• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Bringing TMPS to the NSX! Plus adding more power (ports, that is)

I like to closely monitor tire pressures on my vehicles because I have lost some irreplaceable wheels due to "rapid deflation" events with potholes, screws, nails and such. Of course I check the pressures with my reliable Accutire pressure gauge before trips but this is a bit of a hassle and does nothing once the car is in motion. A TPMS system is what I needed so I began my search to evaluate what was on the market and what would be the best fit for me. As always, I wanted the cleanest solution available and I found a great option - the Steel Mate TPMS-85. It uses bluetooth connected, wireless, valve stem sensors and displays tire pressure AND temperature data onto your iPhone or Android device, so no wiring is required. Perfect!
attachment.php

I sourced a unit from Amazon and installed it on my Prelude, as a beta test. I used my iPhone for the display in the 'lude setup. After running the system for several months, I decided that it had the right stuff to be used on the NSX. I sourced a second setup from eBay and saved $20 but had to wait a couple of weeks for that one to arrive. The Amazon unit had shown up in only 3 days and time is money, as they say. The bluetooth dongle is an attractive device that plugs into the cigarette lighter and features the requisite tire cross-section graphic and exclamation point. The graphic is normally green but turns amber and emits an alarm when there is an issue (more on that later). The dongle also has an illuminated, blue, bluetooth icon that displays when it is paired with the sensors. The ash tray door will JUST close over the dongle:

attachment.php

I was due a new set of tires, so I had the good dudes at Discount Tire install the special valve stems for me at that time. The valve stem caps were pretty hideous so I sourced some cool laser-etched NSX logo-ed replacements from eBay:

attachment.php

After downloading the free Steel Mate app and making a quick initial configuration, the data displayed on my Nav Pod screen (a Nexus 7, detailed here )!

attachment.php

By touching on one of the quadrants of the display, you can see a graphical representation:

attachment.php

Here's a shot of the components inside the car:

attachment.php

The app allows the user to setup audible alarms that sound when the pressures become too high or low, to alert the driver to take action. In the Prelude, this works perfectly because the tire pressures are identical, front to rear. The NSX, however, has different pressures so that creates an issue because the app has no provisions for individual pressure settings. It may be possible to find a happy medium to set the alert at but I will have to wait for summertime temperatures to experiment. For now, I just have the alarm turned off but having instant visual verification of pressures puts my mind at ease :smile:

So, now that the cigarette lighter adapter is taken up with the dongle, where do I charge my phone? There are all kinds of ugly Y-adapters that would work to duplicate the power port but that is not clean. After a bit of head scratching, I decided to install a dedicated power port and I decided to use the snap-out panel just below the glove box to house it. I think that in some earlier car models, this panel covers the computer port but in my '02, this area is empty and available. The little plastic snap in panel is readily available from oemacuraparts.com and costs only $3.50 so it was a very low risk experiment. I removed the panel and taped it off for protection before using a Forstner bit to drill a perfectly sized hole for the port:

attachment.php

I removed the nut from the port and threaded it into the panel, simply by slowly turning it until it seated:

attachment.php

To get the panel to snap back in properly, I had to remove the tray below the glove box and drill out 3 Pop rivets to remove the sheet metal bracket from the tray. That gave me the clearance that I needed for a good fit:

attachment.php

I reinstalled the tray, wired the port to power and ground and viola! More power :biggrin:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

I'm really happy with how everything turned out :biggrin:

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 1,108
  • IMG_4384.jpg
    IMG_4384.jpg
    174.1 KB · Views: 1,092
  • IMG_4383.jpg
    IMG_4383.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 1,096
  • IMG_4388.jpg
    IMG_4388.jpg
    166.6 KB · Views: 1,087
  • IMG_4419.jpg
    IMG_4419.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 1,088
  • IMG_4389.jpg
    IMG_4389.jpg
    206.3 KB · Views: 1,081
  • IMG_4369.jpg
    IMG_4369.jpg
    168.6 KB · Views: 1,077
  • IMG_4344.jpg
    IMG_4344.jpg
    192.4 KB · Views: 1,080
  • IMG_4375.jpg
    IMG_4375.jpg
    275.8 KB · Views: 1,074
  • IMG_4377.jpg
    IMG_4377.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 1,072
  • IMG_4378.jpg
    IMG_4378.jpg
    173.4 KB · Views: 1,076
  • IMG_4380.jpg
    IMG_4380.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 1,069
Last edited:
Looking great as always. I enjoy your write ups. They are well documented. This looks like a very inexpensive yet trick mod. Thanks for posting this.

