• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Been thinking about a Ferrari

To each their own. I think an Enzo and a Mclaren F1 at the end of the day are just cars. Amazing cars, yes, but just cars. I have much larger dreams and aspirations than a material item. I agree that cars can be a dream come true for some people. But as definition would have it, it is a car/automobile/vehicle, and that's what I call them.

Anyways, sorry for the OT...BACK ON IT :biggrin:

*btw, not knocking you for having cars as your dreams, just clarifying my stance on why I can call them just cars*

I think for many, their "dreams", no matter how they choose to articulate them, amount to material success, which relates to wealth, which comes back to material objects :D Not saying this is universal, and if your dream is to cure cancer through selfless research effort I truly salute you (and I mean that), but to me, "dream car" at least gets to the point for the vast majority of people whose dreams almost always boil down to "to make a ton of money doing something fun".

I've had people say "I dont care about material wealth, I just want to pursue my DREAM" and when I say "oh, and whats that?" its "to be a FAMOUS ROCK STAR". Ah.. I see. And if famous rockstars were all basically homeless Im sure that dream wouldnt change then and it would still be right on track because of "love of the music" ;)

Like that Jesse Jaye song "it ain't about the monah monah monah"... And yet... that song isnt free, its $1.29 on iTunes :D

Last edited:
I think for many, their "dreams", no matter how they choose to articulate them, amount to material success, which relates to wealth, which comes back to material objects :D Not saying this is universal, and if your dream is to cure cancer through selfless research effort I truly salute you (and I mean that), but to me, "dream car" at least gets to the point for the vast majority of people whose dreams almost always boil down to "to make a ton of money doing something fun".

I've had people say "I dont care about material wealth, I just want to pursue my DREAM" and when I say "oh, and whats that?" its "to be a FAMOUS ROCK STAR". Ah.. I see. And if famous rockstars were all basically homeless Im sure that dream wouldnt change then and it would still be right on track because of "love of the music" ;)

You make a very good point indeed. "Dream Car" definitely works well in this situation :wink:. I guess I am just the odd ball in the yard when I can honestly say that my dreams don't have to do with any material items. But I agree that lots of people I do know, certainly have those aspirations.

Like that Jesse Jaye song "it ain't about the monah monah monah"... And yet... that song isnt free, its $1.29 on iTunes :biggrin:

Too funny!

i guess i am in the same boat as you in that my dreams are not material posessions and certainly not a car.....but since we are talking about cars i define "dream cars" as achievement of an aspiration and now that i have it
its no longer a dream..its more of a validation that i did what i said i was gonna do and so comes the time to move on to the next "dream car" lol...perhaps a ferrari :tongue: or maybe an R8 or 993 turbo or a ford GT...when i die i wanna say i owned them and experienced them all :biggrin: ..even if it was one at a time..but then again how does that saying go? ...hmmm variety is the spice of life :tongue:

zaid

You make a very good point indeed. "Dream Car" definitely works well in this situation :wink:. I guess I am just the odd ball in the yard when I can honestly say that my dreams don't have to do with any material items. But I agree that lots of people I do know, certainly have those aspirations.

Too funny!

I'd be happy with my NSX and an F-Car parked in my future garage (house still pending) :cool: I wouldn't want to give up my NSX, unless it was for a 02+ for the right price.

Like that Jesse Jaye song "it ain't about the monah monah monah"... And yet... that song isnt free, its $1.29 on iTunes :D

even if your dream is to cure cancer, it may not be truly selfless... many celebrities that take on diseases only do so because they or a loved one has been affected by it.

my dream is not material goods... my dream is a good life... being able to drive cars that stir the soul every day is good... being able to eat every day is good... having shelter is good... but so are great friends and family.
notice i said, the cars are a dream come true... cars are simply a part of the big picture... and yes it includes material goods, as i don't intend to live in an ally in a box, freezing and starving.

even if your dream is to cure cancer, it may not be truly selfless... many celebrities that take on diseases only do so because they or a loved one has been affected by it.

my dream is not material goods... my dream is a good life... being able to drive cars that stir the soul every day is good... being able to eat every day is good... having shelter is good... but so are great friends and family.
notice i said, the cars are a dream come true... cars are simply a part of the big picture... and yes it includes material goods, as i don't intend to live in an ally in a box, freezing and starving.

Good for YOU!!!! As I said to each their own.

