• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Blodi's BBSC Install......

Ryan's car was a pleasure to tune; not so much fun regarding the axles though. The passenger axle was pretty "stuck". We wrestled it out, and replaced both axle boots, with a fresh re-grease.

Our dyno is setup SAE; ie, 0% correction. The car will make less power at 115deg ambient temp, so why correct it to read higher? There are too many variables and chances for "callouts" using correction, so we decided to set the dyno to SAE when we installed it March 20th. We had a Super V on there yesterday that made 127WHP. That same motor Engine-dyno'd at 162WHP. Do the math, the dyno is reading low, and we are OK with that.

Back to Blodi's car...

The tune was very solid from the get-go. I touched very little in regards to AFR, as it was setup very conservative at 12.5:1 under 5psi, tapering down to 11.5:1 at full 9.7psi. The timing was too conservative, and I don't blame the previous tuner. His usual cars blow ring lands at anything much over 10deg of timing. After adding 10 degrees of timing to his tune, Ryans car picked up almost 40WHP, even with the slipping stock clutch.

Installed the RPS, and it picked up another 9WHP, for a final 431WHP.

As far as torque down low, that's what the car liked. I tried more timing, it lost power down low. This is why a dyno is a necessary tuning tool, and why we made the investment of getting one in-house. We are able to actually "see" the tuning changes.

That's all for now. Blodi has a few small remaining issues that he opted to repair himself, as we are headed down today to pick up a certain Carbon Fiber NSX to prepare for a certain race, and it's the only chance we have to head south again for a week.

Thanks for chiming in Cody!

Cody dropped the car off tonight. Amazing work with the tune and first class service. Car idles so nice, drives so smooth and pulls like a @$&!@&@ up top! Yeah, the clutch will take a little time to get used to, but much more reassuring engagment than stock and holds the power great. I think I detect a bit of wheel spin at the top of 2nd :eek: 1st gear is basically useless even at half throttle......New tires are next.

Wow!!!
I bet the car is fun to drive. Glad to see the BBSC and a proper tune running strong.
Are the dyno numbers with or with out the meth?

Update on this thread. I went to the drags last week. Best was 12.14 @ 125.66mph.
No doubt I can hit 11's with a bit more practice.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/AwM0zZ-lQKo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:
Good run Blodi put some Nitto Drag Radials on there you will be in the 11's for sure

Update on this thread. I went to the drags last week. Best was 12.14 @ 125.66mph.
No doubt I can hit 11's with a bit more practice.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/AwM0zZ-lQKo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

UPDATE.

In the fall I started to notice oil in the catch can and I was starting to see smoke sometimes after hard acceleration. I also noticed oil all over in the engine bay. After a while I figured out the oil was coming out of the input shaft of the blower. Right before Christmas I pullled it out and sent it to Paxton for a rebuild. Then I did a compression test....and sure enough, my biggest fear came true. Low compression on one of the cylinders.
I talked to Cody and he confirmed that those are all the sure signs of a broken piston. I knew I was pushing it a bit far at 9.8psi on a stock motor, so I can only blame myself. So after some back and forth and planning it all out my car is headed up to his shop. He is going to do his "LF600" build; low comp CP pistons, Cometic headgaskets and ARP headstuds. Additionally, he is going to put in the SOS oil pump and billet gear setup, new tb/wp, build an intercooler setup and a few other fun tricks that we've been wanting to try :)

On a side note, Paxton called me and could not rebuild my blower. They did offer though to take mine on exchange towards a brand new unit, so I opted for that. I guess since mine was build in 2003, they have changed the internal setup a bit and no longer stock parts. So I figure now I have a new blower for my "new" engine.

Cody picked up the car this afternoon right on time on his way back from delivering XRC's car. Parts have been ordered and are showing up at his shop already so the process should be pretty streamlined.
So stay tuned......results should be impressive.

IMG_20130120_151015-1 by blodi, on Flickr

Gotta love it Ryan, I've had that truck & trailer grace our driveway a couple of times now......it's the sign of good things!
You'll get into the 11's for sure now ;^D

Brian

Do you know the difference between the blower you had and the newer one from paxton? My, how far the BBSC has been taken since 2001.... The only spare part not really available is the carrier arm, and I doubt that could ever fail... along with the high # of built motors and tuning available... sigh... wish this was available back in "the day"

Gotta love it Ryan, I've had that truck & trailer grace our driveway a couple of times now......it's the sign of good things!
You'll get into the 11's for sure now ;^D

Brian

No doubt. I was probably about there before, but now I should be very deep into the 11's.

