• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Been thinking about a Ferrari

I spent some time in Europe this summer and there were a number of ferraris around especially in switzerland ( all those rich bankers I guess) anyway I got to thinking it may be cool to have a Ferrari:rolleyes: just for fun. My wife was really going for it since I told her I would get a F1 paddle shifter.:smile: She loves driving the NSX but the cluthch get her leg tired in traffic. Everything seemed fun until she mentioned getting rid of the NSX to help pay for the Ferrari.:eek: Boy the thought of selling my chilhood dream my highschool sweetheart OMG. I've been giving this some thought and I think most people would agree driving around in a Ferrari would be cool:cool: but since I own a Red /Blk 2005 NSX one of only 20 imported to the US it's a much more rare car than almost any Ferrari. Unless you can spring for an Enzo no Ferrari has the styling of an NSX. and come on 2-5K per year maintenance that's if nothing goes wrong. I've had my NSX for several years each time I take it to the dealer for service I say isn't there anything that needs to be done and he says no you have about 60K before you need anything but mobile one at about 80.00 a year.
Not sure how cool a Ferrari this idea was.
I think I"m gonna be a hard sell.

Tony

VERY tough call... Your NSX is newer, so its a tougher decision. The "service at dealer" thing becomes trickier once you are looking at TB/WP (which for you is just about now). I really dont think any of them are trusted to do it, so you are stuck searching out one of the "qualified" major work guys for the NSX. And you need to do that every 6-7 years to the tune of $1800-$2500. This is a big challenge with the NSX IMO. I live in fear of Bernie at Davis Acura retiring. Once he does Ill have to figure out how to get the car to Larry and then somehow get home. Thats a massive pain in the ass and sometimes enough to make me want to sell before the next TB/WP (just had it done a few months ago)

A Ferrari, on the other hand, independents are all over. Cost is of course a big factor. You are spot on in your maintenance assumption. Have to budget a few hundred a month to run a F348/F355 comfortably with a good $10-$20k emergency banked. F360 is a bit better, F430 better still. F430's still have a lot of deprecation yet, so F360 is probably the sweet spot.

Styling is subjective, of course. Personally I think the F355 is a much nicer looking car than the NSX, and also much nicer looking than both the F360 and F430 :D F360/F430 vs NSX is a tossup, but certainly the Ferraris are more dramatic and exotic. Performance is a lot better too on any Ferrari F355 or newer unless your NSX is modded for power (Im running CTSC for this reason)

I'd say the smart money decision would be NSX vs F360 assuming you like it. Thats *really* a very tough call at this point IMO.

Now of course for anyone who doesnt like Ferrari at all (shockingly these folks exist :D) its a no brainer.

For me personally, I often struggle with this same question you are, but maintenance keeps me at bay since I would really want the F355.

Last edited:
I too have thought about getting a F360 or F430 as I think they are about the most beautifully styled car in the world.
HOWEVER, IMO, you do have the perfect car. It is the color combo I like and the 02+ body style.
BTW, are you getting any of that smoke from the fires down in Gulf Shores?

your NSX is cool, but a Ferrari is a Ferrari. all those negative things you mentioned are why they are so desireable. many who buy a Ferrari often can't stomach the maintenance and sell it.

a Ferrari may have Schumacher's help in developement, but the NSX had Senna... and even Schumacher said Senna is #1. sure that's not enough reason to say the NSX is better, but it certainly is a cool fact.

clearly you enjoy the NSX, but life is short... you don't want to die wondering "what if...?" i say do it. i'm completely happy with my cars, but if i ever had the itch, i'd scratch it... heck that is why i own these cars. my bucket list...

