• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Billy's 1:58.994 on NT05 Street Tires at Buttonwillow - InCar Video

Here's my In-Car video from Buttonwillow 12/8/13 during the Extreme Speed Track Days event:

-KW V3 Coilovers
-17x8 & 18x9.5 Volk CE28
-235/40-17 & 275/35-18 Nitto NT05
-OS Giken SuperLoc LSD
-NSX-R Wing
-Full Interior (with Subwoofer)
-Header & Exhaust
-Stock bushings

Enjoy.

very instructive for folks to look at your hands...very relaxed despite all the small corrections.The less tense your big muscles of your torso are the better able to feel and adjust the steering wheel you are......damn i sound like yoda again....

Great driving, your reaction time is very good.
It's not all reaction. Most of it is 'driving by the seat of the pants' -feeling and ANTICIPATING and oversteer moment. Feeling the lateral grip start to give up and the steering effort lighten and correct as it happens.

very instructive for folks to look at your hands...very relaxed despite all the small corrections.The less tense your big muscles of your torso are the better able to feel and adjust the steering wheel you are......damn i sound like yoda again....
Yes. You want to be relaxed with your grip and steering inputs but catch the oversteer with quick (and forceful -in the NSX without power steering) hands.

Here's my 2:01.0 from a few years ago on RE01Rs, a non setup suspension, and a full trunk (this was 2nd and final lap of the entire day):

Two questions:
1) what brake pads are you using?
2) How big are your balls!?!? :eek:

Last edited:
Love watching you drive young man :)

Billy, is the interior pretty much stock? Seats, steering wheel, seat belt?
Stock seats, wheel, belts, interior, with a double-din touch screen AND subwoofer :)

Two questions:
1) what brake pads are you using?
2) How big are your balls!?!? :eek:
1) Porterfield R4S. Seem to take everything i've given it without issues...
2) ? -Not sure what's so crazy. If you thought that in-car was crazy. Check out the record lap in the FXMD car: http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showt...uttonwillow-InCar-Video?p=1754381#post1754381

Love watching you drive young man :)
Thanks Jim!

Last edited:
Does your setup have a a lot of oversteer? You are driving that car sideways like an ATV in the dirt. The 1:46 second mark would have probably caught me off guard. Nice work. That's how I felt in my buddies Miata on street tires. Super fun in a slower car… scary going quick. Next time you are out in Cali, we should swap cars and see what lap times we can pull off. My goal is to be less than 4 seconds off of the time you put down in my car. Ha.

Does your setup have a a lot of oversteer? You are driving that car sideways like an ATV in the dirt. The 1:46 second mark would have probably caught me off guard. Nice work. That's how I felt in my buddies Miata on street tires. Super fun in a slower car… scary going quick. Next time you are out in Cali, we should swap cars and see what lap times we can pull off. My goal is to be less than 4 seconds off of the time you put down in my car. Ha.
With the stock 350/350 springs and tiny stock front bar with 235/275s, its too loose. I'll drop atleast another second once I put a larger front bar on. For riverside (1:46 mark), you don't want to be next to the curbing like I was where there's a big dip -which caused the snap oversteer. Normally I'd be tracking-out by then but on a previous lap, there was an S2K rear bumper at track-out so I was keeping the line tighter.

You already did a 2:02? That's already 3 seconds off what I did, what do you mean by 4 seconds off?

Newbie questions coming up:

1. Can you illustrate where you trail brake Billy? I haven't had the balls to attempt it yet.

2. What does "tracking-out" or "track-out" mean?
1. A little into T1, More into T2 (button-hook), Into T3 (right-hander into 'grapevine' section). Into the "Sweeper" and a little into "Sunset" onto the front straight.

2. A corner is often broken down to 3 phases (Entry-Mid-Exit) = (Turn-in, Apex, Track-Out) -The point where you track-out to the outer edge of the track on the exit.

With the stock 350/350 springs and tiny stock front bar with 235/275s, its too loose. I'll drop atleast another second once I put a larger front bar on.

What do you think you could pick up with a move to NT-01's from the NT-05's? What about a set of Hoosier R6s?

Dave

Im guessing theres 1 more second with a larget front swaybar, 2 on that with a wing, At least 1 sec going to AD08s. At least 1 more on top of that for NT01s, and 1 on that for R6. Maybe a 53?

Last edited:
Im guessing theres 1 more second with a larget front swaybar, 2 on that with a wing, At least 1 sec going to AD08s. At least 1 more on top of that for NT01s, and 1 on that for R6. Maybe a 53?

What about a vented hood and 2" front splitter w/undertray?

Very interesting breakdown. Would all this (including Dave's question on splitter) make it easier to drive as well?
I look at similarly equipped S2K's laptimes to judge what I think the NSX will do. The record for an S2K with similar tires (255/255 = 235/275 in tire volume) and stock "CS" aero is a 1:59.7 - I did a 1:58.9 with a similar setup. The NA street tire record with a ton of aero is a 1:55.X

It's a little hard to say on what adding front aero (splitter and hood) will do but it for sure will make a noticeable improvement in front downforce and grip. I don't think the NSX-R wing will be enough to balance out either of those (which is a part of the reason for my post to make a 'Hybrid' wing) but with a real wing, you could add even more rear downforce to greatly improve the overall grip of the car. Could be worth another second.

Back