• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Bid For NSXPO 2003

hejo wrote:

It sures seem as though the next one should be on the west coast.

I bet you that the folks on the East Coast feel the opposite - especially since the West Coast has already had an NSXPO; whereas, the East Coast hasn't.

I posted a message on the list the other week to see if people would be interested in mid-atlantic - the Raleigh, NC area with Virginia International Raceway (VIR) as the track.

Response was very good for attendance interest - people from CA to IL to FL e-mailed me saying they would definitely attend such an event (these are people who have been to most of the other NSXPOs so I believe them).

However I didn't get anyone else from this area offering to help. Part of the problem is that we don't have a huge owner population near the VA/NC border - most VA owners are near DC. I would be very much willing to help organize such an event but obviously I can't do it all myself.

I like this proposal for a lot of reasons (beyond just the fact that it's reasonably close to me).

1. VIR is one of the best tracks in the country. It doesn't have the name recogniztion of many other tracks because it was just completely rebuilt and re-opened last year after being closed for a couple decades. See http://www.virclub.com

2. There is a LOT to do in the Triangle (Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill NC area), both for owners and spouses.

3. Hotel rates are very reasonable, especially near the track.

4. RDU is a decent size international airport close to the city. Not to big it's a hassle, not so small your flight options are too limited.

5. Any Floriday-area attendees who didn't want to drive could take the Auto Train from Orlando to DC, then drive just 3 or so hours down from DC to Raleigh.

Originally posted by nsxtasy:
I think NSXPO 2001 showed us that we can hold an event at a track that's unforgiving and still have a success. I wouldn't discount Sears Point for that reason; in fact, I would love to have the chance to drive Sears Point.

Ken, van you share if there were any incidents, spins, 2 wheels off at NSXPO 2001 track days? How many runoff areas were there? At Sears Point, where we would most likely be allowed to drive the short circuit (not the one that NASCAR drives, there is only one run off area after between turn 4 and 5, everything else is a concrete wall!

You are not the only one that would love to drive Sears Point
smile.gif
, evenus locals find it hard to get it unless you belong to a big car club or join clubs that race there ....

Hrant,

I believe the $50 million improvement includes added runoff room.

IMO, Sears is not as scary as u describe. But I remember when it was my first time there, I was intimidated as hell. The cool thing about walls is, people sees it. And this prompted them to slows down.

I still believe Sears is definitely a great place to hold NSXPO. It is a beautiful track and very challenging. There are lots of places around to visit. Like wine country Sonoma/Napa. Sausalito, and the city itself, San francisco.

Ken, can you share if there were any incidents, spins, 2 wheels off at NSXPO 2001 track days? How many runoff areas were there?

From what I recall there were no spins, per se. Most of the cars that went off were on track tires after it began to light rain on the first day. Most of the cars shod with track tires remained parked for the day. That said, they really didn't spin. When the drivers hit the brakes, the car just kept going straight into the gravel. That I know of, this happened at least in T1 and T12, both of which are at the end of long straight where on dry pavement terminal speeds of 125-135 were common. There were two "notable" episode in T12. One car's rear came around while going through the turn and he went backwards into the gravel on the outside of the turn. No damage. The other driver turned-in too soon and did a mini spin on the wet grass inside the turn. Very minor LF fender damage hitting the tires.

Fortunately, there was not a *single* incident at the dreaded Kink, where even the slightest of two-wheels-off would've resulted in a totaled NSX thanks to concrete retaining walls. After the event, one of the track officials congratulated us as having the safest car club event at Road America he could remember in recent years.

To answer the last question, there were runoff areas at the end of the straights and / or just on the other side of a potentially nasty turn. The runoff areas all consisted of gravel with tires barriers behind.

PS - no, I am not Ken to whom Hrant addressed his question. I just thought to post first so I can catch up to him in qty.
wink.gif

There were a couple big spins... one heavily modified NSX with a big brake kit and proportioning valve had dialed more bias to the rear right before it started to rain, then as soon as he got on the brakes in the braking zone for turn 1 at the end of the main straight the rear locked and came around on him. This happened at well over 120 MPH, but luckily he spun down the track and then off into the sand with no damage, just a really dirty car.

There was a decent spin in turn 5 at the bottom of the downhill straight.

There were a bunch of people as Andy said who went off the track in 12 because they came in too hot for one reason or another. This was by far the most off-the-track spot, and luckily it has a good runoff space with a sand trap.

I believe there was another spinoff somewhere in the back half of the track because I was driving around up there looking for a good photo vantage point and I heard what was either a spinoff or the world's best save after going into a massive skid...

Only one car had body damage that I know of, a dented nose. Another one had tire and/or wheel damage from an off-track excursion.

Originally posted by Andrie Hartanto:
Hrant,

I believe the $50 million improvement includes added runoff room.