Last edited:
A few years ago I was thinking seriously about buying a F car. I have in mind a 550. I did not give the 360/430 much thoughts as I wanted a V12 if I step up.
Then having much discussions with friends in the auto biz here, we estimated the annual costs to keep the F would be at least 10 times than the NSX. My '91 NSX is relatively cheap to run with usual oil change, A/C service and annual MOT. I have parts from SOS for the TB/gaskets etc and hoses project for 3rd Q.
After much deliberations, I stayed with my NSX although i still very much like a 550!
Its just too prohibitve as in HK, there is one dealer and a few indies. But parts are expensive and one must almost have to use it a DD to max. the usage. With the X, I can not use it for a week, then start and go.
In the end, I opted for a MB SL320 for the convertible/pano roof instead.
I still have my X but as a senior/petrol head, I just could not see supporting my friendly shop/crew.

if anything happens to that ferrari if u get it of course :biggrin: ull be selling ur house to fix it or getting another one... but ferrari's are a car worth drooling over :smile:

Keep your NSX, get the wife a Maserati. Here is a Gransport LE I bought with a Ferrari 360 motor and transmission, beautiful sound and interior, in the 40K range. This was a PREMIUM car, the best I found, with less than 6K miles on it. With a bit more milage, you can get get one in the 30's easily. It's a paddle shift and comfortable. It's fast, and a perfect car for a woman that doesn't want to shift but likes sports cars.

2-2.jpg

1-2.jpg

3-2.jpg

3-2.jpg

5-2.jpg

6-2.jpg

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/PNpCD083skw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The F1 blips the throttle on every downshift, and makes anyone sound like they are perfectly heel and toe downshifting. Car seats 4 COMFORTABLY. Maintenance is definitely less than a Ferrari. By now these have taken their major hit, so depreciation is fairly low.

<iframe width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/aTN89LxRBbM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

maserati's with the manual/ cambiocorsa (paddle shift) are still ferrari sourced, so maintenance on those items is still the same and as frequent. only difference is major engine service is less than a Ferrari due to engine location... still not cheap to own, hence the low resale.

that said, newer models have the ZF automatic and those are much more affordable to maintain. (but less fun)

It kills me when I hear all of the talk about ridiculous maintenance costs on the Ferrari's. I have them both and all I can say maybe there are some that are nightmares, but my 04 spider has been a peach since day one. I will say this... don't sell the X even stock if you can afford it. I love tossing it around in corners and I still love looking at them both. The NSX actually has a more exotic or "rare" look to her even for a 20 year design. The 360 has high flow cats and a tubi exhaust which is absolutely spine tingling at speed, no comparo.
I am currently tossing around the idea of another stablemate, but the NSX will never be sold. I have owned her for 14 years and still LOVE driving it!
Oh almost forgot, I have put 5000 miles on the F car in 3 years with nothing but fluid changes, I have just ordered a set of RE-11 tires and thats all. Get a 6-speed car and forget about it, you only live once :0)

It kills me when I hear all of the talk about ridiculous maintenance costs on the Ferrari's. I have them both and all I can say maybe there are some that are nightmares, but my 04 spider has been a peach since day one. I will say this... don't sell the X even stock if you can afford it. I love tossing it around in corners and I still love looking at them both. The NSX actually has a more exotic or "rare" look to her even for a 20 year design. The 360 has high flow cats and a tubi exhaust which is absolutely spine tingling at speed, no comparo.
I am currently tossing around the idea of another stablemate, but the NSX will never be sold. I have owned her for 14 years and still LOVE driving it!
Oh almost forgot, I have put 5000 miles on the F car in 3 years with nothing but fluid changes, I have just ordered a set of RE-11 tires and thats all. Get a 6-speed car and forget about it, you only live once :0)
Finally an actual owner chimes in, with
that said f360 is in the works for sure

they aren't unreliable, they just have expensive and frequent maintenance... just know what you are getting into. you don't need to plan for anything unforseen other than premature clutch wear, which is dependent on your driving style. so have money set aside for regular maintenance and that.

people get all wet over the NSX exhaust, but they don't compare to a Ferrari... it just can't. i just prefer the look of my cars over anything else out there... and i can't afford maintenance on a Ferrari. (and refuse to) i get to drive them on a track though, so i'm not missing out on anything...

they aren't unreliable, they just have expensive and frequent maintenance... just know what you are getting into. you don't need to plan for anything unforseen other than premature clutch wear, which is dependent on your driving style. so have money set aside for regular maintenance and that.

people get all wet over the NSX exhaust, but they don't compare to a Ferrari... it just can't. i just prefer the look of my cars over anything else out there... and i can't afford maintenance on a Ferrari. (and refuse to) i get to drive them on a track though, so i'm not missing out on anything...

