• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Bid For NSXPO 2003

Hi guys, since I missed Laguna Seca, how bout holding one in Sears Point in 2003? Sears Point is in $50 million modernization plan should be the premier track in the country.

If the response is good, I don't mind volunteering to organize the event. Of course assuming I have other volunteers to help as well.

Hrant was thinking the same thing. I'd be interested in heading up the Race Queen committee, or another more useful position.

-- Chris

------------------
SoS_logo.gif

www.ScienceofSpeed.com - Click for more info

sears would be an excellent venue. another volunteer to help.

also, I have some availible space for an open track day at sears on 1/26. $185. There is rain insurance, so if we get rained out you will get your $$ back less about $25 to cover the insurance. private me if interested.

How about something on the East Coast?

Lime Rock?

Watkins Glen?

I don't think there's been a NSXPO in this area.

-Jim

------------------
1992 NSX Red/Blk 5 spd #0330
1991 NSX Blk/Blk Auto #3070 (Sold)
1974 Vette 454 4 spd Wht/Blk
Looking for 76-79 Honda Accords

Feel free to contact Peter Mills, the Northeast Region's representative on the board of the NSX Club of America, at [email protected] to discuss.

For the folks in Northern California, the Northwest Region's rep is Jacqueline Berthiaume, who can be reached at [email protected].

97 - Colorado

98 - Ohio

99 - California

00 - Georgia

01 - Wisconsin

02 - Texas, if the directors don't shoot each other
biggrin.gif

03 - possibly a geographic area that has not already hosted an NSXPO, so as to "share the wealth"?

Originally posted by AndyVecsey:
97 - Colorado
98 - Ohio
99 - California
00 - Georgia
01 - Wisconsin
02 - Texas, if the directors don't shoot each other
biggrin.gif

03 - possibly a geographic area that has not already hosted an NSXPO, so as to "share the wealth"?

97 - central (but closer to west)
98 - central (but closer to east)
99 - west
00 - east
01 - central
02 - central
03 - looks like west would be next
biggrin.gif

possibly a geographic area that has not already hosted an NSXPO, so as to "share the wealth"?

There are lots of different considerations in picking a place for NSXPO. That's one of them. So is having it near NSX'ers who haven't had it near them in a while. So is our ability to get reasonable dates for the racetrack event (I hear getting dates at Sears Point is not easy). And a bunch of other factors, too.

Of course, the club board can only choose among bid proposals that are submitted, and these depend on people to do the legwork to come up with an acceptable proposal. So by all means, if you are interested in forming a planning committee to come up with a proposal, please feel free to do so. If you feel that there are reasons why your favorite location should host NSXPO 2003, state them in your proposal so they will be taken into consideration by the club's board.

The selection process is described in Alex's e-mail, copied below:

"-----Original Message-----
[mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Alex A. Vizcarra
Sent: Thursday, November 29, 2001 11:47 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: [NSX] Bids for NSXPO 2003

Hello all,

I would like to announce that the NSXCA Board of Directors is now accepting bids for venues of NSXPO 2003. If you want a future NSXPO to be held close to your locale, now is the time to put together a proposal to make that happen.

NSXPO 2002 has already been decided to happen at and around the Dallas-Fort Worth metropolis, Texas, from November 6 to 10, 2002. The deadline for the submission of bids is February 28, 2002, and the venue will be decided upon by April 30, 2002. The board reserves the right to modify the deadlines if the situation warrants it.

For proper consideration, and to increase the chances of getting your proposal approved, here are some of the things that we are looking for, in no particular order:

1. A good overview of the event, a vision of how you would like it to happen.

2. Target date.

3. A feasibility study of the area, which includes but is not limited to:

a. Which track(s) are you looking into renting?
b. What are your chances of actually getting the track rented on your targeted dates?
c. A survey of different hotels for possible use as event HQ, including rates.
d. A description of the area where the event will be held, including the expected weather that time of the year, airline and airport accessibility, presence of good driving roads, etc.
e. The ability of the event organizers to control the weather, road conditions, and other natural phenomena at the caravan routes to and from the event, and at the event weekend itself <VBG> <sorry, couldn't resist>.

4. A tentative schedule of events.

5. Proposed organization of event leadership, and planning committee. It is reasonable to expect that whoever submits the proposal, he/she/they will take an active role in the planning of this event, and are committed into making this happen.

There are two ways you can submit your proposals. The first is via email, by sending it as an MS WORD document attachment to the NSXCA Board at:

[email protected]

or via postal mail to:

NSXCA
PO Box A3416
Chicago, IL 60690-3416

If you are sending your proposal via postal mail, it is appreciated if you can submit 10 copies, for distribution to the various board members.

