• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Best Currently Available Headers?

I am looking at doing an exhaust revamp here in the near future when I put a baffled pan on my car. What is considered the best headers that are reasonably available? I dont want something like Mugen that I would never find, but something that is possible. In stock by a USA company would be great, but if there is something better overseas that is decently available I would try that. I would also possibly be going ITB and maybe a larger motor in the future, so something that could handle a bigger build would be great too. Currently a 92 3.0 NSX. Also, the car has a Tubi exhaust on it, which I feel like is probably restrictive compared to others, but man it sounds good. Is there something I should be going for as far as the exhaust as well? The car has Top Speed headers on it now, I want something quality this time if its worth it. Thanks!

Was told by the guys at HQ that Pride headers are the way to go since they are slightly larger internal than the popular comptech or even the top speed that i have on my car.

Having gone pretty deep down this rabbit hole, the best advice I can give here is that nearly all NSX header designs will be within about 10 hp of each other. This is because of the shape constraints dictated by the transverse engine layout. Moving the collector around can change the powerband and torque peaks, as shown below. Different companies have different philosophies.

AM-JKLViBA73HWDaSJN-Ci4QXt3MBYpsjRIWcjCBl3WI3Rp_zezqX2Dn8EuGr6MvhZlxoYsx9QF0PxSv4rbAAj0zFVCzjj09rGCqlZ-JasOYrxYW9Cu1uZwVO_8VfLw5ZdnigiR8UFjIPfmPUI2AXNPnTLPB=w800-h533-no

Another thing to consider is that designs that are intended to maximize peak power (larger primaries and larger collectors) will have adverse street effects, primarily in the form of poor throttle response and reduced torque at low rpms. These kinds of headers are really for race cars. What you really want is a header that gives you more low end torque, good throttle response, since few of us cruise down the street at a constant 8,000 rpm.

I've always thought the Fujitsubo layout (same as Pride V1) was quite good. It had good torque and throttle response. Fujitsubo tuned this setup on its own engine dyno and it is one of the more well-dialed in setups. I know a lot of people really like the RFY setup too. However, I mostly steer people to the Comptech. Why? The fitment- it's perfect every time. IMHO it's worth giving up 2 or 3 hp at the top end to not have to grind and bend metal to get your headers to fit. For example, my Pride V2 headers need to have the outer bolt holes ground out to fit the heads.

EDIT: If you can't find the CT headers, right now I would go with the SOS. Chris has a new fabricator and those headers are fantastic. It's a similar layout to the Taitec GT-001 and Pride V2.

Last edited:
I have whatever SOS had for header/exhaust in 19....mellow, but sporty sound..not as loud as my previous comptech / GTLW combo

I recently switched from Comptech to Fujitsubo headers. Given that I purchased the Fuji headers used and at a too-good-to-pass up price, I went for it. My car is a 3.2L N/A and I'll add that the Fuji headers are larger overall but they are not CARB compliant. Given this, it would be wise to stick with CT for the Cali owners. The car is throatier and snarlier with the upgrade, one that I thoroughly enjoy. There were zero installation issues, no interference with the chassis, etc. I know that Pride used a genuine Fujistubo to copy-cat their header product and because of this, there are issues with the fitment during installation. The Fujitsubo can be purchased via RHD Japan though I am not sure about wait times etc. The RFY may have a longer than normal production time due to the fact that Yamamoto-san recently was involved in a devastating race-track accident and will be out of commission for the time being.

I compared the Fuji to my CT header on my build thread:

http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showt...cer-s-97-MCB?p=2036944&viewfull=1#post2036944

All very interesting thoughts here, I appreciate everyone's input! Honcho, great thoughts here, thanks! Sounds like you think the Comptech is great, followed by the SOS. Are the Japanese brands you like, Fuji, RFY, etc., more prone to fitment problems? Mexi, thanks as well! I always watch your build, love it! Did you notice any seat of the pants difference going from Comp to Fuji? Can you still by the Fuji new? Thanks!

