• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Best bolt on performance?

Hey btw, the american standards for synthetic oil are lower than European standards (no surprise there). Apparently there was an effort to raise the US standard but a company with a lower cost product insisted that their product met the old standard and that they could call their product synthetic. Well no surprise consumers saw two equal "synthetic" products and one had a lower price and forced the other to scale back quality in order to stay competitive. This is secondhand info from a royal purple vendor rep so let me see if I can dig a bit deeper and verify it.

A couple of points about oil and oil chanages.

How can the oil change interval be longer than the oil filter change interval. How can you change the filter and NOT change the oil. OK, I guess if you are quick you can get the new filter on while only losing half a quart but you will also make a mess doing it. I think someone is misspeaking or mis-remembering.

I'll stick with my Mobil 1. There are probably oils out there that have more additives or a better molecular structure but as long as you change your oil regularly, the NSX engine should be almost like new inside after 150K miles on any good motor oil.

As to the story about inferior oils being allowed to be labeled "synthetic", either an oil is synthetic or it is refined from crude. The term has nothing to do with the quality of the product. Synthetic is synthetic.

Sorry for the rant. Back to topic.

Last edited:
The thing with royal purple is i dont see any benefits at all and i can only see the disadvantages =(. I was told by a lot of other car enthusiast in my area to use RP and they swear it's the best out there. With doing very little research i went ahead and bought a dozen cases of them (almost at wholesale prices) for the 6 cars I have at home. I was doubtful though and never got around to putting it in my nsx.

The result with my other vehicles? I was disappointed and didn't see any differences. (THAT DOES NOT mean it is not better than the other leading oils, it is just that I didn't experience anything different). Also, i love the color purple, but putting in purple stuff in your engine makes it absolutely horrible to check whether your oil is dirty or not, it almost immediately turns dark brown (which they claim due to the detergent cleaning out the engine that was left from previous mediocre oils). But on my 02 odyssey van, (that I change evey 3.5k-5k, and I used RP for 5 changes, its still the same....hmmm, i must have a VERY dirty engine.

Also, the RP seems to lose its "lubricating" effect rather quickly. When you pour that thing in the car does run more quiet, but not for long.

I have been using mobil 1, amsoil, and eneos and all those did a splendid job. Same drain interval, the amsoil and eneos still comes out with a golden glow. on my 350z (and i have no idea why... doesnt happen quite drastically to my other vehicles) when i changed with enoes, it completely transformed the vehicle, i revs faster, drove smoother, and tracked harder. i couldnt believe it myself but it even shifts better!!!

With oil, its pretty much a personal thing, so in all honesty just go with whichever brand you prefer!! But with my experience with RP, I dont think i'll be paying up for it any time soon again. Heard they have a new formula (MORE expensive stuff) call HPS, maybe thats better?

sorry for turning this into another oil discussion, i dont intend it to be. just my thoughts about RP, never did any UOA or tests besides just driving it. Thats all.:rolleyes:

UnitedNSX, thanks for the info. I was planning on using Royal Purple on my next oil change for all the reasons you mention and more. Does your handle have anything to do with United Airlines?

TURBO2GO, you gave some real good info and I appreciate it.

Nero Tenebre and KO NSX, I'll have to get up with you guys and pick your brains. We gotta get together at one of the C&Cs soon. Sorry I have not been in contact but I have been busy setting up a helicopter flight school here in Austin. Lots of work to go but it may pay off well in the long run.

Www.uawraps.com
You will see where the name comes from :)

Kenny,

From your signature you're an NA1 owner. Without question and based on this info, a good set of headers will give you best single return.

However, IMO, you really should consider the whole intake\header\exhaust as a 'single' upgrade to ensure you balance everything.

HTH

+1

When you start going "into the engine", costs go up considerably.

Back