• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Best bolt on performance?

If you could only bolt on one thing to improve the engine performance of a stock NSX what would it be? (Turbos don't count)

750cc7d9_9319.jpeg

Are you asking a serious question?

Last edited:
If you could only bolt on one thing to improve the engine performance of a stock NSX what would it be? (Turbos don't count)

If f/I dosent count, do you have a price limit you are looking at??

+2 I think everyone is going to say supercharger

I meant the tornado specifically. It was a joke, because the question is so vague. Doesn't even specify which engine. No price range, no real question about the thousands of things discussed on the forum so many times. It's like me posting a new thread and asking "hey guys what kind of nsx should I buy?" and that's it.

Well, bolt-ons from a tuner's standpoint would be intake, headers, and exhaust. Internals do not count as bolt-ons. Out of the three, I would say headers would give the most noticable gains on an NSX.

Kenny,

From your signature you're an NA1 owner. Without question and based on this info, a good set of headers will give you best single return.

However, IMO, you really should consider the whole intake\header\exhaust as a 'single' upgrade to ensure you balance everything.

HTH

Tires. I can't tell you how many NSXs I've seen where the owner upgraded the drivetrain while still using so-so tires that can't take advantage of the increased performance.

Thanks for the replies fellas. Some of you guys actually read my entire post and can see where I'm coming from with this question.:smile:

TURBO2GO, I guess I should have clarified which engine I was talking about. I was specifically talking about either the 3.0 or the 3.2 but I also said that turbos don't count. I guess your reading was kind of vague and you missed that minor detail. I didn't think it would really matter which engine I was talking about as the gains would be pretty much the same percentage wise from whichever stock engine the bolt on was applied to. It's actually a pretty simple question.:biggrin:

There's a lot of different methodologies on what should be done first to a car as a performance upgrade.

Some do suspension, some do tires and wider wheels. They are all great and will improve the characteristics of the car.

However, he asked specifically about the one engine bolt-on that would give the best gains. That bolt on is a set of headers.

Huh? Headers add 10-20 hp at best. A supercharger adds 60 hp or more.

Correct indeed. I was under the impression that he was not including FI as possible choices.

If so, then yes a supercharger would be the way to go. Hell, a 60 shot tank would be even cheaper.

I didn't think it would really matter which engine I was talking about as the gains would be pretty much the same percentage wise from whichever stock engine the bolt on was applied to. It's actually a pretty simple question.:biggrin:

It does actually matter because the NA1 engines have a more resticted, cast manifold. The NA2's have a proper header, so your gains with headers would be better on an NA1. I would skip the intake unless you want a different sound. In terms of bolt ons, as most don't consider a supercharger a bolt on, I would say header, then exhaust. Even if you get the supercharger, you will still end up getting/wanting headers to help it breath better.

Tires. I can't tell you how many NSXs I've seen where the owner upgraded the drivetrain while still using so-so tires that can't take advantage of the increased performance.

+1, tires tires tires, they are the things that keep you on the road, no matter how good or powerful your car is, you don't get anywhere without transferring it to the ground. I have seen SOOOOO many car enthusiast that spends thousands and hundreds of dollars on mods but slap on some crappy grade tires. Don't be one of those =D

Kenny,

However, IMO, you really should consider the whole intake\header\exhaust as a 'single' upgrade to ensure you balance everything.

HTH

any recommendations from brands, vendors, and web sites from those who've "been there?" Thank you.

You would have thought I posted a trick question or something. Please allow me to reiterate (TURBOS DON'T COUNT). Thanks again fellas.

What brand of whistle tips should I look for?:tongue:

Back