I agree with this.

Its not a subjective thing, maintenance costs, so "real owner weighing in" doesnt mean much. There is a ton of actual cost data available on the web. Major service on a F355 is normally 6-8k. Major service on a F360 is 3-5k. That service needs to be done every 5 years tops. It isnt like the NSX where people forego doing TB/WP for 20 years and then say "do I REALLY have to do it???" On the Ferrari, yeah, you need to do it (NSX too really, but many refuse to learn this until they learn it the hard way)

Add to that that hourly rate is higher on a Ferrari, every single part is higher on a Ferrari, overall reliability is lower on a Ferrari. A Ferrari isnt a car you cut corners on. You cut corners and you feel pain. For many, even the NSX is a car they need to cut corners on. Thats a sure sign to stay far away from an F car. Its pretty ridiculous for anyone to claim that maintenance costs arent high. I know *dozens* of Ferrari owners from my years on F-Chat, cars and coffee, councours events, etc. *All* of them will tell you well yeah, its mighty expensive, but its worth it.

As for looks and sound, IMO, the NSX doesnt really hold up to any Ferrari in either area (maybe with some exceptions), but that part is subjective. Cost... is not. Which is why I stick with the NSX :)

For someone who *can* afford to maintain a Ferrari, and has a desire to own one, IMO it would be crazy not to.

Last edited:
Okay guys , the 360 with manual tranny, ummm only up keep so far, oil changes and a bad oil sending unit. Cost of oil sending unit was 157.00 from ricambi america, I installed myself. The oil was 138.00 plus a 40.00 filter from ferrari. I had to invest in oil filter tool which was 88.00, big deal. The belt changes at the Dealer is 5-10k if you're an idiot or too pretentious to have a speed shop replace them. I already have the 15k service pack which includes all the belts for 1500.00 and a local shop "motor werks" charges 1500.00 to install, Hell Norwood performance in Dallas only charges 1000.00. There are guys here in Houston with 750 hp twin screw novitec 360's, 1000 hp underground racing Murcies... I think thats hardly unreliable. I have a couple of friends that have both the NSX and either a Lambo Gallardo, or F-car of some sort. In fact a very close friend has a 50k mile Gallardo, again very reliable and there are lots daily drivers out there. Try joining a Ferrari Forum and search for high mileage 360's, you will be surprised. I love the NSX community which generally speaking are a much more sensible group of car guys, but in this case ???? By the way, the clutch replacement on a 360 manual is about the same cost as an X. No the car isn't cheap to repair if you know nothing about the car or you have more money than you know what to do with , but just as NSXPRIME is a great source of knowledge... "Ferrari chat" is full of helpful car guys talking about the low maintenance of their modern F cars. Yes there a some horror stories about electrical bugs and mechanical failures, but that's few and far between.

Attachments

• DSC05835.jpg
    DSC05835.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 231
  • DSC06745.jpg
    DSC06745.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 216
  • n591108418_1490108_622178.jpg
    n591108418_1490108_622178.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 226
  • 35559_houston_nsxcraze2010009_122_950lo.jpg
    35559_houston_nsxcraze2010009_122_950lo.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 192
Last edited:
ok, i think you keep missing the fact that no one has said Ferrari's are unreliable...

if a qualified independent repair shop charges so little for labor, then its a different story with maintenance... but clearly no one i know with a Ferrari knows about it, so they pay $9k for timing belt services or run.

The issue is that if you have it serviced elsewhere, other than a dealer, it tends to hurt its resale value and pretty strongly. Also "high mileage" is 15K in F world, not 100K.

maserati's with the manual/ cambiocorsa (paddle shift) are still ferrari sourced, so maintenance on those items is still the same and as frequent.

The rates to do the SAME work are different, and lower on Maseratis. So are some of the parts. I have looked into this extensively.

