• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Best tires for Wear/Noise/Value?

BF GOODRICH KDW's wasnt on your list.

Khumo is like KIA you get what you pay for.

my rear tires are like 250 each. I wish they were 49.99 like the Khumos

its an NSX by the best man. and you will never have issues inless you let them go bald like another Member did and his wife wrecked his yellow/yellow yikes.

BF GOODRICH KDW's wasnt on your list.
I'm not a fan. Seems like the main difference between the KDW vs the RE760 and S.drive is that the KDW is more expensive and noisier.

Khumo is like KIA you get what you pay for.
Not true at all. Some tire brands (e.g. Michelin) are more expensive than others (e.g. Kumho) for the same level of quality. That's why those expensive brands spend so much in advertising.

Like all major brands, Kumho makes a lot of different kinds of tires - supersticky track tires, supersticky street tires, longer-lasting street tires, tires for all seasons - and many of them are among the very best in their category. You need to look at the priorities and preferences of the particular owner, and which tire meets those the best. If that tire happens to be a Kumho, get it!

I was going to put RE-11's on my car after having them on my S2000 and LOVING them, but I opted for the RE760's for the NSX due to the fact that I don't know how quickly I'm going to wear them, and I wanted to try to get good life out of them. So far they've been great.

I think you may all be missing the boat here.

I just got my set of Yokohama Advan AD08 Rs and they are incredible. Quiet, sticky and very easy to catch once they lose grip. It has the Orange Oil Technology that works great when they are cold or hot. I wouldn't use them in near freezing temps though they do have Micro Silica to strengthen wet traction.

I had to order the front set from Demon Tweeks in the UK because they are not available in the US in 205/16 sizes but it still cost me less than $1,000 for a set of 4 (I ordered the rears from Tire Rack). Maybe not cheap but not bad for the best. And like Shawn said, its an NSX, you don't want to go cheap.

Last edited:
I'm growing tired of my noisy Khumo Ecsta XS's.

I look up my tire sizes on tirerack (205/45-16 and 245/40-17) and I'm seeing tires ranging in prices $74-$167 each. I have no interest in tracking my car, so ultra high performance isn't that big of a concern for me. I'm looking for excellent wear, value, and low road noise, as 99% of the time I'm just cruising around at normal speeds. This car will never see snow, but will see the occasional rain shower when caught in it. What tire should I choose?

Here are some I see on tirerack... (prices - front/rear)

Sumitomo HTR Z II - $74/85
Dunlop Direzza DZ101 - $82/110
General G-MAX AS-03 $89/111
Firestone Firehawk Wide Oval Indy 500 - $77/127
BFGoodrich g-Force Sport COMP-2 - $92/118
Yokohama S.drive - $104/121
BFGoodrich g-Force Super Sport A/S - $105/137
Bridgestone Potenza RE760 Sport - $102/152
Continental ExtremeContact DWS - $119/148
Toyo Proxes R1R - $146/167

Search results link...

Thanks everyone.

Why the 205-45-16?
I just got a set of stock 96 rims and having hard time finding matching set of oem size 215-45-16 front 245-40-17 rear...

I did notice going 205 opens up a lot more choices...

I guess that is the way to go if you don't want to pay $1000+ for the re010's....

They're not too stretched?

Why the 205-45-16?
I just got a set of stock 96 rims and having hard time finding matching set of oem size 215-45-16 front 245-40-17 rear...

I did notice going 205 opens up a lot more choices...

I guess that is the way to go if you don't want to pay $1000+ for the re010's....

They're not too stretched?

205/45-16's work just fine on stock 16" wheels.i have them in potenza re-11's (which annoyingly are not now available in the stock 245/40-17's that i will need to replace soon in the back.) I got them after getting a comfort level on here that they would work.and you're right,it does open up more choices,there's almost nothing in the stock 215/45-16 size.

Last edited:
205/45-16's work just fine on stock 16" wheels.i have them in potenza re-11's (which annoyingly are not now available in the stock 245/40-17's that i will need to replace soon in the back.) I got them after getting a comfort level on here that they would work.and you're right,it does open up more choices,there's almost nothing in the stock 215/45-16 size.

Cool.. Thanks, that's prolly what I'm gonna do.

I think you may all be missing the boat here.

I just got my set of Yokohama Advan AD08 Rs and they are incredible. Quiet, sticky and very easy to catch once they lose grip. It has the Orange Oil Technology that works great when they are cold or hot. I wouldn't use them in near freezing temps though they do have Micro Silica to strengthen wet traction.

I had to order the front set from Demon Tweeks in the UK because they are not available in the US in 205/16 sizes but it still cost me less than $1,000 for a set of 4 (I ordered the rears from Tire Rack). Maybe not cheap but not bad for the best. And like Shawn said, its an NSX, you don't want to go cheap.

