• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Best Motoring Video on the NSX vs GTR and 911 Turbo S

In this comparison NA1 R quicker in tight road test

Last edited:
They tested the updated 2019 in a revenge battle in Hot Version Vol. 157. No english sub version yet that I can find. Best trailer I have ever seen btw lol. The announcer got me pumped up for the revenge battle and the touge and I don't even understand Japanese!

They sporadically release new videos from DVDs onto YouTube. It may be months or years until it's there. Didn't see it in their premium YouTube channel yet. So I bought the DVD which is arriving in about 10 days from Japan :smile:

I have to think it was exaggerated for show or dislike for the hybrid system :) there was none of that drama at the Honda proving center where pro drivers beat the crap out of these cars last winter. I came away impressed enough to order an orange one with powdbyrice thereafter. Eagerly I await for it to be delivered soon. I also curious to see the full rematch Videos in the meantime.

I almost got the impression the old school drivers in the video didn't know how to drive a modern car, especially a hybrid performance car. Wonder how they'd fare with a McLaren P1 or Porsche 918.

I almost got the impression the old school drivers in the video didn't know how to drive a modern car, especially a hybrid performance car. Wonder how they'd fare with a McLaren P1 or Porsche 918.

I think you hit the nail on the head. Recall Tsuchiya gave the car 100/100 for "winding road" and sporty driving, but bagged on it for interfering with his inputs at the limit. Of course, 99.9% of NSX owners do not have the car control talent that he does so, for them, the computer nannies are a good thing- the stability control and SH-AWD are hardwired to intervene well before the true limits of the car to keep the driver safe. But for Tsuchiya, it interferes with his ability to wring the maximum performance out of the chassis. I think the GT3 version is closer to what he would prefer... All that said, I'm pretty sure Dori Dori said he was going to buy one.

In the video the complaint with the NSX was that they couldn't totally disengage VSA. That was the cause of the awkward cornering attitude the NSX displayed. As pro drivers they need the car to slide and attain high yaw angles to achieve fast lap times. The NSX prevented them from doing this, which caused them angst and certainly hurt the NSX's track performance.

As pro drivers, shouldn't they also be able to learn/adjust on the fly to get the best performance out of whatever they're driving?

In the video the complaint with the NSX was that they couldn't totally disengage VSA. That was the cause of the awkward cornering attitude the NSX displayed. As pro drivers they need the car to slide and attain high yaw angles to achieve fast lap times. The NSX prevented them from doing this, which caused them angst and certainly hurt the NSX's track performance.

from posts elsewhere

In “Track” mode, the VSA system can also be completely disabled by the driver.

haven’t checked the menus on my car but I assume this is possible and they have disabled it for the comparo

I actually bought the Hot Version v157 video with the 2019 NSX comparison. I haven't translated the video yet, but the cars were a 2019 NSX on Sportcontact 6 tires, 2019 GT-R Premium on Dunlop GT600 tires, and a 2019 991.2 Carrera S on P Zero N1 tires.

Individual lap results were:
1) 911 - 1'02"488
2) NSX - 1'03"589
3) GT-R - 1'03"654

There were three different drivers for all three cars, the DK "green" guy in the NSX, and two others for 911 and GT-R.

The "Green" guy drove the NSX (like last time), and he also tries the 911 along with a different guy, and they both got about the same lap times. So hopefully the above results are not due to different drivers.

In the earlier video, it was a 991.2 Turbo S and a GT-R track edition, so not the same cars this time.

The 911 was pretty impressive relative to the other two, especially including it's base price of 105K USD.

The "battle" between the three was (with best lap time):

1) NSX - 1'03"342 L2
2) 911 - 1'03"085 L2
3) GT-R - 1'03"650 L4

Overall, the NSX seems to have of the same problems on track as before in the earlier video. Doesn't seem like it wants to allow the traction control to be fully turned off, and regularly intervenes at an awkward time.

In terms of what the 2019 changes mean for non-track street performance in the video, it's hard to say. Translating the commentary may be helpful. Or maybe they will post it to YouTube soon :)

Back