As many have said there's about a 2 to 3 (4 if you include the unobtanium Mugens). I'm currently on the RF Yamamoto headers. You can find the video I did on youtube comparing these to the CTs I removed. Lots and lots of opinions on headers but [MENTION=18194]Honcho[/MENTION] is right... the variances between each other is +/- 5-10hp.

What no one has mentioned here though is how important the collector shape is internally. I have some photos I shared of a Pride unit somewhere on this forum. The collector inside was an absolute mess. No one usually brings this up because no one bothers to look internally. If I can find the photo again i'll post it here. With headers, it's also what's inside that counts. The front of a CT header sacrifices the equal shape collector for fitment and clearance purposes. I'm not a fan of the collector design on the front bank. It won't really matter on a turbo or SC car but on an NA car every little bit matters.

For any big motor build there isn't really a header made out there with larger ID pipes. The largest one was made by LoveFab. I've had a WTB ad for this set for a while now.

One day.. if I get really really bored i'd like to hire a fabricator to build my own equal lenght, larger diameter primaries, but with an expansion cone right after the collector into a 2.5" secondary main pipe. Someone makes this and i'll buy it asap.

Headers I personally would not buy:
Pride
TopSpeed
OBX

Headers I'd buy:
Lovefab
Fuji
RFY
GT-One (old RFY design)
Comptech/CT/SoS/Cantrell (but only if I was FI)

RYU, thanks for the reply as well! I know the merge collector is very important for NA, I saw the problem with the front CT header as well. Curious why only SOS if I wanted FI?

All very interesting thoughts here, I appreciate everyone's input! Honcho, great thoughts here, thanks! Sounds like you think the Comptech is great, followed by the SOS. Are the Japanese brands you like, Fuji, RFY, etc., more prone to fitment problems?

I am a big fan of the CT because of the fitment and durability. There are many owners here on the forum who have 20+ years on their CT headers with no issues. The SOS used to have some fitment problems, but I understand those are now solved in the latest design.

I put Fujitsubo at a step above all of the others because the fitment and manufacture is perfect, and they are also tuned on an engine dyno with the ability to measure exhaust pulses/harmonics and scavenging in-house at Fujitsubo's facility. You can still buy them, just like the Super Ti exhaust, which again I think is probably the best no-compromise muffler solution for the NSX.

However, my all-time #1 header is the Taitec GT-011 header system. Again, it's because of the development. Taitec developed this header to use on the NSX for the Super Taikyu race series, where the series restrictions (at the time) meant you could not modify the original engine tune. Thus, Taitec needed a header design that would maximize power and torque across the rev range on a factory engine and be as light as possible. They tested dozens of layouts until they settled on the current version. Owners saw up to 30 whp increase with this layout. The only problem is that the owner of Taitec got very sick (cancer) and stopped producing exhaust parts. However, you can buy this same layout from Pride in their V2 series, but as noted there are fitment issues. However, I'm willing to grind some metal to get that Taitec profile. :)

AM-JKLUfXZoNRGOn4gVUntiyEF8Or01Atp6gLAPbBvm-qPLhhkpLu8s0IeqTMIyXLvPwLffExgioOJLrE5-Yeax7GfCPNqTDli74qEQJyiMWei9Hs_bAe58Xkf-MdTZL2vtfgXFF-GRI3uctGI5-VxmCXNHATw=w600-h400-no

Thus, for me, my top three are Taitec/PrideV2, Fujitsubo, CT.

Last edited:
RYU, I see now, I couldnt tell that the SOS had the flat collector too at first. Honcho, thanks for the info! So where is the best place to get some Fuji headers? Yahoo Japan auctions?

RYU, I see now, I couldnt tell that the SOS had the flat collector too at first. Honcho, thanks for the info! So where is the best place to get some Fuji headers? Yahoo Japan auctions?