Do you know the difference between the blower you had and the newer one from paxton? My, how far the BBSC has been taken since 2001.... The only spare part not really available is the carrier arm, and I doubt that could ever fail... along with the high # of built motors and tuning available... sigh... wish this was available back in "the day"

They said something about the bearings being different and the new ones wouldn't fit into the housing that i have. I'm hoping the change is to keep these things from leaking as much as they tend to.
Yeah, there certainly is a lot more knowledge out there than there was back when the BBSC came out. We are going to try some firsts here with this build too to improve on the setup more.

Saw lovefabs post on facebook yesterday. Good luck man.... I hate that it happened....

i'm prob next lol

Sorry to hear man.

Are you going to be using the 9.0:1 CP pistons?
Also did you have to put in extra cash for Paxton to exchange for a newer blower or was it an even exchange?

I would love to see the results when you have a built motor.
What psi do you/Cody intend to run on the BBSC?
What size injectors are you going to upgrade to?

Sorry for all the question, but I am in the market for some low comp CP pistons and hone the block to 91.5mm and turn up the boost to about 14-15 psi before I blow my motor.

Thanks
Rahim

Sorry to hear man.

Are you going to be using the 9.0:1 CP pistons?
Also did you have to put in extra cash for Paxton to exchange for a newer blower or was it an even exchange?

I would love to see the results when you have a built motor.
What psi do you/Cody intend to run on the BBSC?
What size injectors are you going to upgrade to?

Sorry for all the question, but I am in the market for some low comp CP pistons and hone the block to 91.5mm and turn up the boost to about 14-15 psi before I blow my motor.

Thanks
Rahim

Yes. Using the 9.0 pistons and going up to 750cc injectors. We are aiming for 15 psi.

Paxton gave me a $1000 credit for my blower, so it cost me $1100 to get the new one. I was kinda shocked they couldn't rebuild mine, but I didn't really have any options.

I may be wrong but i think you have the first car i've seen "built" running the BBSC. Im intersted tosee the results. I have ALWAYS been a fan of the BBSC. Good bang forthe buck!! Good luck!:biggrin:

I may be wrong but i think you have the first car i've seen "built" running the BBSC. Im intersted tosee the results. I have ALWAYS been a fan of the BBSC. Good bang forthe buck!! Good luck!:biggrin:

There have been a few others with built motors and bbsc. Devin was probably the first, Armando, Costa and OnestepX are the ones that come to mind. There might be others that I'm not aware of or forgetting.

The only main issue we will be facing is belt slip. Blodi, keep a toolset handy. Also, we will want to investigate the "stickiest" belts known to man.

Interesting storyline here, but Devin went built motor, bbsc. When he did this, he had a custom laminova WAIC made, and sold his previous waic setup to Armando which was used on his bbsc. Then, Armando's WAIC ended up on NA1MT's car, which was replaced with our system. Devin's, Armando's(after it was sold), and NA1MT's car were all in our shop for Turbo systems or more.

EAC has Devin's original WAIC unit on his car at the moment, with NA1MT's old Turbo system. [/history lesson]

Here's Blodi's car warming up after unloading in 1°F weather. Engine removal begins today.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1358860365482.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1358860365482.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 3,430
Whoa.... Didn't know that!

Put you some Pimp Juice on that belt! LOL

IMG_0585sized.jpg

^^ What a crazy/small FI NSX world we live in! Thanks for the history lesson Cody!

Can I run inject that stuff instead of my meth Eric? :)

That shit is like molasse on steroids. LOL

2b8oj9.jpg

EAC - wow that shyt looks crazy! Didn't know about this product.

Blodi - thanks for the info.

I can't wait to see the results and also how you guys are going to over come the belt slipage issue.

If you're gonna run that much boost i HIGHLY recommend you look at what onestepnsx had made.. he is selling i beleive an 8 rib or 9 rib pulley set custom made for the nsx bbsc.. minor labor if motor out already..

Back