Anyway the up front cost is very cheap on something like a Gransport, and frankly, it's more comfortable, roomy, and less hardcore than a 360. Having the NSX and a Gransport is terrific. The Gransport can actually carry 4 adults and it sings... it's not fat either, it's around 3600 pounds, the Gran Turismo is fat at 4200 or so. The Gransport is a faster car.

The auto you refer to is... well... an auto. It's not an F1 trans. I wouldn't want it.

Mas20Snow20New20years20Eve202009200051-1.jpg

Mas20Snow20New20years20Eve202009200021.jpg

Last edited:
There's been a lot of feed back and that's been greatly helpful and appreciated. I've talked to several independant shops that service F360s and most have said the maintenance is really required. Apparantely Ferraris don't like brake fluid and if it's not flushed regularly you'll have all kinds of pitting etc. Same for F1 tranny fluid. Basically though a full fluid service is about 500 once a yr. The TB needs changing much more frequently than an X. Or at least Ferrari recomends it more often and it's aout 1800. So what most people are telling me is it's really not that bad to keep up an F car. At the risk of sounding bragadoshish I'm an older guy that luckily has been reasonably successful. So I can easily afford pretty much whatever comes along on the F car ownership. I'm pretty sure i'm going to pull the trigger on a 360 soon but may fight a bit harder to keep the X too.

Tony

Last edited:
The issue is that if you have it serviced elsewhere, other than a dealer, it tends to hurt its resale value and pretty strongly. Also "high mileage" is 15K in F world, not 100K.

You hit the nail right on the head .... The bunch of guys I know that do have Fcars dont keep them long and the ones they do have they keep all the paper work and up keep records for when there ready to flip it for something else. The thousands you save now can hurt you when your trying to sell it later.

Go for it..enjoy life, experience something new...after all isn't life for experencing new things? Besides its just a car...seriously..when all said and done ITS JUST A CAR. I think most people on prime are open minded and would tell you to go get what your heart desires (ferrari, lambo, porche, ect) and if you dont like it you can always come back to NSX...if nothing else you can atleast say you the opportunity to drivie and enjoy a ferrari. I am sure there are a couple of hard core primers who will give you all the BS excuse why a NSX is better (reliablity, cost of ownership ect ect) but in the end these people are just plain biased or sour cause they dont have the means to buy a ferrari. Sounds like you are blessed and have the means to get a ferrari...so i say take the risk and live a little and enjoy other cars...after all, we are car enthusist first and NSX enthusisast second --well atleast i am.

zaid

the same
I spent some time in Europe this summer and there were a number of ferraris around especially in switzerland ( all those rich bankers I guess) anyway I got to thinking it may be cool to have a Ferrari:rolleyes: just for fun. My wife was really going for it since I told her I would get a F1 paddle shifter.:smile: She loves driving the NSX but the cluthch get her leg tired in traffic. Everything seemed fun until she mentioned getting rid of the NSX to help pay for the Ferrari.:eek: Boy the thought of selling my chilhood dream my highschool sweetheart OMG. I've been giving this some thought and I think most people would agree driving around in a Ferrari would be cool:cool: but since I own a Red /Blk 2005 NSX one of only 20 imported to the US it's a much more rare car than almost any Ferrari. Unless you can spring for an Enzo no Ferrari has the styling of an NSX. and come on 2-5K per year maintenance that's if nothing goes wrong. I've had my NSX for several years each time I take it to the dealer for service I say isn't there anything that needs to be done and he says no you have about 60K before you need anything but mobile one at about 80.00 a year.
Not sure how cool a Ferrari this idea was.
I think I"m gonna be a hard sell.

Tony

Last edited:
Go for it..enjoy life, experience something new...after all isnt life for experencing new things? Besides its just a car...seriously..when all said and done ITS JUST A CAR. I think most people on prime are open minded and would tell you to go get what your heard desires (ferrari, lambo, porche, ect) and if you dont like it then you can always come back to NSX and if nothing else you can atleast say you the opportunity to drivie and enjoy a ferrari. I am sure there are a couple of hard core primers who will give you all the BS excuse why a NSX is better (reliablity, cost of ownership ect ect) but in the end these people are just plain biased or sour cause they dont have the means to buy a ferrari. Sounds like you are blessed and have the means to get a ferrari...so i say take the risk and live a little and enjoy other cars...after all, we are car enthusist first and NSX enthusisast second --well atleast i am.

