• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Bought 2017 Acura NSX and New to Forum

6 months ago I purchased a 2017 Acura NSX from Chapman Acura in Tucson, AZ. The car was fully loaded (original MSRP of $200,500) and I believe had every option except for a premium paint color. It has a black exterior with a red leather/black alcantara interior. The car was a 1 owner lease return with 9.6K miles and an Acura CPO car. The car was priced at $127.9K which was a better deal than I could find in Los Angeles (where I live) at the time and the dealer also gave me a very fair price on the 2019 Lexus GSF I traded in. At the time I bought the car the dealer had lowered the price a couple of times and it was rated about $10K below market by Cargurus. All in all it was worth the 8 hour drive back and forth to Tucson to do the deal and I am so happy with the car. It is definitely my favorite out of the 6 vehicles I currently own (the other 5 being a 2021 Lexus LC500 Inspiration convertible, 2021 Lexus RX450H, 2020 Lexus RCF Track Edition, 2018 Toyota Tacoma Sport 4WD and a 1991 GMC Syclone).

I've got a heavy automotive background and was Program Manager for the GMC Syclone/Typhoon when I worked for GM and used to have a hot rod shop in Ypsilanti, MI. I've owned dozens of cars ranging from numerous American hot rods to a 2000 NSX, Ferrari 360 Modena, 1998 Porsche 911, AMG Mercedes, various Beemers etc. I had 7 different 1986/87 Buick Grand Nationals when I worked for GM lol.

My 2017 NSX is currently 100 percent factory stock. I have run it through a few 0 to 60s with a Racelogic Vbox and also taken it to Irwindale Speedway twice for 1/8 mile racing (with the VBox hooked up) and can share times, drag strip time slips, video etc. if others are interested. The car just had its 15K service (oil and filter change plus air pollen filter replacement). At 13K miles I got a nail in one of the original Michelin Pilot 4S tires and got a new set of the Continental Sportcontact 6 summer tires. The original tires were pretty hard and traction was limited (best VBox 0 to 60 of 3.21 secs with 1 foot rollout), especially in colder weather (40s to 50s in the mornings at the time). The new Continentals have been outstanding for traction with a best VBox 0 to 60 of 2.85 secs and subsequent Irwindale Speedway 1/8 mile of 7.144 secs @98.84 w 1.681 60 foot and Vbox 0.60 mph of 3.00 secs - 95 degree weather and no VHT on the track).

I ordered and will be installing a JB4 tuning box next week - no other mods will be made. I refrained from ordering the downpipes even though I would like the extra hp and louder exhaust because I am worried about passing CA emissions and voiding my warranty.

Anyway, I'll be happy to share impressions of the car and drag strip times etc.if anyone is interested.

Welcome to the group. Glad to have you. Your car sounds like it was optioned out. The other item you could get was all leather for another grand. On a red interior the darker insert provides a nice contrast. I would venture that the Michelin were the second set of tires. My 2017 had 4200 miles on it when I purchased and the Conti 5s in the back were almost worn smooth. The fronts can easily last 10k miles if not more. The Conti 6s you have are really great tires and we’re developed for the NSX. I went with the Michelin as I wanted a smoother and quiet running tire.

I personally think the SOS downpipes are a great way to go, but as you noted they may not pass CA smog when we are required to smog our cars in another year or two. The JB4 may also not pass? But is a bit easier to remove. I would suggest you also consider the SOS rear engine cover struts as they lift the hood much higher than stock.

Again welcome! There is also a Facebook group that is open only to owners of NC1 cars.

Last edited:
My 2017 NSX is currently 100 percent factory stock. I have run it through a few 0 to 60s with a Racelogic Vbox and also taken it to Irwindale Speedway twice for 1/8 mile racing (with the VBox hooked up) and can share times, drag strip time slips, video etc. if others are interested. The car just had its 15K service (oil and filter change plus air pollen filter replacement). At 13K miles I got a nail in one of the original Michelin Pilot 4S tires and got a new set of the Continental Sportcontact 6 summer tires. The original tires were pretty hard and traction was limited (best VBox 0 to 60 of 3.21 secs with 1 foot rollout), especially in colder weather (40s to 50s in the mornings at the time). The new Continentals have been outstanding for traction with a best VBox 0 to 60 of 2.85 secs and subsequent Irwindale Speedway 1/8 mile of 7.144 secs @98.84 w 1.681 60 foot and Vbox 0.60 mph of 3.00 secs - 95 degree weather and no VHT on the track).

I ordered and will be installing a JB4 tuning box next week - no other mods will be made. I refrained from ordering the downpipes even though I would like the extra hp and louder exhaust because I am worried about passing CA emissions and voiding my warranty.

Anyway, I'll be happy to share impressions of the car and drag strip times etc.if anyone is interested.

Big congrats on your new NSX! Those are pretty incredible times for stock car. Like you, I wasn't really interested in the downpipe but just the JB4. Please let us know how your installation / post install performance runs go.

Thank you drManny3 and skim. The new generation NSX is an amazing car right out of the factory. As far as the sound goes I am honestly happy with the stock exhaust sound under wide open throttle. I kinda like the relatively low key nature of the sound. I posted my times from my trip to Irwindale last night as a reply to the thread started by Arabianoak. As soon as a moderator approves my reply it should be up.

Kim, are you the person who posted lots of nice pictures of your daughter with the Inspiration Series on ClubLexus?