I misstated in my earlier post. I purchased these tires in 215/45-16 (not 205) for my stock 2000 front rims. Right now they are only 96 UK pounds which is $157 each and shipping was around another $100 from the UK for a set of 2. Also Tire Rack carries these tires in either 245/40-17 or 255/40-17 for the rear set. I got the 255s and couldn't be happier. Anyway, I think these are probably some of the very best tires available for any car and its great you can get them for the NSX's OEM wheels if you are willing to buy from the UK for the fronts.

Last edited:
I misstated in my earlier post. I purchased these tires in 215/45-16 (not 205) for my stock 2000 front rims. Right now they are only 96 UK pounds which is $157 each and shipping was around another $100 from the UK for a set of 2. Also Tire Rack carries these tires in either 245/40-17 or 255/40-17 for the rear set. I got the 255s and couldn't be happier. Anyway, I think these are probably some of the very best tires available for any car and its great you can get them for the NSX's OEM wheels if you are willing to buy from the UK for the fronts.
Why aren't the 215/45-16 Yoko AD08R's available in the US?

Why aren't the 215/45-16 Yoko AD08R's available in the US?
I'm guessing it's because they hadn't sold all that many high-performance tires in that size in the past in this market.

Still, it's not the end of the world, because there are already five other excellent supersticky tires available to choose from for NSX's with 16"/17" wheels:

Bridgestone Potenza RE-11A (205/45-16 front)
Hankook Ventus R-S3 (Version 2) (205/45-16 front)
Toyo Proxes R1R (205/45-16 front)
Kumho Ecsta XS (215/45-16 front)
Falken Kumho RT-615K (215/45-16 front)

That's about the order I'd rank them, too. But all five offer outstanding performance, similar to the AD08R (in the dry, at least; the AD08R is also very good in the wet, whereas the XS isn't).

I'm guessing it's because they hadn't sold all that many high-performance tires in that size in the past in this market.

Still, it's not the end of the world, because there are already five other excellent supersticky tires available to choose from for NSX's with 16"/17" wheels:

Bridgestone Potenza RE-11A (205/45-16 front)
Hankook Ventus R-S3 (Version 2) (205/45-16 front)
Toyo Proxes R1R (205/45-16 front)
Kumho Ecsta XS (215/45-16 front)
Falken Kumho RT-615K (215/45-16 front)

That's about the order I'd rank them, too. But all five offer outstanding performance, similar to the AD08R (in the dry, at least; the AD08R is also very good in the wet, whereas the XS isn't).
How do these tires compare to the Yoko? Tire Rack is very low on the Yoko AD08R rear tires for the NSX as well. I wonder if they are coming out with a new tire to replace AD08R?

How do these tires compare to the Yoko?
Already answered, above:

all five offer outstanding performance, similar to the AD08R (in the dry, at least; the AD08R is also very good in the wet, whereas the XS isn't).

Tire Rack is very low on the Yoko AD08R rear tires for the NSX as well. I wonder if they are coming out with a new tire to replace AD08R?
That's extremely unlikely in the near future, since they just introduced the AD08R within the past year.

Again, though, if you want the performance that the AD08R offers, and it's for 16"/17" wheels on an NSX, buy one of the five tires listed above instead, and you'll probably be very happy with any of them. (I recommend getting all four tires from one of those models, and not mixing two AD08R rears with two fronts from one of the above.)

You are correct it appears the rear stock 245/40-17's aren't available in the RE-11's....

How are the AD08R's working out? I have inquired about the 215/45-16 AD08R's US availability with a Tire Rack contact. If you source the fronts from Demon Tweeks & the rears from Tire Rack you are looking at $500 for the fronts shipped & $482 shipped for the rears. If you go with the Bridgestone RE-11 in 205/45-16 front & 255/40-17 rears it is $733 shipped from Tire Rack.

Last edited:
alignment determines wear

The discussion so far has been mostly about performance (dry and wet and cold), and a little about noise.

I've had both XS and AD08, and found the XS to have excellent dry traction, crappy wet traction, and lots of noise as they wear. The Yoko's are very quiet and have very good dry and wet traction. It doesn't get cold here, so can't comment on that! :tongue:

But about wear: all tires that you'd want to put on an NSX will wear faster than any tire you'd put on the family sedan. So don't expect 50K miles!

The biggest determinant to wear on the NSX is alignment. If you set up with the factory values, expect your tires to wear out in 8-10K miles. But since you indicated you don't track the car, you don't need that alignment. For street and canyon driving, a much less aggressive setting will work just fine, and about triple your tire lifetime. PM me if you're interested in the specs I'm using (based on past posts here on Prime).

How are the AD08R's working out? I have inquired about the 215/45-16 AD08R's US availability with a Tire Rack contact. If you source the fronts from Demon Tweeks & the rears from Tire Rack you are looking at $500 for the fronts shipped & $482 shipped for the rears. If you go with the Bridgestone RE-11 in 205/45-16 front & 255/40-17 rears it is $733 shipped from Tire Rack.
Tire Rack says they can't get the AD08R's in the 215/45-R16 size in the US market.... Seems like Demon Tweeks is the only way to get them here in that size.

Back