Thank you for your attention, and we hope to hear from you soon!

Best regards,

Alex Vizcarra
President, NSXCA
On behalf of the Board"

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 05 December 2001).]

Sears Point is at the north end of San Francisco Bay, between Vallejo and Novato. (Technically, it's the north end of San Pablo Bay, but I think of San Pablo Bay as the northern extension of San Francisco Bay.) Here is where it is on the map. And here is what it looks like to the space shuttle astronauts who took off today.

More info at http://www.searspoint.com

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 05 December 2001).]

I would too. And even though Wisconsin and Texas are both labeled "central", they're not exactly close to each other...
tongue.gif

What about Phoenix, I wouldn't mind driving there. Nice weather, race track and its a real nice city and aren't there some NSX's around there already
wink.gif

------------------
Joseph Gavazza
99 White/blk NSX
92 Lexus LS400
01 VW GTI VR6

I'm all for Sears Point as it would be an excellent place with great wine, food and drives. It sures seem as though the next one should be on the west coast. The last 2 and 02 are going be over 2000 miles away from me. I'm not suggesting that we hold one in the NW but it would be nice to have it with 1000 miles of the NW.

Look at a map of the USA and look where the NSXPOs have been held. If you need one go here: http://www.bmwworld.com/racing/tracks/

Another option would be Firebird in Chandler, AZ. Heck with any luck I'll be living there by then.

Originally posted by Jimbo:

Lime Rock?

Watkins Glen?

I don't think there's been a NSXPO in this area.

-Jim

When I brought these two up on the list they were pretty much shot down in flames for several reasons:
1. Hotels
2. Airports
3. Entertainment for significant others

I also brought up Pocono which brought similar, largely negative, responses.

------------------
Andrew Henderson
The NSX Model List Page

"We have long acknowledged that enthusiasm for things automotive is a sure
sign of emotional instability if not outright dementia"
- Brock Yates

When I brought these two up on the list they were pretty much shot down in flames for several reasons

I wouldn't count any particular location out of the running. I think any location (including those already selected) can probably get flamed for one or more reasons. It's going to be tough to find a place that is ideal in EVERY respect. However, what matters will be the most attractive proposal submitted. For example, if one proposal has a better racetrack, and another is closer to members that haven't had an NSXPO nearby, and another has better air and hotel services close by, well, all of them will be evaluated and the best overall package will be selected. That's what we have a ten-member board for.

(And all I know is, I'm not going to be in charge of NSXPO 2003.
biggrin.gif
)

Well, here is my $0.02

First, I too think Sears Point would be a great venue if we can secure the track. Even a repeat at Laguna Seca will be great.

However, here are some considerations to keep in mind.

I posted this on the NW and SW lists as well as the big list a few days ago, and since then I have received only 5 positive inquiries (4 volunteered to help organize it .... and you can figure the 3 already on this forum), ALL were from the NW area! Perhaps the lists being down may have contributed to a lack of response from the SW region or others on the big list (but it was before the weekend), perhaps it is the economy ... but I was expecting more enthusiasm from the members at large .....

Second, Sears Point is quite technical and very unforgiving. IMHO, if someone has not tracked their car before, going to Sears Point for the first, even under an iron hand instructor, is asking for a trouble especially in an NSX. Compound that with various non-track enhancing and potentially questionable handling mods, superchrgers, etc., ..... this is a potential disaster. While we need the numbers to make the budget, we also need to be cognizant of the track. Perhaps if the tracks keep statistics on number of incidents by marque clubs days, this might help.

Having said this, we have 2 years to plan for it, and there will be track events for people to take their car before a Sears Point attendance ..... though we need numbers to make the budget, perhaps a consideration would be mandatory prior car clinics or track events ......

Another alternative is to have the social aspects of NSXPO in the SF or even Napa/Sonoma or Sacramento (ok now we are pushing it ..
smile.gif
)while the track event can be done at Thunderhill Raceway Park, about 65 miles north of Sacramento. SOs can also perhaps go to Tahoe or Carmel to pass time if they are bored ..... THill will cost much less and there are enough hotel rooms .... but nothing else! THill track is the safest track in NorCal and many of the NW members know the track .... sure it does not have the allure of Sears Point or Laguna Seca marketing and history, but it is a nice and safe 3.0 mile with 15 turns ......

I am not advocating THill, just noting that at NSXPO99 in Laguna Seca (which is a more forgiving track event that Sears Point), we had several incidents, and at least 2 cars were heavily damaged. We have learned much since then, but still food for thought ......

Hrant

I think NSXPO 2001 showed us that we can hold an event at a track that's unforgiving and still have a success. I wouldn't discount Sears Point for that reason; in fact, I would love to have the chance to drive Sears Point.

Back