Where the heck did this cancer talk come from lol, I didn't make one peep about that. Who said you have to live in a box freezing and starving to have non-material dreams??? Celebrities... oh boy talk about really going off topic lol.

but to call the NSX "just a car" is wrong...

No need to get defensive or fight for your lifestyle. I was merely stating my case and point for the above comment you made. You said it was wrong to call a car, "just a car" and I merely stated my example. Simple as that. Just in case I even made it clear with my *comment lol. Aw well.

I've said my piece and won't be back to this thread, you can continue the debate with yourself if you please HBui39.

Sorry to take it off topic tonyf -- if you're ever in SoCal or the NW PM me and you can come out and compare some F cars first hand.

I am bored at work, so I just wanted to offer my worthless opinion: an nsx, like a Lamborghini, Ferrari or any other exotics car, are just that, cars. Very nice cars, but still cars, at the end of the day.

OP , if you can afford a Ferrari, go for it as long as you know what you are getting into. You only live once.

dreams also include nightmares.....just sayin....:tongue:

I am bored at work, so I just wanted to offer my worthless opinion: an nsx, like a Lamborghini, Ferrari or any other exotics car, are just that, cars. Very nice cars, but still cars, at the end of the day.

OP , if you can afford a Ferrari, go for it as long as you know what you are getting into. You only live once.

well there you have it... Tony, do not get a Ferrari because it is just a car... get a Honda Civic, much cheaper and in the end it is just a car. :wink:

You probably didn’t pay attention. Tony said he wanted a Ferrari, not a Civic.:wink:

well there you have it... Tony, do not get a Ferrari because it is just a car... get a Honda Civic, much cheaper and in the end it is just a car. :wink:

i don't really care, but seems a bit hypocritical coming from an NSX owner that its just a car... yes, by definition, it is a car... but so is a civic. your wife is just a woman, too, right? your child is just another brat? see where i am coming from? there is an emotional attachment involved with all these things that make it more than "just a..."

my friends wife cares nothing about cars other than to get around and she said "its just a car." she is right and to her it is. for an owner to say that just baffles my mind... did you really spend so much on a car and you have no emotions towards it? is it simply a status symbol or compensation for your shortcomings??? help me to understand your logic. :confused:

i don't really care, but seems a bit hypocritical coming from an NSX owner that its just a car... yes, by definition, it is a car... but so is a civic. your wife is just a woman, too, right? your child is just another brat? see where i am coming from? there is an emotional attachment involved with all these things that make it more than "just a..."

my friends wife cares nothing about cars other than to get around and she said "its just a car." she is right and to her it is. for an owner to say that just baffles my mind... did you really spend so much on a car and you have no emotions towards it? is it simply a status symbol or compensation for your shortcomings??? help me to understand your logic. :confused:
there are far more people who own sports cars in this world who don't post on line don't belong to any "clubs' don't go to meets and could'nt care less about thier fancy car than those that do all those things.....Many folks who have the means but don't have the passion choose thier car based on reviews/word of mouth and salesmen....we here on prime are a much more involved subset of the population.

I think you know what you're going to do already. If you are in love with an F-car, I don't think reliability is an issue. I don't see reliability being a trump card at all. The 360 and 430 share parts with other manufacturers. You'll see Bosch and other hardware used on slightly older BMWs etc that were very reliable. You'll fix stuff sure, but I don't think you'll care.

Many indy shops have excellent reputations and I can't see an oil change or belt swap killing resale on a car if it's well cared for.

I plan to own a Ferrari some day. Owning the best car from several countries just seems like the thing to do.

Last edited:
For you, owning an NSX is a dream, and that’s fine and dandy. Nothing wrong with that. For some other people, owning an NSX (or Ferrari or whatever) is just owning another nice car. A dream car, yes, but it’s not the be all and end all. An NSX was my dream car too while I was growing up, but it’s just that, a car.

An NSX is hardly a status symbol these days.

You seem to have problem accepting that other people don’t share the same opinion as yourself. Anyway I rest my case cuz I feel like this “dream car” talk is like kindergarten argument lol. Whatever floats your boat dude.

Last edited:
For you, owning an NSX is a dream, and that’s fine and dandy. Nothing wrong with that. For some other people, owning an NSX (or Ferrari or whatever) is just owning another nice car. A dream car, yes, but it’s not the be all and end all. An NSX was my dream car too while I was growing up, but it’s just that, a car.