BAM! Couldn't have said it better myself. I have NEVER EVER purchased a car based on resale value. Actually, it's never even been a variable in my purchasing decision. If I were to worry about that then I might worry about the miles I put on it, or tiny door dings, or perfect records, etc, etc. I don't have time in life to worry about things. My only concern is making sure I enjoy life to the fullest and do what I want. Does that mean I am irresponsible with my money...absolutely not! At the end of the day, like said above, a car is just a CAR. Get the car that is going to make you smile from ear to ear when you fire it up and drive it...then do just that with it...USE IT (and don't fear the maintenance costs)! If I ever get to the stage where I am worried about miles I put on a vehicle, I will have to find a new passion.

Best of luck in your decision making and let us know the outcome!

Last edited:
There's been a lot of feed back and that's been greatly helpful and appreciated. I've talked to several independant shops that service F360s and most have said the maintenance is really required. Apparantely Ferraris don't like brake fluid and if it's not flushed regularly you'll have all kinds of pitting etc. Same for F1 tranny fluid. Basically though a full fluid service is about 500 once a yr. The TB needs changing much more frequently than an X. Or at least Ferrari recomends it more often and it's aout 1800. So what most people are telling me is it's really not that bad to keep up an F car. At the risk of sounding bragadoshish I'm an older guy that luckily has been reasonably successful. So I can easily afford pretty much whatever comes along on the F car ownership. I'm pretty sure i'm going to pull the trigger on a 360 soon but may fight a bit harder to keep the X too.

Tony

Tony, you said it right here man. You are directly on the right track. Ferraris do need their maintenance. And they are absolutely not horribly unreliable (anymore) as long as they get that regular maintenance (and get driven! they are better when driven) Cost is totally subjective as you point out.

Belt service is going to be more than $1800 (if you notice, even 9kRPM making the case for Ferraris being cheap paid $1500 for the belt kit and the independent is going to charge $1500 to install it) so figure more like $3k. And you need to do the belt service every 5 years. Its really minor every 2-3, major every 5-6. But Ive heard too many stories about things that were "caught early" in the major and would have been catastrophic, so I say err on the side of caution with the belt service. $3k every five at an independent isnt so horrible. Figure another grand or two at a dealer (which IMO isnt so bad once you're into these numbers for someone who really can afford it)

For someone who *can* afford it, and you are in this boat, there is *nothing* like a Ferrari.

Ive been in them a ton. I love the NSX, but it isnt the same. The key is to just know what you're getting into. If you know you can afford it, there is *no* reason not to do it. It's when people are trying to talk themselves into a stretch, and basically kidding themselves, that I throw out the caution flag. The stallion needs to be properly cared for :D

This is a GREAT time to buy F360s. I think you should take a look on Ferrari chat as there are a couple of very nice member cars up now. Good luck!

Last edited:
''We don't sell cars; we sell dreams.''

here its used by Ferrari, but to call the NSX "just a car" is wrong... to many it is a dream. both my cars are a dream come true. this is what my heart desires and i drive one or the other every day to indulge my passion.

anyways, good luck with the purchase, Tony. maybe if you got one with some miles on it, you can keep the NSX?

''We don't sell cars; we sell dreams.''

here its used by Ferrari, but to call the NSX "just a car" is wrong... to many it is a dream. both my cars are a dream come true. this is what my heart desires and i drive one or the other every day to indulge my passion.

anyways, good luck with the purchase, Tony. maybe if you got one with some miles on it, you can keep the NSX?

To each their own. I think an Enzo and a Mclaren F1 at the end of the day are just cars. Amazing cars, yes, but just cars. I have much larger dreams and aspirations than a material item. I agree that cars can be a dream come true for some people. But as definition would have it, it is a car/automobile/vehicle, and that's what I call them.

Anyways, sorry for the OT...BACK ON IT :biggrin:

*btw, not knocking you for having cars as your dreams, just clarifying my stance on why I can call them just cars*

Back