Hirano Tire. I bought two Super Ti's from there. ;) Best prices in Japan.

https://www.hirano-tire.co.jp/fujitsubo/paji1010.html

List price is now JPY 605,000! But Hirano Tire has it for JPY 387,200.

It looks like they are partnered with Teiwa now for international orders, but I always use Yossy at OOParts International.

Edit- Here is the Product Link for more info:
https://www.fujitsubo.co.jp/products/detail/33

Last edited:
I don't know if they are the best (for the money I think so), but I have the Pride headers on my 1994. Had them ceramic coated before installing. Three years and 4,000 miles later they are solid. No issues. Not sure why you would want to spend more.

I wonder how the oem NA2 headers stack up...:confused:...that is always a mod option for the NA1 yugo manifolds..

Yah thats a good point, I wonder how far off NA2 headers would be?

I've had both on a 3.0. NA2 headers are about 10-15 short of full-length setups, mostly at the top end. Still, you get 10-15 more than the NA1 boat anchors.

I recently fitted a complete NA2 exhaust including headers on my 3.0 L NSX and I'm very pleased with the result.
Coming from a LoveFab turbo setup, I was anxious about the mid rang torque but the result is well above expectations.
The power delivery is very smooth making the car more enjoyable on a day to day basis.
Be aware that fitting the NA2 exhaust requires modifying the support brackets!

I've had both on a 3.0. NA2 headers are about 10-15 short of full-length setups, mostly at the top end. Still, you get 10-15 more than the NA1 boat anchors.

Is most of the restriction in the headers or the muffler? Would a Pride V2 header and a NA2 exhaust on an NA1 be closer to that full exhaust setup or is there a lot to be gained by a full header back system. I've got an NA1 and like the idea of an NA2 for that OEM look but wonder if the combo of OEM muffler/Aftermarket header would be a good combo.

Is most of the restriction in the headers or the muffler? Would a Pride V2 header and a NA2 exhaust on an NA1 be closer to that full exhaust setup or is there a lot to be gained by a full header back system. I've got an NA1 and like the idea of an NA2 for that OEM look but wonder if the combo of OEM muffler/Aftermarket header would be a good combo.

Both contribute to the restriction. The manifolds are the most restrictive of the components. The NA2 exhaust is rumored to be more free-flowing than the NA1, but we only know for sure that the NA2 NSX-R exhaust is freer flowing (it's a different part number).

I've used every combo:

NA1 + OEM Muffler
NA2 + OEM Muffler
Headers + OEM Muffler
Headers + Super Ti

I found the NA2 + OEM to have the best throttle response and low-speed torque, which makes sense since there is the most backpressure with this setup. Adding headers reduced throttle response, but added power/torque above 4,000 rpm. Here is a dyno of the headers (Pride) + OEM combo on my car:

AM-JKLXbSMAuUK11abPp4-0wB3Uflq2ogRYreYKAyFciZJfPonEFN7hlQqaL38b_HdIZFRfDE6T79dSYHQjP2L8w2S7vTbLiZD9HQ4F1vAv5g2lnT2g8P5kZv8LBbrhd9Sm_efvEJRjQaLmOkXEUytMxYwKmGw=s971-no

Changing to the Super Ti muffler further reduced throttle response, but boy did the car wake up above 4,000 rpm.

*Edit* Superhatch I think you'll be happy with the Pride V2 + NA2. You'll give up about 10 hp on the top end, but the car will feel really snappy and fun to drive off the line.

Last edited:
*Edit* Superhatch I think you'll be happy with the Pride V2 + NA2. You'll give up about 10 hp on the top end, but the car will feel really snappy and fun to drive off the line.

Thanks so much for the detailed description and suggestion. I'll start planning on that route.

Looking for headers as well for 1991

I have looked all over for a set of headers and seems like Chris at SOS makes a great product, just curious if there may be a better one for $1,800.00 that SOS is charging. I can order from Japan I am not in a time crunch, just would like to get the best i can for 1800.00.

Back