• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Best place(s) to buy a TV?

I'm buying a new TV in the next week or so. I've read several threads on here about what TV's good and not. But where does everyone actually buy their TV's from? It seems Costco is a pretty popular choice.

I don't want to spend more than $2,000, but obviously want to get the biggest screen possible. I'm open to LCD, Plasma or even rear projection. I'm leaning more towards something to mount on the wall as I have a 1 year old that is just walkng and loves to touch everything. :smile: Thanks in advance everyone.

We bought a 32" LCD from Sam's Club, and a 46" LCD from TigerDirect.com

Both were good purchases, so no regrets going either way.
Brian

Got mine from Tiger Direct because Best Buy wouldn't price match. Happy so far. Costco has good deals to now and then. I'd have bought from them but they didn't have what I was looking for.

If you have an HH Gregg, i'd get it from there. That's where I got all my TV's from. They wheel and deal. After several models, both plasma and LCD, I'm partial to Sony LCD's.

Or, try and get BB to pricematch amazon. Most times they won't, but every once in a while they'll crack.

You can research the specific tv at

www.avsforum.com

and then check prices from their online vendors such as Visual Apex, Invision Displays and Plasma Concepts. I have purchased a plasma from Invision Displays with no issues........plus got a great deal on a Panasonic plasma. Usually, these vendors tend to be a couple hundred dollars cheaper than brick and motar stores, while still being properly authorized by the manufacturer. This disadvantage is obviously shipping.

www.buydig.com

Most of the time free shipping and will be at least 30% lower than any brick and mortar shop I've seen.

I just bought a 58" Plasma. Came busted up pretty good; sent out a new one the same day.

I don't want to spend more than $2,000, but obviously want to get the biggest screen possible. I'm open to LCD, Plasma or even rear projection.

Frys 67" 1080P Samsung L.E.D DLP hdtv $1799.00
http://shopping.dallasnews.com/ROP/ads.aspx?advid=2519&adid=6574132&subid=22397165&type=

Circuitcity.com <!-- / icon and title -->Mitsubishi 57" DLP HDTV $999.99
http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/Sear...594k1971&affiliateid=k1971&mid=sduidp0t862753

Sharp Aquos 52" 1080p LCD HDTV $1449
http://www.fotoconnection.com/p71481-sharp-lc-52d64u-52-aquos-flat-panel-lcd-tv.html
<!-- / icon and title -->

I bought my plasma a few years ago from http://www.plasmabay.com/

Then a couple of years ago when I was looking for an LCD, I noticed Bestbuy was selling a particular model that plasmabay had. I went to the manager of the store and asked for a pricematch since BB's was much higher. Long story short, BB came very close to plasmabay's price and gave me an extended in-home warranty (which, ironically, I'm using right now to get that LCD repaired).

But like others have said, avsforums is good but don't always rule out BB for their high prices. I think the price is negotiable if you do it right

have had good experience with Samsung HD LCDS frm J&R Music World.

Got a 46" 1080p LCD for about 1500 shipped earlier this year. Prices have since gone down.

I have a new Sharp Aquos 42" and it geat in fact it's what I use to serf the web / play games on. Looks better then any other "computer" screen I have used.

Purchased a Samsung 40" HD. Great reviews. Purchased it online at WalMart. That was a terrible experience.

If you monitor slickdeals.net for a few weeks you're bound to find a great deal on a TV. The best deals expire quickly though.

Sam's (or perhaps Walmart), for the simple reason that if anything goes wrong with it, you just bring it back and get another one. I know, you can do that elsewhere, too, but not for as long a stretch without buying an expensive extended warrantee.

Last edited:
If you can find what you're looking for at Costco, it's hard to beat them. Besides 90-day return policy, you automatically get 2 year warranty from date of purchase through "Costco Concierge Service".

Since most televisions come with a 1 year manufacturer's warranty, it's like getting a 1 year extended warranty for free.

Got mine from Costco. Their inventory changes a lot but sometimes they have great deals and returns have always been easy with them.

I bought a 50" Panny plasma from Vanns.com. It was a steal and I am a happy camper. I have bought other things from JandR.com over the years and have also been pleased.

If you're referring to the cost of shipping, this is usually offset by the advantage of not paying sales tax.

This is true......but if I'm not mistaken, one can only take advantage of this loophole if the consumer is not a resident of the state in which the selling company is incorporated in.

If you can find what you're looking for at Costco, it's hard to beat them. Besides 90-day return policy, you automatically get 2 year warranty from date of purchase through "Costco Concierge Service".

Since most televisions come with a 1 year manufacturer's warranty, it's like getting a 1 year extended warranty for free.

+1 on Costco. In addition to getting the two years Concierge warranty, you get an additional year if you purchase w/ an AMEX card. So, purchase w/ AMEX and you get the two year warranty + one more year. That alone is at least a $300 value; essentially a free extended warranty.

Finally, if you have the Costco AMEX or are a Executive Member, you get a 3% rebate at the end of the year.

This is true......but if I'm not mistaken, one can only take advantage of this loophole if the consumer is not a resident of the state in which the selling company is incorporated in.

Close. In CA (and some other states) if you purchase something from out of state and use it in CA, the state wants you to report that on your taxes so they can collect a "Use Tax". Most (probably 99%) of people don't report out of state purchases, it's hard for the State to track, so you don't hear about it much.

For example, CA collects sales tax (really a "use tax") on out of state vehicle purchases. Since you have to register the car, they can track it and tax you on it.

The other twist on sales tax is that, if the company you are purchasing from has facilities in your state, they must charge sales tax on your order. That's why you pay sales tax on purchases from websites like bestbuy.com That's also why Discount Tire set up a separate division, Discount Tire Direct, for its mail order purchases, so they can avoid applying sales tax to internet purchases.

best buy with an employee discount would be the very absolute best, or if you can get them to price match or atleast get close to a low price online/other store than that would be nice, because best buy extended warrantees kick ass!

Back