• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Beware the tire kicker - no good deed goes unpunished

As a general rule I do not sell used car parts - and I have a lot. But I I am always looking for extra parts - particularly for my NSX. While scanning the parts for sale I accidentally clicked on WTB and saw a post looking for OEM wheels- I have a huge collection of wheels from all sorts of cars, including my 97 OEMs that came off at about 6K miles (I just turned 17K ) so they have been collecting dust for 10 years. They are in great shape no curb rash and only a few surface scratches - probably occurring after they were taken off.

I had this crazy thought that maybe it was better that someone could enjoy these wheels instead of them sitting in my barn- so I responded to the post-

Then the tire kicker PM me - we set on a price then he asked for more pictures which I gave him , then asked if I could unmount the tires before shipping - although that was not my plan, I told him I would unmount Saturday and ship Monday (today) - he was going to PayPal me a partial payment when I was at the UPS store. I packaged up the wheels this morning and went to the UPS store and texted him - no response then after an hour I headed home to receive an email stating he was in discussions with someone else for a set for $200 less-

The moral for me is if you do not know the person do not spend money or time until you see the cash- No problem with negotiating a price- but having me run around and take a morning off work is very low IMHO. never mind the $50 to demount the tires.

Sorry for the Rant - but I guess this is why I have a barnful of parts - not worth the effort to sell

[MENTION=14669]RichM[/MENTION] that is very unfortunate and I'm sorry to hear that, just a thought but since the wheels are already boxed up and ready to ship and you have several photos of them already it may be worth creating a FS ad for them and getting them sold. That way not all is lost.

You have the dimensions of the boxes and after being at UPS I'm guessing you have the weight of each box. It's pretty quick to jump on the UPS website and punch up a shipping label once you have an interested buyer and know their shipping address. That way too you'll have the final price and once the money shows up in PayPal you can purchase the shipping label and print it out at home or what I do is just take a screenshot of the mobile code and then have the UPS Store print out the label for me when I drop off the package.

Hopefully this unfortunate situation can still turn out alright for you in the end.

I have had piles of stuff accumulated over 23 years...I have only sold to prime members who I knew....screw the random cuckoos...

[MENTION=14669]RichM[/MENTION] that is very unfortunate and I'm sorry to hear that, just a thought but since the wheels are already boxed up and ready to ship and you have several photos of them already it may be worth creating a FS ad for them and getting them sold. That way not all is lost.

You have the dimensions of the boxes and after being at UPS I'm guessing you have the weight of each box. It's pretty quick to jump on the UPS website and punch up a shipping label once you have an interested buyer and know their shipping address. That way too you'll have the final price and once the money shows up in PayPal you can purchase the shipping label and print it out at home or what I do is just take a screenshot of the mobile code and then have the UPS Store print out the label for me when I drop off the package.

Hopefully this unfortunate situation can still turn out alright for you in the end.

Posted for sale- as they were already dismounted and boxed !

I have had piles of stuff accumulated over 23 years...I have only sold to prime members who I knew....screw the random cuckoos...
++++1:wink:

.or a d#$k kicker:eek:

Back