• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

brake lamp indicator

gentlmen and women,

my 91 nsx has a brake lamp warning light showing up on my dash at the rear of the little nsx drawing. My rear lights all appear to be working.
My cousin drives an Acura RL and thought it might be low brake fluid.
Have any of you experienced this and what did you do?
any info would be helpful

thanks in advance
JNSX

Not at all a diy-er and soory if this thread is listed a million times elsewhere

I'm not familiar with the brake lamp warning. If you're seeing a red bar at the rear of the nsx drawing, could it be your trunk lid warning? If it's something different, I'm curious what it looks like.

JNSX said:
gentlmen and women,

my 91 nsx has a brake lamp warning light showing up on my dash at the rear of the little nsx drawing. My rear lights all appear to be working.
My cousin drives an Acura RL and thought it might be low brake fluid.
Have any of you experienced this and what did you do?
any info would be helpful

thanks in advance
JNSX

Not at all a diy-er and soory if this thread is listed a million times elsewhere

my wife is driving it as we speak but when she returns i'll post the pic.
i am quite certain it says "brake lamp" in the red bar

jnsx

Re: brake lamp indicator fix

After many hours of investigating I solved and fixed the brake light indicator problem. I read all the previous posts in regards to this matter and know first hand the frustration this causes. I'll explain my fix and hopefully your problem is the same so it fixes your car as well.

First off, the brake indicator light goes on when it senses a voltage problem. It can be due to poor grounding, incorrect bulbs, faulty components, or poor connections anywhere within the circuit. I spent alot of time going over the grounds but found no problems. The ground wires are usually connecting by means of a screwed terminal type connection. These connections typically don't give alot of problems because they are a good tight connection. Where I found my problem was at one of the connectors where it plugs the tail-light wiring harness into the the car wiring. There are two of them. One is on the driver's side and the other is on the passenger side. They are a grey multi-plug connector and sit in along the bulbs, regulators, etc.

Once you locate the connectors, unplug them and inspect the blades and sockets for corrosion. I found the one on the driver's side was perfectly clean, but the one on the passenger's side was terribly corroded. One was corroded so bad it actually started to burn away at the contact because of the poor connection and heat build up because of it. That would explain the horn/brake fuse which had blown previously. At any rate, I cleaned and scraped the contacts as best as I could and tried to bend the contacts so they made a tighter connection and that little trick got rid of my problem. I will repalce the connector in the future to fix the problem properly.

I hope this helps somebody out there.

sabregl

Release the handbrake before you start your car up. Its a normal grounding problem. It will go away in a week if your drive your car daily.

Back