with my KW's. My tire pressures must have been off. That's the only way you could have beat me. :upset::upset::chunky::chunky:

You guys will get a good review once I bolt my KW on. Granted I am no track racer, shock guru but the BC in my opinion were for extreme lowering. Just as it says on their site. Ride quality is completely subjective and was terrible for me. At least with the KW, I can consult Coz or Stuntman for help.

- - - Updated - - -

Absolutely horrible. Especially high speed dips. Fenders go crunch...

- - - Updated - - -

A good question to ask here, is how many people run BC and fender liners? I found it was 90% impossible.

Did you have someone knowledgeable inspect your suspension? You seemed to have so many problems which were unfortunate. I have to think there was something wrong with your set up or maybe you got a bad batch of dampers. Did you sell them already? Did you have them tested? Anyway I'm sure you will praise the KWs.......it is highly unlikely you will be disappointed. Regarding the fender liners yes I still have mine and you saw how low my car was..........Coz actually raised it a 1/4" since you last saw it.

- - - Updated - - -

I tried my hardest but couldn't beat you with my KW's. My tire pressures must have been off. That's the only way you could have beat me. :upset::upset::chunky::chunky:

I actually had stayed at a Holiday Inn the night before so that probably explains it

Did you have someone knowledgeable inspect your suspension? You seemed to have so many problems which were unfortunate. I have to think there was something wrong with your set up or maybe you got a bad batch of dampers. Did you sell them already? Did you have them tested? Anyway I'm sure you will praise the KWs.......it is highly unlikely you will be disappointed. Regarding the fender liners yes I still have mine and you saw how low my car was..........Coz actually raised it a 1/4" since you last saw it.

No I didnt have them inspected. Yes they were just sold. I am glad you think they are awesome. I sure wanted mine to be. I think after owning them though, it just might be easier to get a feel of what to look for in the KW. It was a learning experience using coil overs for me. I bought mine from Ravi at Umbrella. Shad did do some test driving on them and said he was actually surprised how they rode. I just know there has to a step up.
Not bashing BC, just sharing my own eperience.
I think the KW outshines the BC because a lot of things are pre set. The BC offers infinate spring and damper valving set ups. It can get a little confusing.

Dhalsim you'll argue to no end defending the coilovers, logic, data, science, professional opinions, none matter but your autox time does. LOL. And just because I said the KW 's were $10K, it's because it's relevant to talk about WHICH they were and that they were the top of the line model. No one cares.... It's a car part. If you think I'm trying to "boast" somehow and you're feeling worked up enough about it to actually mention it, it's just your own ego taking offense.

I think so. I liked them better than OEM and Bilsteins. And the adjustable height to get the right look was great. But yes, did hear incremental noise in cold weather, but I have the same issue with the coilovers on my RX-7. Welcome to Michigan and four seasons.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Before I start a new thread I wanted to raise this one from the dead.

Currently there are at least 3 BC Racing options that are less expensive than the $2900 KWv3 option, BR $1300, DS $1500, ER $2000 (2-way). I am not interested in setting up a 2-way for my nsx given that it would be a street car. Does anyone have any experience with the DS version of these coilovers? I would do 8/6 swift rates since I have spare swifts at home from my ohlins.

Before I start a new thread I wanted to raise this one from the dead.

Currently there are at least 3 BC Racing options that are less expensive than the $2900 KWv3 option, BR $1300, DS $1500, ER $2000 (2-way). I am not interested in setting up a 2-way for my nsx given that it would be a street car. Does anyone have any experience with the DS version of these coilovers? I would do 8/6 swift rates since I have spare swifts at home from my ohlins.

As the OP, I can only speak to the BR, but those shocks are still running strong on my old 91. My understanding from BC is that the DS is really the same as a BR, but with a digressive piston. This should help with some of the vaugeness at low speed damping that is present on the linear-valved BR.

I continue to be a fan of the BC as a great OEM+ option for NSX owners who don't track their cars much.

Thanks Honcho
It's great to hear you're still a fan. I am very interested in the DS due to the digressive valving since it's what I am familiar with on my other car.

Thanks Honcho
It's great to hear you're still a fan. I am very interested in the DS due to the digressive valving since it's what I am familiar with on my other car.

I daily drove those BRs in all 4 seasons including deep snow for 4 years, so I still have a lot of muscle memory from them. I'll post an update once my Motion Control setup is running to compare the feel of the budget BC (still the best of that category IMHO) to the top-shelf MCS.

I daily drove those BRs in all 4 seasons including deep snow for 4 years, so I still have a lot of muscle memory from them. I'll post an update once my Motion Control setup is running to compare the feel of the budget BC (still the best of that category IMHO) to the top-shelf MCS.

waiting for your impressions!

Back