• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Blown tire today...Lucky to be alive.

HTN

Experienced Member
I pulled out from Acura this morning. Went for about a quarter mile...then the loudest BOOM came from the back. Boy...was I sweatin. I thought the engine has blown. Luckily there was a mechanics shop right there for me to turn into. What a nice shop owner, he help me with pumping air into the spare. So pretty much one of my worst nightmare that could happen to the NSX happened. I consider myself to be very lucky today. My wife and I go on sprited drive with the local guys here once in a while. Could not image a blown tire at 100 mph.
I had no idea that my tires were worn to this degree. The worst part is Acura service techs did not mention at the last oil change. Hmmm...

So I guess this is a good time to get new tires and wheels. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• DSC01762.jpg
    DSC01762.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 415
Goodyear Ealge F1 GS D3s

You were more than lucky on this one! Let this be a warning to all NSX owners who drive their tires down to the belt. :eek: In my country you're loosing your driving license if they catch you with tires what have less than 1.6 mm thread accross the hole tire.

That type of tire wear looks like a typical front tire on an NSX. What are your rear toe and camber settings? :confused:

Glad you brought this up. I purchased this vehicle from dealer 8 months ago. It came lowered with H&R srpings. This is all I know of the tires. Not educated at all with the toe and camber settings. Please advice. I would like to have 18 front and 19 back with no rubs. So from here, what do I need know before ordering?

Thanks

You were more than lucky on this one! Let this be a warning to all NSX owners who drive their tires down to the belt. :eek: In my country you're loosing your driving license if they catch you with tires what have less than 1.6 mm thread accross the hole tire.

Couldn't agree with you more. I'm just happy today dispite what had happened. This incident could have been much worse. I need to get under the car and inspect from now on.

i'd stick with OEM :smile:

WOW! That's what you call "SUICIDE"..:rolleyes: How and why did you end up driving with those tires? It takes a minute to check the tires and pressure. I'd say once a month just to be safe. I'm glad you didnt get into an accident.

Last edited:
Yeah holly cow. No trend is one thing but layers of the tire gone... :p. Glad you were allright. The shop must really have been that close if you were able to roll in and not destroy the tire.

Actualy I'm not surprised.Out of sight out of mind.Your car lowered on HR is so low that your - camber is increased and you have to get on your knees to see the inner tire.From the outside and on quick inspection your tires look fine,valuable lesson.:redface:

Because from the outside the tread always looks good on the front tires, during season I turn the wheels all the way in order to see the inside treads. I also check the tire pressure (cold of course) at least every two weeks, just to be safe. Takes such little time for such an important thing, why take chances with your life?

I had no idea that my tires were worn to this degree.
:eek: :eek: Why not? There is no legitimate excuse for excessively worn tires (or low tire pressure) on any vehicle. We're talking fundamentals of motor vehicle use (and safety) here.

The worst part is Acura service techs did not mention at the last oil change.
Not the worst part, but yes, something they should have mentioned - assuming the "the last oil change" you mention was that day (the reason you were there, not a few hundred or few thousand miles ago).

Wow, tough law, but a damn good one.

My first set of tires wore to the belt on the inside before someone else saw and pointed it out to me. Very :redface: .

I have the Goodyear GS-D3 too. I apparently had a nail in the tire when the left rear blew doing about 100 mph. The profile is low, and hard sidewalls kept it all together so that turned out ok. But I highly recommend these tires too, even though there have been some supply issues with them, due to their poplularity I guess.

Actualy I'm not surprised.Out of sight out of mind.Your car lowered on HR is so low that your - camber is increased and you have to get on your knees to see the inner tire.From the outside and on quick inspection your tires look fine,valuable lesson.:redface:

You hit a nail on the head. This is a good lesson for me and hopefully others out there as well. Looks like Good Year Eagle 1 is the popular brand.

Glad you made it through this one okay. Whenever you wash your car, get down on your side, and look at the rear tires for inside tire wear. Turn the steering wheel so you can get a look at the inside line of the front tires as well. I tend to get lots of miles out my fronts; however, since my car is lowered like yours, with aggressive '91 spec alignment, my rears are eaten up rather quick. I agree to go with the Goodyears. Ken says there are some quality, high performance, with great wet traction tires coming soon from a few tire manufactures. Keep an eye out for those. One other thing, get a quality tire pressure gauge to check your tire pressure at least once per week. Especially if you go on spirited drives.

Wow, :eek: Glad you are okay.

Everyone should pay close atention to the tires on ANY car they drive...and check the pressure at least every other gas fill-up. You never know if you pick up a nail and get a leak.

I vote for 17/18 combo for better ride comfort. 18/19 has such small sidewalls you feel every crack in the road.

I just replaced my fronts at 7,300 mi with the Good Years and already noticed a diference in ride and less noise over the stock Potenzas. My fronts wore quicker than my rears but did not look as bad as yours. My rears still have another 2/32 to go before they hit the depth bars but are perfectly even across as my car is not lowered. Check your fronts on the inside as well.

I recommend that you stay with Stock 17/17. They are the lightest set up, you don't have to buy wheels and the tires are cheaper and the ride is better as long as you stay with 40s.

I bought a set of rears and am storing them but am waiting till the rears wear down to the bars as I don't drive in the rain. Due to price going up in April and availability issues.

Buy a tread depth guage to check where you are at going forward. I use to only look at and feel the tires and really didn't notice that my fronts were getting worn until I turned the wheel all the way over to one side one day and was horrified.

Now I can't wait to get the rears on. Should be soon...

Regards,

Tytus

Last edited:
Sorry about your misfortune, but next time just check the tires. It's an NSX, you should know that tire wear is an issue.

++1 for the Goodyear F1 GSD3s

Unfortunately, there have been many new owners that weren't aware of that.

I recommend that you stay with Stock 17/17. They are the lightest set up, you don't have to buy wheels and the tires are cheaper and the ride is better as long as you stay with 40s.

Its better to have both! Stockers for those canyon runs and some bling for cruizes and local gatherings.

Happened to me not so long ago. Left rear tire blew. The accelerator felt stuck I could not press any further and the car brake by itself. The tire shredded to pieces on the inner side.

Thanks for all the tips and advice everyone.
I decided to go with stock tires with 25mm spacers to bring the whimpy wheels out. I also have another question, since it is lowered on H&R, should I be looking at a camber kit?

Back