• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Black NSX-R headliner questions

I'm in the market for a black headliner and related nonsense. My car was originally an ivory car. Most of the interior has been converted to black, but the headliner, A-pillars (painted tho), light, and sun visors are ivory. I do not have B-pillar plastic at all.

The ideal solution would be a whole NSX-R setup from pillars up. But the R headliner itself is backordered and who knows if / when it will come back.

After seeing how great @MotorMouth93's alcantra wrapped interior pieces came out, I've been wondering if there is a way to do a hybrid setup where I get my ivory headliner wrapped, then use it with some or all the rest of the NSX-R bits. Really the only salvageable parts I have to wrap are the headliner itself and the passenger A-pillar.

On Mita's website it says that using the R headliner requires a whole changeover. But I'm curious:

* What are the actual differences? Anyone know?
* Are there any interchangeable parts? Like can I use R sun visors + light(s) with the stock headliner? If so, then I can buy non-R pillars and have them wrapped.

And, anyone have part numbers for everything necessary for an R headliner changeover? It's hard to tell which numbers are the R parts looking at the catalogs on amayama.

I remember seeing package deals when I first bought the car, I shoulda just pulled the trigger....

Last edited:
I'm in the market for a black headliner and related nonsense. My car was originally an ivory car. Most of the interior has been converted to black, but the headliner, A-pillars (painted tho), light, and sun visors are ivory. I do not have B-pillar plastic at all.

The ideal solution would be a whole NSX-R setup from pillars up. But the R headliner itself is backordered and who knows if / when it will come back.

After seeing how great @MotorMouth93's alcantra wrapped interior pieces came out, I've been wondering if there is a way to do a hybrid setup where I get my ivory headliner wrapped, then use it with some or all the rest of the NSX-R bits. Really the only salvageable parts I have to wrap are the headliner itself and the passenger A-pillar.

On Mita's website it says that using the R headliner requires a whole changeover. But I'm curious:

* What are the actual differences? Anyone know?
* Are there any interchangeable parts? Like can I use R sun visors + light(s) with the stock headliner? If so, then I can buy non-R pillars and have them wrapped.

And, anyone have part numbers for everything necessary for an R headliner changeover? It's hard to tell which numbers are the R parts looking at the catalogs on amayama.

I remember seeing package deals when I first bought the car, I shoulda just pulled the trigger....

I have some experience here. I will elaborate once the kids are in bed lol.

I'm going to beat @Honcho to the punch here a little bit since he and I are both doing close to the same. He can chime in on a few different aspects when it comes to wrapping the parts.

I am doing the full R conversion, well hopefully...

I purchased the R A pillars (84101-SL0-A10ZA & 84151-SL0-A10ZA) and the R B pillars (84131-SL0-A02ZH & 84181-SL0-A02ZH) two years ago as well as the headliner. Amayama would never allow me to purchase the headliner through them since they won't ship roof panels so I ordered through MITA (well NSX Shop at the time). Honda accepted the order Marc placed for me and here we are over 2 years later and still no headliner. I check in with Marc periodically and he said Honda keeps telling him they will produce more. COVID really screwed up timelines and what not, so I understand. Last I heard from Marc they were starting to produce headliners in other colors so we are hopeful this means that the R headliners will be coming in soon.

As for your questions...

What are the actual differences? -- The R pillars, visors, dome light, and headliner can ONLY be used in a Coupe! The difference out side of that is obviously that it is black in color and it is done in a black jersey mesh type fabric instead of vinyl. It's very close to the pineapple jersey mesh that Recaro uses.

Are there any interchangeable parts? -- Yes all of them are interchangeable, to an extent. The R dome light has a black plastic bezel instead of gray so you'd definitely want a black headliner of some kind if you use the R dome light. The R sun visors can also be used but word of caution, since the R is a RHD vehicle the visors are "flipped" as far as which one has the mirror. If you want to keep "proper" LHD visors you need to use the Type-S Left visor (83280-SL0-Z00ZA) and the Euro Right visor (83230-SL0-G03ZB). Another thing to keep in mind, I've searched high and low and ordered samples from several eBay sellers and I have yet to find a perfect match for the fabric. The "squares" of the mesh on the OEM R pieces is very very fine and I haven't found anything that is that small. @Honcho should have pictures of his OEM R Sun visors up against his non OEM "R Style" wrapped headliner and you can see that even though the sizing is different you really can't tell and it doesn't look bad at all. Depending on how long it takes us to get my car to paint and back together I may be forced to do exactly what we did for his and wrap my current headliner while I continue to wait for the OEM R headliner to finally be produced.

Like I said, @Honcho can chime in on the experiences we had with wrapping his A Pillars and Headliner and suggestions/opinions he has, but hope this helped provide some information for you

Amazing, this is exactly what I was looking for. If you find the correct fabric, definitely post about it! When I get the visors, I'll take them to the local auto upholstery place and see if they can find a match.

Do you have the proper center visor & dome light PNs handy?

I've been operating under a couple assumptions due to this line on Mita's website:

With the introduction of the 2002-2005 NSX-R / NSX-S Pure Black Alcantara was made available; though a full conversion would be required.

Up until now, I thought all the pieces other than the visors were alcantara, and I thought there was something dimensionally different between the NSX-R and normal coupe sets. I emailed them a while back asking what the differences were; they sort of ignored the question and just told me I need the whole kit.

Amazing, this is exactly what I was looking for. If you find the correct fabric, definitely post about it! When I get the visors, I'll take them to the local auto upholstery place and see if they can find a match.

Do you have the proper center visor & dome light PNs handy?

I've been operating under a couple assumptions due to this line on Mita's website:

Up until now, I thought all the pieces other than the visors were alcantara, and I thought there was something dimensionally different between the NSX-R and normal coupe sets. I emailed them a while back asking what the differences were; they sort of ignored the question and just told me I need the whole kit.

Dome Light - 34250-SL4-003ZL
Center Visor - 83250-SL0-A11ZA

From all the research I've done, all 02+ Coupes (JDM, EDM, Type-S, R) had the same black mesh fabric for the A Pillars, B Pillars, Headliner, Sun visors, and the black dome light. Key differences are in the visors as far as what one has the mirror, what one has the SRS info printed or not printed on it and in what language.

I accidentally purchased one wrong visor (it's the left GB one) if you want to borrow it to take to your upholstery guy and see if you have any better luck than I have had.

Sweet thanks! Yeah I’m sure the thing Mita is selling is mesh, I can’t find a pic of an alcantara one outside of motormouth’s. On the center visor page on their site it says alcantara and shows mesh…. I never put that together.

Thanks for the offer to borrow the visor! I think this project will take long enough I’m happy to buy the visor kit now and take it to the guy in a month or 2 when I get them.

Spencer totally stole my thunder lol. But yes, the mesh fabric I found is a close, but not exact match to the Honda OEM. I'd use the fabric again (it's really close), but if I had to do it again, I'd pay my upholstery shop to install the fabric. [MENTION=33247]MotorMouth93[/MENTION] did his this way and it looks way better than my DIY.

Sweet, I may reach out for the fabric details. I will 100% have a shop install the fabric. I probably wouldn’t do a great job on the simplest part lol

Thanks for all the details, I’ll have a bit amayama order coming soon

Back