An NSX is hardly a status symbol these days.

You seem to have problem accepting that other people don’t share the same opinion as yourself. Anyway I rest my case cuz I feel like this “dream car” talk is like kindergarten argument lol. Whatever floats your boat dude.

i get it, you have no passion for cars or the NSX and the only reason you are here on prime is because you are bored at work. gotcha!
calling a Ferrari just a car is like pissing on Enzo Ferrari's grave... you have no respect for people's life work, yet you are trying to insinuate i am immature. whatever floats your boat dude. :rolleyes:

i get it, you have no passion for cars or the NSX and the only reason you are here on prime is because you are bored at work. gotcha!
calling a Ferrari just a car is like pissing on Enzo Ferrari's grave... you have no respect for people's life work, yet you are trying to insinuate i am immature. whatever floats your boat dude. :rolleyes:

not quite...I hope you can see that you created quite a hypothetical stretch going from calling a Ferrari just a car to pissing on Enzos' grave:confused: you brought up this idea of someones life work somehow being denigrated by a simple opinion of fact.Cars are cars. Enzo is still sleeping soundly:wink:

I have been wanting to purchase a F355 or 360 for several years now. Came real close about a month ago but ended up with a beautiful 2005 NSX.

I am fortunate; money is not the issue for me...the issue is locating a F355 or 360 that; 1) Has been taken care of, and; 2) Is up to date on all maintenance.

I just can't bring myself to pay $70k for a car that is due for $5k in maintenance. This seems to be the norm with most F-cars that are for sale.

I keep looking everyday for an F-car and will eventually end up with one. What to do with my mint 2005 NSX is going to be my next challenge. Sell or keep her???

Well, I'm not in the market for a Ferrari, though I would love to have a 355 someday. My thinking is that if you don't have to worry about the money, then don't tell yourself that it has to be one or the other. If you end up with two cars that you enjoy driving and can appreciate for what they are, then there's no reason to get rid of one.

However, if you find that you prefer one to the point where you begin to neglect the other, then maybe it would be better to let it go in the hopes that someone else can enjoy it as much as you did in the past.

As I said before I will most likley buy a NSX after the first of the year. But I thought long and hard about a Ferrari and still do. But the bottom like is the cost of running a Ferrari for 3 years is the running cost for a NSX for maybe what 10 years? I guess the deciding factor has been this one question that I always go back to when I buy a car. The answer to that question is always sends me back to a NSX. Do you feel good enough about the car you want to drive it from Portland, Maine to LA, Ca. and back and not have a worry about making it. I don't know to many Ferrari owners who feel real good about making that trip. But it is "no thang' for a NSX it sounds like.

As I said before I will most likley buy a NSX after the first of the year. But I thought long and hard about a Ferrari and still do. But the bottom like is the cost of running a Ferrari for 3 years is the running cost for a NSX for maybe what 10 years? I guess the deciding factor has been this one question that I always go back to when I buy a car. The answer to that question is always sends me back to a NSX. Do you feel good enough about the car you want to drive it from Portland, Maine to LA, Ca. and back and not have a worry about making it. I don't know to many Ferrari owners who feel real good about making that trip. But it is "no thang' for a NSX it sounds like.

This... I think you've got it right here. Fair statement that 3 years Ferrari = 10 years NSX. That "factor of 3" is about right.

Also accurate, IMO, that a looong distance trip is much less terrifying in an NSX than in any Ferrari (although IMO F430 gets really close)

As for the whole "just a car" thing, I have to say that I do think by definition, *most* Ferrari, Lambo, exotic owners feel the car *is* more than "just a car"

I know tons of enormously wealthy people. Some are "car guys" and some are "not". The "non car guys" dont buy Ferraris. Why? Because it has *zero* practical application. They buy big S class Benzes, Bentleys or possibly the SL verts (for the summer cruise)

Anyone living with the weird love/hate that an exotic brings almost certainly views it as more than just A to B transportation. The tradeoffs simply wouldnt be worth it to them otherwise since the *only* value a car like that has *is* the fact that it appeals to car guys! LOL

One you have a 7 figure + net worth and are over 35, the BS of "showing off", "getting pu$$y" (which doesnt work anyway), etc etc is all left behind in the realm of adolescent fantasy and you're left with an object that costs a lot of money, that you don't really care about, that you can't really use, and that is really annoying to live with. No one who thinks cars are purely transportation, and was "together" enough to have amassed a fortune, is going to think that formula adds up ;)