Absolutely amazing!! Wade, you never cease to amaze me with your technical wizadry!

Nice! I could use a TPMS setup for my NSX.

Nice! I could use a TPMS setup for my NSX.

I highly recommend the Steel Mate TPMS-85 setup. It is so much more informative than any factory system that I have seen. I'm running it in 2 vehicles, using both iPhone and Android devices, and have no problems with either. There is another version of the Steel Mate that uses valve cap replacements as the sensors, so not tire dismounting is required but they are large, hideous and prone to theft. Other systems require wiring in a dedicated display panel.

Hello,
I was studying up on your cabin refresh project , (And your recent accident
:-( ....) came across this thread which is great.....BUT

that's not a nexus 7 tablet.

Did you switch?
Why?
Anything different I should know about the install?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Hello,
I was studying up on your cabin refresh project , (And your recent accident
:-( ....) came across this thread which is great.....BUT

that's not a nexus 7 tablet.

Did you switch?
Why?
Anything different I should know about the install?

Yes, that is the same 1st gen (2012) Nexus7 tablet that's I originally put in there. It has served me well but I did have to replace the original battery.

Yes, the accident sucked beyond belief but she will be good as new and back on the road soon :smile:

Yes, that is the same 1st gen (2012) Nexus7 tablet that's I originally put in there. It has served me well but I did have to replace the original battery.

Yes, the accident sucked beyond belief but she will be good as new and back on the road soon [emoji2]
The buttons (back home and menu) look more right justified in this thread than the last.
Also screen looks matte vs shiny.

Thought it was different

Hi [MENTION=24014]clean_green[/MENTION] -

Do you happen to have the dimensions of the steel mate cigarette adapter you used? The TP-85 model has been discontinued, so I want to see if another one will fit, but not sure what the max length can be.

Curious how the durability of this unit has been over the last year. How has it been acting?

It looks like they have a TPMS-05 that would interface with a monitor, and since i'm planning on an aftermarket head unit with video in, I think that might be the way I will go.

My tire got a flat recently and it got me thinking of a tpms in the car for safety reasons. This post was 3 years ago. Have anyone installed a tpms recently with good results? I don’t have a aftermarket screen to display pressure so will have to rely on my iPhone. Thanks

Just wanted to report that my TPMS is still going strong! I actually installed this system on my '97 Prelude before the NSX and that one is still going strong too. Unfortunately, the TPMS-85 looks to have been discontinued so I am not sure what I will do if/when the sensors start to go out.

[MENTION=24014]clean_green[/MENTION]

I certainly like having a direct pressure indication too on my cars and added this Orange TPMS system a long time ago to my NSX. It looks like this system is still available on ebay. I've had no problems with it over the past 3 years.

FYI - I think most of these sensors have standardized transmitting frequencies so you can probably buy generic ones later.

I'm currently designing a new digital dash, but I like stand-alone direct feedback at a glance when driving spiritedly. That's why I went with this Orange system.

20210605_200252.jpg

That's really nice! I considered the Orange too but that big display really doesn't work with the OEM covered-socket setup.

I was hoping that there was a standard for TPM Sensors.

@clean_green

I certainly like having a direct pressure indication too on my cars and added this Orange TPMS system a long time ago to my NSX. It looks like this system is still available on ebay. I've had no problems with it over the past 3 years.

FYI - I think most of these sensors have standardized transmitting frequencies so you can probably buy generic ones later.

I'm currently designing a new digital dash, but I like stand-alone direct feedback at a glance when driving spiritedly. That's why I went with this Orange system.

View attachment 169925

Back