I think this is the first time I saw Kim mention his history in the Hot Rod space (he had mentioned the working for GM part).

I am not a Hot Rodder but have fun seeing some of them.

One of my tenants back East is the Grand Child of a famous Drag Racer, and the family has a performance parts business.

One of their cars has a 14 liter V8, blows my mind.

Bricks and Bio: Yes I believe you are referring to my posts on LC 500 Inspiration Convertible at Club Lexus.
RyanRA: Yes, the NC1 and LC 500 convertible are definitely both superb cars in different ways and I feel so fortunate to be able to have both and use them for different occasions. The NSX is of course a much quicker car and feels more nimble but the LC Convertible offers more luxury, a fantastic open air design, a glorious exhaust note from its rumbling, normally aspirated V8 and to me an unsurpassed level of quality and attention to detail commensurate with a higher price point than they are priced at.

At the drag strip the NSX is more than able to hold its own against vehicles that have superior performance spec sheets. Irwindale Speedway, which is where I have run the NSX, doesn't use VHT and as a result the track is quite slippery. The AWD set up on the NSX definitely provides a differential advantage over rwd cars. I got to race against 3 different ZL1 Camaros and literally smoked all of them by bus lengths. When I ran the car stock, prior to installing the JB4 Box, it posted notably quicker times than an Audi R8, Ferrari 458, Nissan GTR Nismo, several Dodge Hellcats, BMW M5 Comp Sport and C8 Corvette. I didn't get to race them heads up but this happened on the same track on the same day:)

Gen 2 rocker panel right side

Hi Kim,

you wrote to me about a rocker panel I had listed and I have been unable to get back to with my bleumouton address. So I enrolled under “bleusheep” in order to get through to you! It is not carbon. It is a full length rocker panel, aka Garnish, right side and us brand new. I paid the standard retail price, $1631.50 plus the shipping. Let me know if this is what you’ve been looking for.

thanks,

Jeff

Welcome. 2017 source silver here.

Pics from last week with a local production studio who asked to borrow it to test out a new robot and lcd wall.
c340296ddb9674649702dbc2517b6682.jpg

a06830bb82c658cc821109fa2599707d.jpg

Kim
Thanks for the pics!
Looks awesome Black and Red is probably as good as it gets!
I just drove one on SAT morning, then joined here.
I think I am hooked.
JR

JRE: Black was not actually my first choice. I saw a 2017 Nouvelle Blue and also a Valencia Red 2017 at a dealership closer to me. Both of those looked absolutely gorgeous but the blue car had been in an accident, had over 30K miles on it and IMO was priced too high for having mid level ($170K MSRP) equipment and the red car was pretty much a base model other than the color. I ended up driving to Tucson, AZ to get my car which was fully loaded other than not having the full leather option and a premium color. I actually set up the deal without seeing the car in person and drove to Tucson my trade-in which was a 2019 Lexus GSF. I've grown to love the black - when its clean it looks magnificent but it is hard to keep clean. I now have an indoor car cover from Science of Speed (I highly recommend it) which I use to cover the car when it's in the garage and because I leave my garage doors open much of the time that does help with keeping it clean. When the sun is going down the black is a stunning color. However, my first choice would probably have been Nouvelle Blue if the car had the right equipment, hadn't been in an accident and was priced better. I ended up getting my car for $8K less than the other dealer was asking for the blue car and my car had only 9K miles on it with $30K more in equipment (when new) and is also an Acura CPO car without any accident history.

Here are a few more pics of my car:

522fdc72-55ce-4e01-9467-2cce17abcf9e.JPG
IMG_0916.jpgIMG_0908.jpg
dd134b91-0448-4390-94df-18ea93b0e658.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0880.jpg
    IMG_0880.jpg
    360.3 KB · Views: 206
Great looking car..... old saying "black is not only a color, but a career too"

Please explain what Acura's NSX specific CPO is all about?

THX

Thanks guys!

Kim

WOW, that's fantastic. THanks for the details and the write up on it.

Working on getting a 2017 myself, after driving other 'super cars'.

Question: Open to anyone here too...

Does yours have the TECH Package on it?
The one I like does not. What am I missing w/o that? NAV correct? :suspicion:
Is it a DEAL breaker?

Kim

WOW, that's fantastic. THanks for the details and the write up on it.

Working on getting a 2017 myself, after driving other 'super cars'.

Question: Open to anyone here too...

Does yours have the TECH Package on it?
The one I like does not. What am I missing w/o that? NAV correct? :suspicion:
Is it a DEAL breaker?

Not a deal breaker. Go for it!

“The NSX's main optional package is the Technology package, which gets you a navigation system, parking sensors and a nine-speaker premium ELS sound system with satellite radio.”

Not a deal breaker. Go for it!

“The NSX's main optional package is the Technology package, which gets you a navigation system, parking sensors and a nine-speaker premium ELS sound system with satellite radio.”

I like NAV, PARK assist, and SAT Radio...but lived without all three from about 1977 thru 2007...right?

THANKS, Ryan for the reply. Much appreciated. ~|JRE

I have the upgraded technology package which includes a roof mounted antenna for XMRadio. While I have a subscription for XM radio, I always bring my phone and listen thru Apple Car Play and Pandora. As for navigation, I prefer Apple Car Play and their Google maps. So not sure of the value. I do like the sensors in the front and back as it can be hard to see where the bumpers are. I like the sound system, however many complain it’s not the best. Welcome to the group, and I wish you good fortune in getting your NSX

Back