Last edited:
i dont get this argument ...why would anyone in their right mind wanna drive cross country in a ferrari or an NSX or use that argument as justification for buying an exotic/supercar/sports car...i wonder if people buying minivans take into consideration how many G's it pulls on a oval before deciding whch family hauler they want.
second, if you already know that the ferrari has a high cost of maintenance then why are you even thinking about buying one...if you dont have the money OR if you have the money but cant justify the cost then why even bother thinking about buying one.
Listen people buying a ferrari or a lambo comes with the cost of ownership and those who buy one know what it costs to drive such a car....you have to realize that there is a mystique about driving one of those cars..sure you may not get it or agree with it but then again alot of people didnt get it and still dont get why anyone in their right mind want a japanse "exotic" thats barely 290 hp, comes with a tape deck and costs $90,000.

zaid

Last edited:
i dont get this argument ...why would anyone in their right mind wanna drive cross country in a ferrari or an NSX or use that argument as justification for buying an exotic/supercar/sports car...i wonder if people buying minivans take into consideration how many G's it pulls on a oval before deciding whch family hauler they want.

Taking a long road trip in an "exotic" sports car that you love is one of the most awesome life experience. Taking in hundreds of miles of curvy roads, scenic biways, and just cruising on the interstate listening to your favorite tunes is bliss.

That said, I don't necessarily think people bring up the long distance road trip factor for it to be taken literally. It's just another angle of looking at the dependability of a car.

Well, I think it's a slightly extreme example of usability. I've got two motorcycles, a CBR 929 and a Ducati ST2. The CBR is more powerful, lighter, has better brakes, better suspension, better clutch, faster steering, and I find myself on the Ducati more and more...

Because it's comfortable enough I could go cross country. Even though I only go 20 miles to work.

If a person pays 50k for a Ferrari or any other exotic you should expect to drive the thing cross country with out a worry. I don't have that worry with my Jeep and you should not have that worry with a Ferrari. I don't think anyone will say a Jeep is better built that a Ferrari. No matter what love affair you have with a car it is still a car. It may be an expensive car but it is still a car designed an built to get a person from point A to point B.

I would seriously advise against Ferrari ownership. Just rent one, even for a week you'll spend maybe 10 grand, but it will be out of your system.

Just weigh the pros and cons.

Pros - it's a decent handling car but let's be real. A 360 is going on 12 years old at this point. There are much faster cars for much cheaper. Chassis and suspension technology has improved. The F1 transmission on that 12 year old car isn't the greatest. It will be a higher sense of 'occasion' driving the Ferrari over the NSX, with the engine noise (with a modified exhaust, stock exhaust doesn't sound that special) and the fact that you are driving a Ferrari, but when it comes right down to it the experience isn't that different.

Cons - biggest for me - attention, get ready for 'how much did this cost you' questions at every gas station. You will get the occasional good conversation with a gear head, but then again more people then you think will mistake the 360 for a corvette.

Maintenance, 3k a year average. Services for F1 transmission will run into the 10 grand area. If anything other needs service expect 10 grand here 10 grand there. It might not sound like a big deal, but your car will be in the shop more then you'd like for more money then is reasonable. Within a year you will find yourself asking 'is this worth it' especially when the driving experience isn't much different then an NSX (let's be honest). In fact with the 360 F1 transmission it is probably worse.

Ferrari as a company also has a reputation it largely doesn't really deserve. They have a culture of treating road car customers badly, overcharging for service and parts, and generally producing cars which under-perform their specifications. Owners swallow it because it is their dream to own a Ferrari, but their road cars are much different then their race cars and ownership, to me, is simply not worth it.

I think if Ferrari owners are being real and true to themselves, at heart they want to be seen driving a Ferrari because it is a sign of success that most people perceive they can't afford (second hand modern Ferraris like the 360 are approaching 02+ NSX prices) and an irrational 'dream' to put a Ferrari car in their garage because of an undeserving reputation for a race car company. If you are a true gear head there are much more rewarding driving experiences from companys that respect their customers much more. I would whole-heatedly recommend Lamborghini over Ferrari for 'super car' ownership (if you desire a relatively flamboyant symbol of your success).

I'm not trying to be harsh, but that's how people will perceive it.

Back