....... Uless they are changing the track course ..... I doubt it since the short circuit has no room to make runoff; the g loads are almost always facing a wall or a hill except for 4-5 and 8 but hardly anyone loses it there ......

IMO, Sears is not as scary as u describe. But I remember when it was my first time there, I was intimidated as hell.

....... you just made my point Andrie
smile.gif
and you had track experience before going to Sears Point. Think of all the newbies ....

The cool thing about walls is, people sees it. And this prompted them to slows down.

...... If they see it and their adrenaline is under check .... remember you are asking a newbie to be able to assess the environment, the distances, the speed, the unforgicing braking zones, and car control all on a demanding track ..... intimidating, heck yes!

I still believe Sears is definitely a great place to hold NSXPO. It is a beautiful track and very challenging.

..... We are not disagreeing. I am just reinforcing your last two words and perhaps opening a dialogue as to how we can prepare for a safe track event by required some prior car clinic or track experience.

There are lots of places around to visit. Like wine country Sonoma/Napa. Sausalito, and the city itself, San francisco.

...... Hey, what about Sacramento? we have light rail, an old town that looks better than the new town, less traffic, free water for tourists, a few museums but check if they open at regular hours, a symphony or orchestra that may or may not be performing depending on whether the director has been fired or they are in chapter 11, did I forget any other noteworthy assets, oh yeah the Capitol .... LOLL

Originally posted by Hrant:
...... Hey, what about Sacramento? we have light rail, an old town that looks better than the new town, less traffic, free water for tourists, a few museums but check if they open at regular hours, a symphony or orchestra that may or may not be performing depending on whether the director has been fired or they are in chapter 11, did I forget any other noteworthy assets, oh yeah the Capitol .... LOLL

Now don't scare people off with that
wink.gif

About VIR...

Lud said "However I didn't get anyone else from this area offering to help."

I would be very happy to help out. VIR is definately world class, and the Grandview Resort in Greensboro is just 1 hour south of the track on Hwy 29. Between the Triangle and the Triad, there is a ton of stuff to see and do. But I wonder about two in the Southeast area this close together.

------------------
Gary Yates
1995 Red/Tan

I know the Triangle is the area including Raleigh, Durham, and Chapel Hill, along with the Research Triangle Park.

What's the Triad?

The Triad, or also known as the Piedmont Triad, includes Greensboro, Winston-Salem, and High Point. It truly does form a triangle, but somebody already had that one. It is the confluence of I-40 and I-85. It is also along one of the major Amtrak routes to the Northeast. Do they still ship cars?

------------------
Gary Yates
1995 Red/Tan

Originally posted by Lud:
I posted a message on the list the other week to see if people would be interested in mid-atlantic - the Raleigh, NC area with Virginia International Raceway (VIR) as the track.

YES! A track I only heard about when I was young, and have wanted to visit since it reopened. I truly didn't believe that such an incredible track could be resurrected these days of made for TV fish-bowl "racing". Spend a while on their web site. Presumably we would have the run of the entire course using whichever layout we wanted.

Originally posted by sjs:
YES! A track I only heard about when I was young, and have wanted to visit since it reopened. I truly didn't believe that such an incredible track could be resurrected these days of made for TV fish-bowl "racing".

The gentleman bankrolling the 8-figure restoration has a personal passion for vintage racing, so making the track fun to drive has been his primary concern from the start. It is nice to have an enthusiast driving a project like that instead of an accountant or marketing department...

[This message has been edited by Lud (edited 08 December 2001).]

The west coast's turn?

I thought the west coast, as in CA, already had a turn in 1999.

Those of us here on the east coast (NYC, Philly, Baltimore, Washington, etc) haven't had a turn at all.

If the thought is to "share the wealth" I would think the northeastern part of the US would make sense.

On the other hand I suppose there's something to be said for keeping the NSXPOs in the center of the county so as to minimize the distance for all.

Just a thought.

-Jim

------------------
1992 NSX Red/Blk 5 spd #0330
1991 NSX Blk/Blk Auto #3070 (Sold)
1974 Vette 454 4 spd Wht/Blk
Looking for 76-79 Honda Accords

Originally posted by Jimbo:
The west coast's turn?

I thought the west coast, as in CA, already had a turn in 1999....

jimbo, I guess you dont count georgia (nsxpo '00) as being on the east coast?

Originally posted by Jimbo:

On the other hand I suppose there's something to be said for keeping the NSXPOs in the center of the county so as to minimize the distance for all.

Except for those living in the midwest, right?

My suggestion would be for all interested to put a party together and submit a proposal. Best proposal wins - then perhaps consideration given the following year to the opposite coast? just a thought.

A novel idea.
wink.gif
Seriously, that is exactly how it works. Not the "it's my turn" vs "no, it's my turn" debate on this forum. All of you bring up strong and valid points. Now go do something about it, before it is too late.

[This message has been edited by AndyVecsey (edited 13 December 2001).]

Back