• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

"Best" Alarm?

I've had Compustar on two cars now, both systems were fairly reliable but my issue with them were the way the remotes interfaced with the car. They were slow to react. The alarm could be going off and I could be standing right next to the car and I'd have to push the disarm button several times before the car would react to it. It would flash the antenna button as though it couldn't find the car.

All Compustars do this. There was nothing wrong with your units. If your alarm goes off you can't shut it off until after the "third" tone in the alarm sequence. So it's only about 15 seconds. Before that time you could frantically push any buttons you please on the remote and it wouldn't do anything. I can tell you didn't read your manual.

Of the many alarm/starters I installed I recommend Compustar. Brain/wiring aside the remotes on the DEI stuff are terrible.

All Compustars do this. There was nothing wrong with your units. If your alarm goes off you can't shut it off until after the "third" tone in the alarm sequence. So it's only about 15 seconds. Before that time you could frantically push any buttons you please on the remote and it wouldn't do anything. I can tell you didn't read your manual.

Of the many alarm/starters I installed I recommend Compustar. Brain/wiring aside the remotes on the DEI stuff are terrible.

Guilty as charged, I didn't read the manuals. The installers installed it and showed me how to use it and I didn't do anything beyond that.

But thanks for the information, that was truely my only gripe with the system.

That and I didn't like lock and unlock sound, too generic. But thats not really an issue.

I have done the earlier Compustars. Very good system, but the battery life of the remotes sucked. The Compustar kills the Viper SST in range.

Hi,

This thread made me think of an alarm for my NSX.

i followed the links to the clifford ones.. i liked the G5 Avantguard 5.1, but i have a couple of questions that, i hope, some of you may help me with:

- battery drain over time... as i recently installed a Odyssey PC680
- i am familiar with electrical/electronic stuff... does it come with diagrams that are good enough helping me installing it myself?

now... after this post, i'll search for vendors with prices on the unit and accessories, that by reading their description made me want them all :tongue:

EDIT: it seems there are two Avantguard models... 5.1 and 5.5... are one for US (5.1) and other for UK (5.5)?? are any differences between them?

Thanks,
Nuno

Last edited:
sorry to ressurect an old thread, but does anyone know if those vehicle gps locators are any good?

they probably put a different sticker on the unit and sold it ad the 5.5 LOL they are know to do that

I have done compustar since they started, over 10 years and they are definitely the best.

Back