• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

[Bugs] WTF?

What is the deal with bugs and the nose of an NSX. My car can be dead spotless and by the time I get to the mailbox 35 bugs have committed suicide on the nose of my car. Damn. I'm tired of driving a 90% clean car all the time. I've had dozens of cars and never had one attract so many BUGS.
mad5.gif

Is there some kind of repellant or something to keep bug guts off my nose?

biggrin5.gif

Last edited:
For getting bugs off, which I never really have a problem unless I drive on the freeway between Nor Cal & So Cal, I've always used this:

60hm55d.jpg

Spray it all over the front of your car over the bugs, let it sit for about a minute, and then wipe away & wash the excess off. Cleans the front right up with no bugs left.

Otherwise, if you're looking for something to keep the bugs off while driving, I've heard of people using a slippery substance on the front of the car, like spraying PAM on the front. Of course I wouldn't do that to any of my cars, but the principle does make sense. And people who say that they've done it, say that it does work. Although I can imagine that when you stop, the sweet oily sent will attract bugs to the front of your car :tongue:

gotz to go fast!!!

Mirroredshades said:
by the time I get to the mailbox 35 bugs have committed suicide on the nose of my car
On the way to the mailbox? That explains it: You’re driving too slow. The best way to remove bugs from the bumper is ensure they have a zero chance of getting there in the first place. And the best way to do that is to drive freakin fast.

Your bumper aint no bug zapper, so quit acting like it is. It may not make much sense at first, but I recommend driving like a bat out of hell at all times / fast enough to sustain a decent bow shock. Once you are moving pretty good, the pressure differential at the shock threshold will instantly vaporize any would be bumper splats.

But, if you can't get a respectable shock going due to road conditions, low atmospheric pressure, or speed enforcement consequences, the stuff that Newman mentioned is not so bad.

Attachments

• bugs.JPG
    bugs.JPG
    15.8 KB · Views: 470
road/kill: Does the bow shock velocity involve a flux capacitor or 88mph? :biggrin:

road/kill that is some funny stuff. I was cracking up at your graph. The piece de resistance was how everything looks like it is written in crayon and pencil. LOL, my wife walked past as I was just scrolling down to the graph and I believe that she really thinks that I waste time on prime. :biggrin:

If you drive near farm lands and rural areas, you will hit bugs no matter what car you drive. The best thing to do is make sure you have a good coat of wax on your car, expecially the front in this case and wash the car immediately after trips. If it sits for a long time, you will then need to use chemicals to get the bugs off. Good luck.

Malibu Rapper said:
One time I was driving about 150 mph when I hit this bug and it made the biggest mess on my windshield. When I hit him, I briefly saw the top quark. Just thought I'd share this... I wonder if he's still alive...

9919150mph-bugsplat-med.JPG
That looks more like bird poop, or bird poop mixed with dead bug.

Anyone know the last thing that goes through a bugs mind when it hits your windsheild?
:biggrin:

One of the bugs I hit the other day was so loud I swear the bug must have been wearing a helmet!

fannsx said:
That looks more like bird poop, or bird poop mixed with dead bug.

It was definitely a bug. The forensics indicate it was a june bug due to the size of the splatter and the time of the year in which I hit the bug. It was also hit late at night which is when the little guys become active. I hope he's doing OK.

steveny said:
Anyone know the last thing that goes through a bugs mind when it hits your windsheild?

HAHA, an old one!
bootyshake.gif

Newman said:
For getting bugs off, which I never really have a problem unless I drive on the freeway between Nor Cal & So Cal, I've always used this:

60hm55d.jpg

Spray it all over the front of your car over the bugs, let it sit for about a minute, and then wipe away & wash the excess off. Cleans the front right up with no bugs left.

I bought some of this stuff today. It works very good, even on bugs guts a 1/4 inch thick!

I hit a june bug going 160 in my bro's Firebird, lets just say that I thought his windshield was going to crack......after that I slowed down to 120 and looked for the fanitical ones, you know the one's that have that bug that looks at your car and says"YOUR MINE B!%$#".

I hit something once on the way to Las Vegas...

It was late at night and made a loud cracking sound when it hit.. At first I thought that it was a bird turd but as the mass spread across my windshield, I think that I saw bone... I ruled out moths (moths don't have bones right?) or birds (didn't see any feathers).. Could it have been a flying squirrel? :wink:

Newman said:

60hm55d.jpg

Otherwise, if you're looking for something to keep the bugs off while driving, I've heard of people using a slippery substance on the front of the car, like spraying PAM on the front. Of course I wouldn't do that to any of my cars, but the principle does make sense. And people who say that they've done it, say that it does work. Although I can imagine that when you stop, the sweet oily sent will attract bugs to the front of your car :tongue:

Be forwarned... I don't know about this product specifically but most "bug and tar" removers also do a great job of removing wax. No biggie but you'll probably want to re-wax the area in question after you've used this kind of product.

blknsxnoc said:
I hit something once on the way to Las Vegas...

It was late at night and made a loud cracking sound when it hit.. At first I thought that it was a bird turd but as the mass spread across my windshield, I think that I saw bone... I ruled out moths (moths don't have bones right?) or birds (didn't see any feathers).. Could it have been a flying squirrel? :wink:

Small bat?

What kind of rear-view mirror is that?

Malibu Rapper said:
One time I was driving about 150 mph when I hit this bug and it made the biggest mess on my windshield. When I hit him, I briefly saw the top quark. Just thought I'd share this... I wonder if he's still alive...

9919150mph-bugsplat-med.JPG

Mirroredshades said:
What is the deal with bugs and the nose of an NSX. My car can be dead spotless and by the time I get to the mailbox 35 bugs have committed suicide on the nose of my car. Damn. I'm tired of driving a 90% clean car all the time.

Check the top of the rear bumper, and make that an 80% clean car. Feel any better now? :wink: :biggrin:

Mirroredshades said:
What is the deal with bugs and the nose of an NSX. My car can be dead spotless and by the time I get to the mailbox 35 bugs have committed suicide on the nose of my car. Damn. I'm tired of driving a 90% clean car all the time. I've had dozens of cars and never had one attract so many BUGS.
mad5.gif

Is there some kind of repellant or something to keep bug guts off my nose?

biggrin5.gif

Have you considered a 3M bra? I'm from NC so I know what you are talking about when you refer to these suicidal bugs :biggrin:

Back